Hi there!

LeChucky

Jul 28, 2010
Hi guys, I am pretty new to DSLR photography, recently just bought a D90 with the 18~105mm kit lens. Been googling for information about photography and I found this awesome forum. Hope to learn something from you guys!

Went to the zoo last week to test out the camera and I am begining to learn more stuff about my camera! Some shots are acceptable and some appear quite dark. ( still learning though, i am using 'A' and 'S' mode for most of the shots (trying not to use too much AUTO;p))

Trying to take a shot under a shade of a moving tiger and can't get a clear shot LOL. Quite fustrating.:angry:

There's a few events coming up (some friends are getting married and some friends celebrating baby's first birthday) and I want to help up with some photo taking.

Any advice on how should i configure my camera for events like this? Should I invest in another lense or do i need a flash gun? I am on a budget right now probably can only get 1 of those. ( Already own a cheap tripod;p)

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!:sweatsm::sweatsm:

Well if you are still unsure abt the modes, u better stick to 'P' or even auto as it is easier for you to take shots during certain parts of the event...For lens wise i believe your kit lens shall suffice till you are able to handle the 'm','a' and 's' proficiently...a flash gun would be useful...if you are on a tight budget maybe you would take a look at the B&S at clubsnap???
PS: pls ensure your cheap tripod is able to handle your camera's weight

Welcome to CS :)
Please read up the manual, that will help you understand the functions of the camera & how to use the different modes.
Your current lens is quite sufficient for now. It'll be good if you get a flash. But you have to decide yourself which you need most, the lens or flash.
Most important thing is to read the manual.

welcome, basically u need fast shutter speed to freeze motion, but this can restrict light and underexpose the shot, so u need to decrease fnumber to use a bigger aperture and let in more light, may b this isn't enough and higher iso is needed, but then this can result in very noisy image, may b use flash but then the effect can be harsh, not nice, so diffuse the flash...wa many things to learn ;p

probably best is to join more experience bro here for a photo shoot session and learn as much as you can before the events. :)

Welcome:)

Hi welcome to CS!!:)
Shoot more, Post more, Ask more and you will Learn more!!;)
Happy shooting :thumbsup:

Went to the zoo last week to test out the camera and I am begining to learn more stuff about my camera! Some shots are acceptable and some appear quite dark. ( still learning though, i am using 'A' and 'S' mode for most of the shots (trying not to use too much AUTO))

Trying to take a shot under a shade of a moving tiger and can't get a clear shot LOL. Quite fustrating.

Welcome to CS.

First thing to do is to look at other people's pictures and see what settings they used. Here is mine. Converted to B&W.

3928555799_784ea69a1c_o.jpg

Model = NIKON D90
Exposure Time = 1/200"
F Number = F5.6
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Metering Mode = Pattern
Flash = Off
Focal Length = 200mm

On a tripod.

There's a few events coming up (some friends are getting married and some friends celebrating baby's first birthday) and I want to help up with some photo taking.

Any advice on how should i configure my camera for events like this? Should I invest in another lense or do i need a flash gun? I am on a budget right now probably can only get 1 of those. ( Already own a cheap tripod)

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Do you have an external flash gun like SB600 or SB900? If you do, set your camera on P mode, and mount the flash on the camera. Turn the head to point the flash at the ceiling. Set ISO to around 400 or 800. And shoot.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the valuable feedback :) Yea I should try and find out more about my camera and lens before I jump into new stuff:):bsmilie:

Hi guys, I am pretty new to DSLR photography, recently just bought a D90 with the 18~105mm kit lens. Been googling for information about photography and I found this awesome forum. Hope to learn something from you guys!

Went to the zoo last week to test out the camera and I am begining to learn more stuff about my camera! Some shots are acceptable and some appear quite dark. ( still learning though, i am using 'A' and 'S' mode for most of the shots (trying not to use too much AUTO;p))

Trying to take a shot under a shade of a moving tiger and can't get a clear shot LOL. Quite fustrating.:angry:

Any advice on how should i configure my camera for events like this? Should I invest in another lense or do i need a flash gun? I am on a budget right now probably can only get 1 of those. ( Already own a cheap tripod;p)

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!:sweatsm::sweatsm:

Hi and welcome to clubsnap!
the first things you need to learn are how the different metering modes work, and of course brush up on the basics of exposure (shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed) and how they inter-relate.
I advocate self-discovery by shooting with an experimental setup and always with an inquisitive mind. Take many many shots (from your cheap tripod), changing a setting each time and thus figuring out how the setting affects the outcome.

all the best!