hi new guy here intending to go for k10d, a few queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equatorer

Aug 25, 2007
nus
hi everyone, considered n,c,p for a few wks, finally decided on k10d, quite value for money, and not so many options for lenses(a gd point cos i'm still a student and not that rich).
im not clear of the local market, did a few investigations in simlim funan and peninsular, but seems that got really few pentax lenses, and normally much more expensive than prices online.

well, totally abandoned kit-lens, my planned first lens is either sigma17-70 or tamron sp 24-135, and sigma 10-20 is also quite attractive cos i love shooting landscape.
the following would be quite troublesome, so far i havent discovered any shops here selling the limited lenses, 31 43 77 etc, where can i find them locally? :)

btw, fengwei dx from xitek oso? saw u name on there

oso flipped thru first few pages of trading forum n cannot see even one pentax.. sad

oops, read thru the top threads juz now, seems cathay photo is a gd shop, didnt ask them about le lenses last time.
but the pk mount tamron and sigma are too few.

Most prices online would be cheaper what, I thought, depending on where you're looking.

Why don't you want kit lens? Kit lens is very value for money.

Yes lenses are hard to find, but that doesn't mean that they're expensive. I am a budget boy and I have managed to actually get more than my kit lens, somehow, on peanuts from my temp job.

Are you for real, though, or are you trying to start a flame war? Advise to be more diplomatic and perhaps more careful with words, the way you put things is offensive to me as a Pentax user, frankly; since you seem to have summarised Pentax up in about 9 minutes based on what you see on CS only. If you are serious though, have my apologies in advance.

don't misunderstand me dude, i'm serious in joining the p family.
just worrying about whether it is easy to find nice 2nd hand lenses here, not that rich to afford new ones, especially for limited and the upcoming star lenses

and seriously i consider the comparative lack of options an advantage;) especially when the already-existing lenses are all quite high quality and value for money.
objectives are clear, and we can save much energies to improve our skills instead of quarreling about equipments all the time like c n ppl.
oops, seems this time really a bit offensive:cool:

believe me ,i really like pentax

don't misunderstand me dude, i'm serious in joining the p family.
just worrying about whether it is easy to find nice 2nd hand lenses here, not that rich to afford new ones, especially for limited and the upcoming star lenses

Ah, depends on what you mean by "nice 2nd hand lenses"

Definitely one of the disadvantages of using Pentax right now is that the Buy&Sell market in Singapore itself is rather limited - possibly due to the lack of availability of new lenses in the first place, and add that on the fact that sadly not as many people use Pentax as should be the case

So if you're talking about finding that nice lower-priced 50mm f/1.4 FA for example, it's not impossible.. You just have to wait

But good things come to those who wait, don't they?

hi everyone, considered n,c,p for a few wks, finally decided on k10d, quite value for money, and not so many options for lenses(a gd point cos i'm still a student and not that rich).
im not clear of the local market, did a few investigations in simlim funan and peninsular, but seems that got really few pentax lenses, and normally much more expensive than prices online.

well, totally abandoned kit-lens, my planned first lens is either sigma17-70 or tamron sp 24-135, and sigma 10-20 is also quite attractive cos i love shooting landscape.
the following would be quite troublesome, so far i havent discovered any shops here selling the limited lenses, 31 43 77 etc, where can i find them locally? :)

Depends on what lenses you are looking for. I do agreed the limited choices of pentax lenses available here but some other parts of the world also facing the same thing. For people on a budget, the lenses available here are quite sufficient already.

I think should still be able to find the FA43 mm, FA77 mm in shops here once a while. The FA31mm probably not so easy to get but still can try your luck to order.

You can find fengwei bro in other pentax forums also, he is quite "well-known" with pentaxians in other parts also.;)

oso flipped thru first few pages of trading forum n cannot see even one pentax.. sad

Are you serious?:bigeyes: Did you look carefully or not. I can say all pentaxians here will not agree with your remarks;).

Are you serious?:bigeyes: Did you look carefully or not. I can say all pentaxians here will not agree with your remarks;).

