Hi, New here. Need help in buying prosumer camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirochan

Oct 30, 2007
Singapore
hi,

I am new to photography. I would like to get a prosumer camera that is easy to use and handle for me. I have a budget is less than $1000. Would like to have a camera that is versatile in taking pictures indoor and outdoor. my current camera can't seems to work well in indoor or at night and photos will easily become "grainy" or blurred. >.< it will be great if the camera able to take night shots too.

thanks for the help in adv. ^^

hmm, prosumer = bridge camera?

with a budget of $1000, i'd suggest u get a SLR (can even chk out the buy/sell section) and spend a few days understanding the relationship between shutter, aperture and ISO.

personally find bridge camera neither here nor there and some critical adjustments are hard to access.

a 2nd hand canon 20d and kit lens cost well below 1k and the performance at high ISO is commendable.

thanks for ur help attap seed~ =)

I was thinking of getting a SLR camera but after reading through some of the threads here, I found out that SLR cameras need a lot of maintenance and care. Currently I am still a student. ^^ will not be able to afford a lot of money on it throughout. >< But I am really interested in photography. Hoping to learn photography through a prosumer camera first. ^-^

I will definitely read through the threads here to learn more abt photography~ ^^

er, care to share specifically which aspect of SLR need "lots of maintenance and care" ? cus quite a number of ppl ve this impression.

perhaps u mean the need of sperate lenses and flash, then its entirelly up to the user to control the buying urge. MORE AND BETTER EQUIPMENT DUN AUTOMATICALLY MAKE BETTER PICTURES. a cheap and basic kit lens is all u need (i bought my 18-55 for $50) and i love it :).

in terms of durability and ease of operation, SLR is hard to beat, thats why professionals and most seasoned shooters use SLR.

another thing is, should u buy a 2nd hand SLR and decide to sell it (upgrade or cash tight), dun think u will lose much money. the same cant be said for a bridge camera.

read the articles in http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm.

i find his views refreshing and useful (although some might disagree).

thanks for your help! =D

I was reading thru this thread http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=282608.
thus I was slightly worried that DSLR camera need a lot of maintenance costs such as dry box and some service maintenance cost. ><

Hi sis,

actually it doesn't matter whether you're using a prosumer or a DSLR, I would still recommend you to get a dry cabinet to prevent fungus from growing in your gear. With the prices going downhill, DSLRs are becoming more affordable now. An example I can give you is that for the price of a Sony H9 prosumer, you can actually get a 2nd hand Sony A100 which is a 10MP DSLR and a 2nd hand kit lens is only selling for about $120 here.

The decision is still up to you, but I would say that the DSLR market is definitely growing.

thanks for everyone help in here. =)

Now I am quite sure of getting a SLR camera instead of prosumer camera.
I would like to buy a SLR camera either from Canon or Nikon.
I usually take pictures of still life. and my current camera cant seems to work well when taking photos in my room or either outdoors at night.
Is there any recommendations that I can get with my budget? =)
Just another qn, how much does a dry box roughly cost?

thanks again.

er, care to share specifically which aspect of SLR need "lots of maintenance and care" ? cus quite a number of ppl ve this impression.

let's see

1) sensor cleaning

and as if 1 wasn't bad enough, unless you like dust peppering your pictures

2) long term lens maintenance - dslr is not sealed like prosumer so dust might get in

certainly 1 is no problem if you diy.. but there are multitudes of people too scared to touch their own cameras despite the fact that sensor cleaning is an immensely easy job

in my thread i mentioned that the maintenance is significantly more substantial compared to prosumer.. i don't see any maintenance required other than the customary dry box and lens surface cleaning and at most a simple wipedown after phototrips. :dunno:

just to clarify ;)

I usually take pictures of still life. and my current camera cant seems to work well when taking photos in my room or either outdoors at night.

thanks again.

a dry BOX, which is simply an airtight box, where you put silica gel or moisture absorbants inside to keep moisture down.. costs about $20-$25.. can easily get second hand because people who buy dry cabinets sometimes get dry box free, which they do not need.. it's a stupid free gift if you ask me

a dry CABINET is larger, and usually uses electronic means to keep the moisture down, not entirely sure about the methodology but no need to keep replacing the silica gel/moisture absorbant.. depending on size, this would cost more but long term this is what you should be getting

thanks again.

The Nikon D40 or D80 if you can stretch a bit more will be good. The price of a dry cabinet depends on the size & brand. You can try to look for 1 at Carrefour Suntec or Digital Point at Suntec (2nd level a few shops away from carrefour).

The Nikon D40 or D80 if you can stretch a bit more will be good. The price of a dry cabinet depends on the size & brand. You can try to look for 1 at Carrefour Suntec or Digital Point at Suntec (2nd level a few shops away from carrefour).

...poison master :eek::eek:

either canon or nikon is good.

cus lots of ppl use them.

its easy to get wat u wan 2nd hand and easy to get rid of wat u dun need.

u shoot still life?

then, pls get a SLR. cus it will allow u to manual focus easily when necessary and the lens are able to stop down more (f16 and beyond). not to mention exposure compensation, more precise view finder.

and u would really only need one lens (a standard zoom or short tele).

oh, i mean SLR can change lens but doesnt mean must change.

it all depends on the user and the usage.

since hirochan mentioned that still life (desk top, i assume) is his/her interest, then one lens should suffice.

thanks for everyone's information. =)

I was thinking of either getting nikon D40 or canon eos 400D.
Anyone has any comments about this 2 cameras? ^^
Is there any much difference between nikon D40 and D40x? As I check the specs at nikon website that difference seems to at the megapixel.

I take still life pictures pictures currently trying to learn how to capture well first.
Is there any specific lens that is needed?
This are some photos I took and roughly the distance I take my photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lovelessger/1777174258/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lovelessger/1776324815/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lovelessger/1776318665/

Is dry cabinet a must buy? or will a dry box be suffice?

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.