Hi Newbie here! first post! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReDDeviLs_SRC

Feb 3, 2005
Hi guys, im a real noob in photography.
I would like to try learning phototaking, and would love to own a decent DSLR cam to practise and learn on the way.

what would be recommanded by you guys on the following,

1) 1st or 2nd hand DSLR. budget of $800+- not too far off the range. ofcause the cheaper the better for a newbie. will be using more on macro shots. (price for body only)
2) Canon or Nikon Brand
3) A sample pic below of what i hope to achieve.

and 1 last question, i know that shutter counts the lesser the better, but why isit so? and is it important when chosing a DSLR?
ok, going to read the guidelines made sticky here.
Thanks all!

BlueSeafan1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to CS

READ MORE
SHOOT more
Post more

All these have been discussed over and over again... just do a search.

hi welcome! to answer some of your questions ...

1) with a budget of $800, i suggest you may want to go for 2nd hand ones, but no it does not mean the cheaper the better. u seem to be intruiged by the macro and bokeh (blur background) effect, but ask yourself if you really want to at least give photography a real try, then you may want to increase your budget and go for a better camera which may last you a longer time. most people here upgrade their equip sooner or later anw.

2) there are already many entries regarding the canon and nikon issue. go look through the forums. but important thing is to go and try them out at shops or showrooms, get a feel of it i.e. the weight, the shape, the buttons ... only you will know for yourself.

3) shutter count the less the better, as each camera has a shutter life span, like 50,000 or maybe 100,000 (or more). when we purchase cameras we tend to want to check shutter count to see if the shops are selling us used sets. but we don't really pay much attention to shutter count after that because the rule is to just keep snapping away, the more shots the better you get. if lets say you really go crazy snapping a few thousand shots a day and hit your 50,000 quickly, the shutter can be changed for a price or for free free (when still under warranty i think).

hope this helps. have fun snapping away!

Last edited:
Hi guys, im a real noob in photography.
I would like to try learning phototaking, and would love to own a decent DSLR cam to practise and learn on the way.

what would be recommanded by you guys on the following,

1) 1st or 2nd hand DSLR. budget of $800+- not too far off the range. ofcause the cheaper the better for a newbie. will be using more on macro shots. (price for body only)
2) Canon or Nikon Brand
3) A sample pic below of what i hope to achieve.

and 1 last question, i know that shutter counts the lesser the better, but why isit so? and is it important when chosing a DSLR?
ok, going to read the guidelines made sticky here.
Thanks all!

1) get a second hand body and lens if you're in a tight budget.. look around the B&S section, there are lots of good deal out there...

2) Grab a Canon (coz im canonian.. :bsmilie:)

Shutter counts is one thing to take in consideration when buying second hand body due to shutters lifespan of around 100,000 click (anybody can correct me if im wrong)..

Welcome to the world of photography bro.. enjoy shooting...

In addition, if you're really interested in macro photography.. you can consider getting prosumer compact camera... a lot of macro photogs here posted amazing results...

good morning fellas!
thanks for the informations!
fell aslp while reading the guides "early morning" haha!
can i check what is the price range of changing the shutters?
and also, since im so new, do you guys think i should try prosumers first?
regarding having my hands on a good piece of DSLR, was thinking of having a average 1 after lots of thinking. as i know myself.. i will be upgrading very soon once im hook on it! so perhaps now, just a average piece of equipment will do.
However with budget of $800+- possible to get body+ macro lens?
tks!

good morning fellas!
thanks for the informations!
fell aslp while reading the guides "early morning" haha!
can i check what is the price range of changing the shutters?
and also, since im so new, do you guys think i should try prosumers first?
regarding having my hands on a good piece of DSLR, was thinking of having a average 1 after lots of thinking. as i know myself.. i will be upgrading very soon once im hook on it! so perhaps now, just a average piece of equipment will do.
However with budget of ?
tks!

$800+- body+ macro lens can try our BNS section. :sweat:

Just sharing with you, i burst my budget after reading this forum :devil: ;)

haha, i believe budget are normally meant to be burst!
btw, my friend was recommanding me a canon 450D to try out first. what u guys think of it?

450D or 40D would be fine .... i myself started out with the 40D because i liked the feel of it. learning curve is not that steep so starting out with these if budget allows should be fine. do however note that your $800 budget will explode ...

for budget wise, yeah it tends to burst. you see especially when u start out, not only do you need to buy a camera with at least one lense to shoot, you have to consider like a dry cabinet, cleaning kit (cheap btw), and filters or hood depending on your lense or preference, and also a decent tripod (especially for night shots), and all these can add up to quite a substantial amount. i initially thought of stretching my budget to the edge to get a 50D, but to think of it thankfully I didnt as I wouldnt have gotten the money to get a dry cabi and tripod.

btw it would be nice to have a macro lense to shoot macro, but actually many other lenses can actually shoot macro too ...

oh, i did not know other lense can shot macro too. isit a good idea to go to shops to try out the feel of 40d and 450d first? tks!

If you are tight budget, go Canon. Nikon low end DSLR cant do auto focus with AFD lens, which i think AFD lens are very useful lens and cheap.

Get 2nd hand camera and lens from BnS. Newbies normally make mistake at the beginning when deciding what to buy, as they may not know what they really want.
I mean macro shot may be just a spark that interest you into photography, who knows you end up to be a professional portrait or landscape shooter one day?

Last edited:
okay,u got a point there.. thanks for all inputs.
will go to shops to try the 2 first,at the sametime wait for people to sell their 2nd hand ones. thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.