He need a little more patience to flip thru pagessss of the trading forum to find Pentax stuff on trading. And of course when compared to C n N, there are just 'tonnes' of them on trading. Can still find pentax stuff, but certainly shouldnt be the primary source to look for it in singapore.

Equatorer, there shouldn't be a need to worry about getting pentax lenses and stuff. These days, we have internet and many of us here are ordering from the web. ;)

cheersss..

Actually CS has lots of posts daily so anything you post can get shifted down very fast. I always use the "search" function, select "search entire post" and key in "Pentax" , then do a search for the "marketplace" sub-forum. This way, all the pentax related sale items will appear. You can try it too.
cheers

Hi Equatorer (nice nick btw ;)), a nice choice you made for the K10D. It's a great camera with lots of features, and it swept all the major awards this year :D

As to lenses, I'm sure you'd be able to find Sigma 1770 and 1020 locally, like Orient Photo at SLS. And I saw the FA43 LE at Cathay Photo just last week. Some got the 77 here locally as well, so I'm guessing this one should able available in some shops too. As to the 31, 'cause it has a quite high price tag, not many shops have it instock, but I'm sure you can order it from shops like Cathay Photo.

The DA* zoom lenses are scheduled to arrive before the coming COMEX show (next week), but still no news from the agent yet.

And yes, fengwei is from xitek too, but not a dx lah, just a new newbie compare with those 资深 :bsmilie:

Good luck.

thx brothers.
think i'll be getting my k10d early next month,
really not interested in kit lens, quality is only mediocre,the zoom range is quite short for travel also. although very cheap, i still don;t think it will serve me for long even if i buy it.

anyone have information about tamron sp24-135 for pentax here? based on my research it is a very sharp and well-built lens, although heavy and slow in focusing...
if cannot find tamron, think i rather go for FA50 1.4, better still, if i got source of income by then, may try to get a 43le

thx brothers.
really not interested in kit lens, quality is only mediocre,the zoom range is quite short for travel also. although very cheap, i still don;t think it will serve me for long even if i buy it.

anyone have information about tamron sp24-135 for pentax here? based on my research it is a very sharp and well-built lens, although heavy and slow in focusing...
if cannot find tamron, think i rather go for FA50 1.4, better still, if i got source of income by then, may try to get a 43le

Don't belittle the kit lens. Its surprisingly very good and light too.
If you check the posts on the internet, the general consensus is Pentax's kit lens is amongst the best for DSLR. Better than the kits lens for , say, C cameras.
But if you really want something better, the Sigma 17-70 has a good reputation too.
And the 18-200 is a very versatile lens although image quality is only consistent with super zooms. The 50 f/1.4 is a good lens..! :thumbsup:

yes, i agree with airconvent. don't 'be little' the kit lens. :nono: There is nothing wrong with the kit lens and its light weight is a good plus. So what if it is the kit lens? its truely how the photographer behind the viewfinder make the shot. Not about what expensive or limited lens he/she choose to use.

the kit lens serve as a good lens for SLR beginner to understand photography. it is with the kit lens, then only the beginner learn and later develope their own style of photography needs. The kit allows a good range of focal length from wide to mid telephoto to work with.

Equatorer you mentioned 24-135 zoom, then tamron, then FA50/1.4, then may try 43limited. It seems to me you are unsure and don't understand what does each of them does.

First, you need to know and clearly understand what is your needs? do u actually need zoom lens or prime lens? if you need zoom, then don't ever compare it with primes!! if you need travel light lens, then big heavy zoom is not any lighter than the pentax kit lens. The 24-135 is not any wider than the kit at 18.

Pardon me, if you are new to SLR. Then it will be better sticking with either the kit or Sigma 17-70 to start with. And of cause, Pentax kit is the cheap and reasonable to start with. It is from there, then you learn and understand more out of it. No point doing lot of internet 'theory' research. Go get it and start shooting... :)

cheersss..

thx brothers.

As some said above, the kit lens is a good one, not a great one, but still good enough for some use like scenery and landscapes. It has it pros and cons, but all lenses have their pros and cons. You'll just think hard what you are gonna use your camera and lens to do.

