Hi, Newbie here

spaceman51

Dec 30, 2010
Hello. I just joined CS. Happy New Year to Everyone.

My interest in photography just started recently and thinking of getting a camera....

Is Nikon L110 a good camera to start with? Cos I have no experience at all and had just started to learn the basics, so I am thinking to start off with a camera that I can pick up fast but steady.

Will really appreciate if anyone can give me advice....

Thank you very much.....:)Cheerios

Hi, welcome to CS :)
Note that the L110 is not a DSLR .

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply and the info (I was clueless)... I was just reading the sticky on which DSLR to buy for newbie.... gotta do more research... Arigato

Welcome to CS.
Let me see from what I gather from usual replies
" There is no bad camera, it is the person behind the camera that counts" Given you have done some research it can't possibly be not good anyway.

MY personal feel is a mega zoom point and shoot probably can give you a good learning experience before you get your first DSLR. Though I can't really be sure there aren't other compact PnS that have comparable exposure and aperture settings as my first camera was a mega zoom as well, Panasonic Lumix FZ series in fact.

Just make sure you really don't mind the size. You may want to consider your family needs as well in case they may want to use your camera.

Have fun !

Welcome to CS . . . :)

spaceman51 said:
Hello. I just joined CS. Happy New Year to Everyone.

My interest in photography just started recently and thinking of getting a camera....

Is Nikon L110 a good camera to start with? Cos I have no experience at all and had just started to learn the basics, so I am thinking to start off with a camera that I can pick up fast but steady.

Will really appreciate if anyone can give me advice....

Thank you very much.....:)Cheerios

Welcome to clubsnap! :)
I personally feel that having something with more manual controls will give you more opportunity to explore. It need not be a DSLR. such a camera should keep you occupied for quite some time, unless you're a really fast learner ;)
Anyway, what is your budget like?

Welcome:)

I'm just starting out myself, and from my personal POV I suggest you start with a superzoom, because it eliminates the hassle of having to change lenses when you want to explore various options like wide-angle or telephoto shots. That, and the small-as-heck sensor found in superzooms do a very good job for forcing you to think how to best 'eliminate' any background distractions since you have minimal control over the depth of field (aka background blur).

And of course, superzooms usually allow for some amount of manual control. Of course, there are some superzooms which are essentially nothing more than glorified PnS cameras which grant almost no manual control at all, so you have to do your own research first.

Pentax Kr.
Very well featured DSLR with good performance at ~$690 only.
Probably costs around the ball park of some prosumer compact cameras

Welcome to CS:)

Hi and welcome to CS spaceman51 :)

The Nikon L110 looks good, except that it has no manual overrides, which means you will not get to play with aperture- or shutter speed priority modes when you are ready to advance further.

I guess it is alright if you want to use the predetermined scene modes and let the camera decide the settings for you.

Playing with the 10x zoom and learning how to compose your photos are just as important ;)

Welcome!