Hi newbie here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binzento

Oct 29, 2004
Hi everyone. i'm kinda new to this forum even though i sign up in 2004. Can't even remember for what reason i sign up then :bsmilie:. Anyway hope to learn more about photography from you guys :)

Also i have a question that i would to ask you guys. Would Nikon 18-55mm VR lens make a good portrait lens? What lens should i get for shooting portraits? Cause i brought a Nikon D5000 a few weeks ago and the 18-55mm is its kit lens.

Any lens can be used for portraits. It's up to you and your style how you want to use it. Most would recommend looking into a large-aperture lens though, like a 50mm f/1.8.

Any lens can be used for portraits. It's up to you and your style how you want to use it. Most would recommend looking into a large-aperture lens though, like a 50mm f/1.8.

agree...especially if u want nice bokeh . get 50mm f1.8. on resale market its only abt 150

agree...especially if u want nice bokeh . get 50mm f1.8. on resale market its only abt 150

Hi Rashkae and wildsoyabean. Tks for the recommendation. Just to confirm with you all. The 50mm f/1.8 can auto focus right? Also is it right for me to say that since the lens doesn't have VR so when using the lens to shoot my hands must be very steady right?

Hi Rashkae and wildsoyabean. Tks for the recommendation. Just to confirm with you all. The 50mm f/1.8 can auto focus right? Also is it right for me to say that since the lens doesn't have VR so when using the lens to shoot my hands must be very steady right?

Um you're using a D5000 right? The 50mm 1.8 wont autofocus on it, need to manual focus. Other than that, the 50mm is a very fast lens, so you dont have to worry about VR. I use one myself and its one of the best and cheapest lens ever.

Um you're using a D5000 right? The 50mm 1.8 wont autofocus on it, need to manual focus. Other than that, the 50mm is a very fast lens, so you dont have to worry about VR. I use one myself and its one of the best and cheapest lens ever.

Hi Ang Pow. I have never tried manual focus before, is it hard to do? Also is there a lens that is as good as the 50mm f/1.8 that has auto focus?

Hi Ang Pow. I have never tried manual focus before, is it hard to do? Also is there a lens that is as good as the 50mm f/1.8 that has auto focus?

On the small viewfinder or via the liveview, it'll be pretty hard, but there's a focus confirmation light.

If you want to autofocus (which will make your life MUCH easier) then get an AF-I or AF-s lens, but you'll need to fork out extra $$$

Hi,

I'm a D5000 user as well, y not consider 35mm f1.8? Its AFS lens and can auto focus with D5000. :) just my 2cents.

On the small viewfinder or via the liveview, it'll be pretty hard, but there's a focus confirmation light.

If you want to autofocus (which will make your life MUCH easier) then get an AF-I or AF-s lens, but you'll need to fork out extra $$$

Hi,

I'm a D5000 user as well, y not consider 35mm f1.8? Its AFS lens and can auto focus with D5000. :) just my 2cents.

Hi guys, think there isn't a AF-S version for the 50mm f/1.8 lens. But did come across a AF-S 50mm f/1.4 lens. Also clearriver suggested the AF-S 35mm f/1.8 lens. So between the AF-S 50mm f/1.8 and the AF-S 35mm f/1.8 lens, which is better for portrait?

Also is there a sigma lens that is as good as the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens? :)

yes there is a 50mm sigma . its quite a popular lens too.
i never heard of AFS 50mm f1.4. there is current no AFS version for f1.8.
the next best would be to use 35mm f1.8. which is just as good as 50mm f1.8 or some says better when using dx bodies. 35mm is equal to abt 50mm on fx bodies.
but of course 35mm will be more expensive than 50mm f1.8.

If i were u i would clearly go for 35mm f1.8 as i find autofocus impt to me.

yes there is a 50mm sigma . its quite a popular lens too.
i never heard of AFS 50mm f1.4. there is current no AFS version for f1.8.
the next best would be to use 35mm f1.8. which is just as good as 50mm f1.8 or some says better when using dx bodies. 35mm is equal to abt 50mm on fx bodies.
but of course 35mm will be more expensive than 50mm f1.8.

If i were u i would clearly go for 35mm f1.8 as i find autofocus impt to me.

Apologise first if my question seems stupid, but may i ask is the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 and AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G the same lens? Cause i search the net, some sites call it AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 and some call it AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G, so i'm kinda confuse...

Also is the 35mm f/1.8 good for all type of portrait shooting, like half body portrait, full body and shoulder portrait? Anyone using the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 mind sharing your experience with me on what sort of portrait shots is the lens good for? And what are its drawbacks? Tks :D

Read from the other forum, that the 50mm f/1.8 when use on DX camera, like my D5000, due to the crop factor will become a 75mm and the 35mm will be a 52.5mm. But that only applies to lens that isn't DX right? So the crop factor shouldn't affect the 35mm since its a DX lens right?

Also is the 35mm f/1.8 good for all type of portrait shooting, like half body portrait, full body and shoulder portrait? Anyone using the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 mind sharing your experience with me on what sort of portrait shots is the lens good for? And what are its drawbacks? Tks :D

Read from the other forum, that the 50mm f/1.8 when use on DX camera, like my D5000, due to the crop factor will become a 75mm and the 35mm will be a 52.5mm. But that only applies to lens that isn't DX right? So the crop factor shouldn't affect the 35mm since its a DX lens right?

i would suggest reading the newbies guides on her a bit more.

1. At 35mm, you'll need to stand closer to the model to just get "over the shoulder" shots, and you'll need to deal with a bit of distortion already.

2. If mounted on a crop-sensor camera, the crop factor will apply to ALL lenses. All the lens focal distances are indicated in full 35mm format.

the new nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 should be good ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.