The Tamron 24135 is a good lens, abit slow AF, and too bulky for its specs, but optically outstanding, and very well built. Last time I saw Alan Photo had one in PK mount, asking for over $500SGD. Used one can be had for around $350 to 400, but you'll have to wait for your luck, or try eBay.

Another cheap but good alternative is Sigma DC 18-125 (CS Lee is selling one at the B&S forum right now ;)). It's a very decent lens, has been praised alot when it came out to the market several years back. I still consider it as a better lens than the Sigma 18-200. Of course the Sigma DC 17-70 (which I have right now) is a very good lens too, especially from 35mm to 70mm. But to some people 70mm might still be too short.

As to prime lenses, Pentax have go so many good to great ones. There is no end when you are buying into prime lenses. So my suggestion is to get a cheap FA50/1.4 (Nicolas is selling one right now), optically it's as good as any other prime lens you can get, and better than the FA43/1.9 in some way. Yes, I do have the three FA LE lenses, but I'm not saying the FA50 is an inferior one. I got the FA LE ones mostly for collection purpose.

Or btw, if you really want the FA43/1.9 LE, I'm sure Cathay Photo has one in stock ;)

Good luck.

thx for ur suggestion
i am totally aware that im quite 眼高手低 currently. well, certainly i cannot maximize the kit-lens in the beginning since i only tried others' dslrs before.

but i did read a lot on many forums and website reviews etc, and quite sure of the lenses different capabilities.
and i am quite enthu in photog as a form of artistic expression, think i will surely go for the primes anyway, just sooner or later, so why not just start with a prime and improve myself slowly...

and also im addicted to travelling as well, so wideangle for landscape and tele&macro for flora fauna are also quite important, that is my main dilemma now....

what do u think?

thx to all the informations.
thought over.. don't want myself to be bankrupt so early..
think i better start with zoom lens
so tamron 24-135, will go for it early next month maybe.
get a 50 1.4 once i have some extra spare money, no hurry for the limited..

thx for ur suggestion
i am totally aware that im quite 眼高手低 currently. well, certainly i cannot maximize the kit-lens in the beginning since i only tried others' dslrs before.

but i did read a lot on many forums and website reviews etc, and quite sure of the lenses different capabilities.
and i am quite enthu in photog as a form of artistic expression, think i will surely go for the primes anyway, just sooner or later, so why not just start with a prime and improve myself slowly...

and also im addicted to travelling as well, so wideangle for landscape and tele&macro for flora fauna are also quite important, that is my main dilemma now....

what do u think?

Care to tell us, why certainly you cannot maximize the kit lens?? The kit lens at 18mm is the cheapest 18mm focal you can get out there. 18mm is a good angle for landscape shoot, and when we do landscape, we don't open it wide-open. 18mm kit stop down to f/11 ~ f/16 is bad? With only a slight corner distortion, it is still an acceptable piece of art! I don't believe you are able to tell the significant different between a 'L' lens and kit lens when they are stopped down at f/16. Then the kit at 50mm allows you to do some portrait for a start. So there is nothing wrong with using it to shoot in outdoor light. And you are still able to maximize it.

"form of artistic expression" refers to composition and control of light. If you want to go all out for primes, you probably have to dig deeper into your pocket to stock up your lens to cover your range from wide to telephoto. (at least 3 primes to play and work around with). The cost of that is many times more what you pay for pentax kit depending on what kind of primes.

I think there is no dilemma. Just like many beginner, they are just unsure of what they want because they have not own one to play with. And when they are unsure, the best solution is just to get the kit or something like that 17-70mm to start with. By the time, you shoot passed shutter count of 10k to 20k, you would have already max out your kit lens capablity. That is when you already develop your photography style and know what kind of light, picture and lens you need.

There is just no such thing as cannot maximize it in the beginning lah!

cheerss..

thx for ur suggestion

what do u think?

If at all possible, look for a two-zoom lens solution. An all-in-one 10x zoom lens comes with a lot of compromises - it all boils down to how much you are willing to sacrifice image quality for convenience.

Basing on your interests it seems a two-zooms and one prime/macro is what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.