Hi newbie need help !

roxinogen

Jun 29, 2010
Hi ,

I need some comments on whether to purchase a G-11 or EOS 1000D ..
I am kinda sick of wasting money on compact cameras which produces weak photo quality and I don't mind investing in an entry level DSLR to pick up the basics before progressing onto more expensive DSLR.

COMMENTS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !

before i dispense advice...

have you wondered why you are getting weak photo quality?

instead of investing in equipment, how about investing in the skills before you pick up a dslr (a pns is just as good).

just my 2 cents worth.

i would choose a eos1000d.

Please understand the photography itself, regardless of what camera you are using, requires you to have some understanding of how light works and how a basic camera works.

On top of that, getting good pictures require to understand what is a good and what is a bad composition.

Try reading up and beefing up on the principles.

Investing into an SLR/dSLR is more than jsut buying the camera, lens(es), accessories, and even knowledge. It can be a pitless hobby, with you throwing money endlessly to get the best results.

If you are not ready to get into SLR/dSLR, get the G11.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Hi ,

I need some comments on whether to purchase a G-11 or EOS 1000D ..
I am kinda sick of wasting money on compact cameras which produces weak photo quality and I don't mind investing in an entry level DSLR to pick up the basics before progressing onto more expensive DSLR.

COMMENTS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !
it really depends on the conditions which you use the camera in.

so post a picture of what you consider weak quality, the conditions it was taken and the exif data intact. we will take it from there whether camera issue or user issue.

I feel the G11 is quite good for compact. Probably the main difference that makes for getting Dslr would be the ability to use different glasses for different requirement...btw, what is the weak quality that bugs you?

Last edited:
I am also a biggener just sharing my experience how I am progressing.
I bought my first DSLR(Nikon D40-used) from a clubsnap market place.
Before my first buy, I used my pns(Fujifilm S5700) for about 2 years. Actually I learnt basic understanding of photography on this pns camera.
Then, when I moved to DSLR, I knew what I am missing and what value a DSLR can add to my photography.
If you think you have spent enough time with pns(including exploration of the manual controls if ur pns have it) and now know you what pain DSLR can heal, go for it.
I suggest for your initial try, you can buy a used Nikon D40 from clubsnap market place, it will cost you from 400 to 500 SGD with kit lens and basic acc.
You can see my journey at www.flickr.com/imm_arshad

iarshad has a point....i started out with a used 300D to learn and now i am shooting S-League and various other sport events with a K20D. Its no 10fps monster but works quite well if practice the timing of the event beforehand and knowing the conditions of the venue. Even the veteran photogs mention that it was like years since last saw a Pentax camera used to shoot soccer. Besides if needed, the K20D can shoot 21fps burst to capture just about any action.

>>>http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717861

36955_409989293165_835728165_4353411_1880852_n.jpg

37416_409996073165_835728165_4353556_7871174_n.jpg

35752_409989113165_835728165_4353389_2384605_n.jpg

Taken with humble 75-300mm while i await my fast telephoto to arrive.

A DSLR is not just a camera but an entire system so do know what you are getting into before investing in one.

Last edited:
Don't jump into getting a DSLR thinking that it will solve your problem of "weak photo quality". Having a strong understanding of the basics of photography goes a much longer way. I have seen brilliant pics taken by a PnS, so it's not just all about the equipment.

thanks for all your valuable comments, i am just an avid beginner !

Thanks for all the comments !