Hi Newbie here, intend to get a DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitemazz

Dec 26, 2009
Hi Guys,

Thinking of getting a DSLR for sometime, recently saw my frds gg into the interest of SLR.
Was at a shop yesterday and the guy told for begineer try to take the Canon 1000D is good enough. i am comparing both 50D and 1000D which should i get?

cheers,
vince

Hi Guys,

Thinking of getting a DSLR for sometime, recently saw my frds gg into the interest of SLR.
Was at a shop yesterday and the guy told for begineer try to take the Canon 1000D is good enough. i am comparing both 50D and 1000D which should i get?

cheers,
vince

Hi Vince,
I'm new here too :)
Maybe this can help http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/compare-digital-cameras/canon-eos-50d-canon-eos-1000d-4322_4323
I was looking at the Canon 50D before I got my NikonD300s :)

Welcome to CS. Cheers

Hi Guys,

cheers,
vince

Take a look at the reviews and then you can make your decision. There are also some comparisons between these 2 cameras. Basically, the 50D is able to shoot at a higher fps rate, can manage higher ISO quality, has a 15Mega pixel compare to 10 megapixel, is using Digic 4 processor instead of Digic 3, have 9 Autofocus points instead of 7, has a faster shutter spd 1/8000 s, higher resolution 3" screen, etc

Just a note, XS is the 1000D.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-50D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

Hi Guys,

cheers,
vince

Take a look at the Pentax K-x. Performance wise, if you are a pixel peeper, it is much better than the models mentioned here. ANd it cost below 1k.

See
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/80749-big-shock-canon-7d-nikon-d300s-pentax-k-x-iso-performance-big-shock.html

But seriously, the difference do not matter that much in most of our shooting needs.

Last edited:
Will be best to include ur budget so the CS bro/sis can advise u better :)

If you have decide Canon, you may start with either 450D or 500D.

if you haven't, try to look at all reviews online, especially those from dpreview.

Some factors to consider which brand, beside the technical data / spec;
1. Budget
2. Any friends using a particular brand (so sometimes can share lenses, and share experiences)
3. Ergonomic (some people less feel the importance of this)

Welcome to CS :) Go read up & find out more before buying. Go get a feel of the cameras at the shop & ask questions about the features. Weigh the differences, go with what suits you best ;)

Hi All Guru,

Thanks for your advice.

Budget: No budget. Just do not want to get somthing I will be regret.

Feel: tired 50D from my pals, feel is good, picture taken is clear and nice.
Never try 1000D coz none of my frds has it. No comments.

Reason Getting a Canon coz my bro and most pals is using Canon so they mention lens can swap and use save $$ also.

Cheers,

If they are willing to share their lenses, then yes by all means go for Canon. I would suggest getting a better model like the 500D and above.

If they are willing to share their lenses, then yes by all means go for Canon. I would suggest getting a better model like the 500D and above.

Bro you mean 500D is higher spec. compare to 50D?

Hi Guys,

cheers,
vince

1000D is good enough. Just learn to use it properly.
The issue IMO is that its not value for money enough.
Check out a camera like the Pentax Kx and see how much more the other brands are throwing in at the price point.

BTW, friends using the same brand usually counts for nothing unless they are willing to lend their lenses. Very often I don't even dare to borrow since some lenses are rare or expensive (paiseh somemore :embrass:).

If you have decide Canon, you may start with either 450D or 500D.

if you haven't, try to look at all reviews online, especially those from dpreview.

Some factors to consider which brand, beside the technical data / spec;
1. Budget
2. Any friends using a particular brand (so sometimes can share lenses, and share experiences)
3. Ergonomic (some people less feel the importance of this)

I just add on... i think 500D is out of stock in singapore cause i wanted to get 500D but now end up getting 5000 nikon

Now my colleague ask me to get a 7D as the kit package is not much of difference as compare to 50D price. Difference of $400-$500.
Or i can get a 2nd hand 40D to trial 1st till i master the shot then upgrade to 7D in future.
Any opinion?

If you can get a 2nd hand one then get and try. When you are ready and outgrow your camera and still has the interest, by that time you will be experienced enough to decide for yourself already. ;-)

Now my colleague ask me to get a 7D as the kit package is not much of difference as compare to 50D price. Difference of $400-$500.
Or i can get a 2nd hand 40D to trial 1st till i master the shot then upgrade to 7D in future.
Any opinion?

There's a $1,000 difference there. :bigeyes:

I would suggest getting a second-hand in you don't mind. :)

I'm trying to get rid of a brand new 1000D for $800. Kit lens included with extra battery and filter in already.

Not interested in using it so if u are interested, do let me know. Tripod also included, btwn. I already have my own.

If you can get a 2nd hand one then get and try. When you are ready and outgrow your camera and still has the interest, by that time you will be experienced enough to decide for yourself already. ;-)

Thank you bro, sure i will consider your suggestion.

Cheers,
vince

Nope, I said get at least a 500D. The 50D is definitely better than a 500D which is better than the 1000D.

Ok noted, will figure what to buy when i have decide.

cheers
vince

There's a $1,000 difference there. :bigeyes:

I would suggest getting a second-hand in you don't mind. :)

Yah, i am considering now on the 2nd hand option.

Cheers,
vince

Status
Not open for further replies.