Hi There - Can any recommend a Beginner Set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

offroad

Apr 11, 2009
East
Hi there,

I always wanted to pick up photography many years back. As I didn't really have the time, and more over getting a DSLR isn't cheap, I hestitated to start this hobby.

The time has finally came when I was browsing this website for the last couple of months. The more I browse through the Photo gallery section, the more inspired I am. You guys really took great pictures and I want to be able to take such great pics myself.

Is there any of you could advise what kind of DLSR camera is situable for a beginner? I'm looking for a used set and budget is about $700.

You can PM me, if necessary.

Thanks much.

go for a second hand Canon 450D with kit lens. should cost about 800++ but its a good set which can last u for the next 3 years at least.

Hi there,

I always wanted to pick up photography many years back. As I didn't really have the time, and more over getting a DSLR isn't cheap, I hestitated to start this hobby.

The time has finally came when I was browsing this website for the last couple of months. The more I browse through the Photo gallery section, the more inspired I am. You guys really took great pictures and I want to be able to take such great pics myself.

Is there any of you could advise what kind of DLSR camera is situable for a beginner? I'm looking for a used set and budget is about $700.

You can PM me, if necessary.

Thanks much.

well, now it comes down to which camp you want to set up your tent.
if you intend to go Canon, then i guess EOS 400D would be a great camera to start off with (imho).
i am sure you can find it at your budget. you can try Clubsnap's Buy/Sell section.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501013
this is a very good buy, i think.
get it before it flies off to someone else. less than 2,000 shutter count is plus point. hopefully he didn't have it reset.

Last edited:
Thanks to both rajahchindian and blue_kevinsg. I saw some selling Canon EOS 1000 & Nikon D60. Are these sets reasonable to last for the next few years? Heard D60 accessories rather ex. is it true?

Last edited:
Nikon D60 no bulit in motor so cannot AF on new lens.
still can use but have to use manual focus.

If compared D60 and 1000D
1000D will be a better choice.

:)

You may wana look at the D80 :)

HI ! if can go for the Canon 450d , is it a better set at least can last u some years b4 u change to FF camera . cheers ! im using Canon 450D myself

Nikon users will recommend Nikon and Canon users will recommend Canon. I would suggest that you try the different brands and see which suits you best.

Nikon - D60 (manual focus only), 2nd hand D70/D80.
Canon - 1000D, 450D, 2nd hand 350D/400D.
Sony - A200, A100 (which has been obsolete so a bit difficult to get a new set), 2nd hand A300/A350.
Olumpus - E420, E520, 2nd hand E500/E510
Pentax - K200D, 2nd hand K100D/K10D

Try out the functions and see which fits your hand better.

D80? Wow... kind of big jump from D60 or 400/450. Anyone came across D80 with good price? Can consider if there is :)

Nikon users will recommend Nikon and Canon users will recommend Canon. I would suggest that you try the different brands and see which suits you best.

Nikon - D60 (manual focus only), 2nd hand D70/D80.
Canon - 1000D, 450D, 2nd hand 350D/400D.
Sony - A200, A100 (which has been obsolete so a bit difficult to get a new set), 2nd hand A300/A350.
Olumpus - E420, E520, 2nd hand E500/E510
Pentax - K200D, 2nd hand K100D/K10D

Try out the functions and see which fits your hand better.

Hehe... I suspected that. Seems like its lidat wan:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Anyway, think I got the hint... thanks for all the suggestions man

buy what brand or model also nvm
its the person behind the cam.
:)

For Canon, 400D or 450D
For Nikon, D40X or D60
For Sony, A300

You won't go wrong with either brands or any of the above DSLR.

1 of the main thing to note is, you're not buying just a camera, you are buying into an entire system. So get the system you are comfortable with and line-up that you prefer. :)

For Canon, 400D or 450D
For Nikon, D40X or D60
For Sony, A300

You won't go wrong with either brands or any of the above DSLR.

1 of the main thing to note is, you're not buying just a camera, you are buying into an entire system. So get the system you are comfortable with and line-up that you prefer. :)
true you are indeed investing on an entire system.
and this photography hobby of yours will definitely dig a hole in your pocket.

the thing about photography (imho),
body is secondary
lenses should be primary
lenses will definitely costs you a bomb.
and this may or may not help, but canon lenses are generally cheaper than nikon.
on the other hand, you can always go for third party lenses.

I would suggest a E-420.

It's light and the kit lens (14-42mm) is quite reasonable (except for the F range) but if not particular it should be fine. Especially appealing for beginners, is that the E-420's interface and user panel is very user friendly as with all Olympus (imho). And perhaps when going a lil' further in expanding ur lens, you could probably get the 40-150mm lens. The + point is dat it's small and light good to pack around.

Cowz.

Isn't it very misleading to say that the Nikon D60 can only manual focus? It DOES auto-focus with AFS (Nikon) and HSM (Sigma) lenses, among other brands like Tamron and Tokina, you know? Besides, the AFS 18-55 and AFS 55-200 should be good enough for a beginner, isn't it? That is, of course, TS intends to consider Nikon camp.

450D with kits lens 2nd hand at least 900-1k

400D 2nd hand is more affordable, body u can get 450 onwards (closer to 500) and u can get 2nd hand 17-85mm for 400+ which gives u better range and quality compared to the kit lens. 17-85 on crop yields 27-136mm zoom range.

good option is 50mm 1.8 which goes for 100+.

nikon, if u get a 2nd hand body, u can try to get the new 35mm 1.8 which is cheap with built in AF-S. perhaps pick up a D60 body and pair with the 35mm. 35mm is brand new model so no 2nd hand, and a lot of places sold out i think.

Go to shops and have a feel of the cams that have been mentioned here... the most impt factor IMO is to make sure you feel comfortable with the cam... the grip and how it feels in your hands... the weight is another thing... some brands may be heavier and some lighter... it's really all about which one will suit you the most... i tried a few major brands before i settled on Nikon!

Status
Not open for further replies.