Hi may i know how to take this kind of images?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A wide angel lens (e.g. 17mm), small aperture (e.g. f8, f11), a good tripod and a lot of experimenting...

I only got N D90 with the kit len, is it possible to get the result of strings of light?

So it just need a long exposure time on a tripod?

Wait till it's about dusk, just before it gets dark. Then set a long exposure (a few minutes) on a tripod with a small aperture for depth of field (f11, f16). This is for enough light on the buildings in the background and the long exposure will pick up the lights of vehicles on the road as they move, creating the long streaks of light. Experiment several times and see what works best.

for #5, use shutter priority.. and of course, it is better to use a higher F number... u can read reviews of your lens to check the best aperture to use for the best image quality.

but i read in a magazine that for most lens f8 - f 13 is best.

you need a small aperture for photo like #5... well of course it is up to u.. i would use a small aperture because i want to have a wide depth of field .

as for the shutter speed to use, u need to experiment... it depends on how long do u want those trailing cars light to be? haha... The speed of the cars will also affect...

but it is easy lah... just try try try...

u need tripod when u use slow shutter speeds...

for me, a user with kit lens, a tripod is almost a must for night shots...

Also, find a good spot that's not too windy.

Dusk is a good time to take beautiful landscape pictures but I would suggest TS to start off when the sky is totally dark. This way, there are less variables in trying to control the aperture and speed as the changing light from the sky can get quite challenging for beginners.

like the rest have stated...long exposure on a tripod...and don't forget the camera....;)

Wait till it's about dusk, just before it gets dark. Then set a long exposure (a few minutes) on a tripod with a small aperture for depth of field (f11, f16). This is for enough light on the buildings in the background and the long exposure will pick up the lights of vehicles on the road as they move, creating the long streaks of light. Experiment several times and see what works best.

like what he said, i set all the things already, it will take the image itself on the camera? or i must press something?

Also, find a good spot that's not too windy.
some misconceptions here.

you dont need a few minutes exposure. that shot is probably 6-7sec exposure judging by the lengths of the lights.
you dont need a small aperture for the depth of field. by focusing to infinite, anything between 4meters to infinity (specific to your lens) will be in focus.
you need small aperture to get the "star burst/flare" effect on the street lamps. you also need small apertures so you can increase shutter time.

However, aperture cannot be too small, otherwise the car headlamps will be too thin or light or underexposed.

usually for this kind of shots i think in this way:
1) decide how long of a shutter speed to use depending on the length (or amount) of streaks i want
2) set the aperture and ISO to give a good exposure using the shutterspeed as a constraint
3) tweak aperture and ISO to give the brightness of the streaks that i want.
4) go back to adjusting my shutterspeed if aperture and Iso cannot get me what i want

there are very long explanations behind this being, the headlamps are not considered ambient light. they are likened to be "flash" like our camera flash.

Last edited:
d90 can go to iso 100, it should read Lo1 on the iso display...

there, so go out there n get a good tripod.
boost the economy...hehehee

i saw a manfrotto 190cxpro3 with 488rc2 head on the BnS, a nice start

some misconceptions here.

you dont need a few minutes exposure. that shot is probably 6-7sec exposure judging by the lengths of the lights.
you dont need a small aperture for the depth of field. by focusing to infinite, anything between 4meters to infinity (specific to your lens) will be in focus.
you need small aperture to get the "star burst/flare" effect on the street lamps. you also need small apertures so you can increase shutter time.

However, aperture cannot be too small, otherwise the car headlamps will be too thin or light or underexposed.

usually for this kind of shots i think in this way:
1) decide how long of a shutter speed to use depending on the length (or amount) of streaks i want
2) set the aperture and ISO to give a good exposure using the shutterspeed as a constraint
3) tweak aperture and ISO to give the brightness of the streaks that i want.
4) go back to adjusting my shutterspeed if aperture and Iso cannot get me what i want

there are very long explanations behind this being, the headlamps are not considered ambient light. they are likened to be "flash" like our camera flash.

I learn something new here. tks :)

i can't find the infinity mark on my kits lens, does that meani can't focus at infinity?

i will try the effect of aperture on the headlamps next time.. tks alot... as a side note, we can use a ND filter if we want a larger aperture...

:)

regarding on how to take the above photos, i have a question.

if i have a 18-55mm IS and 50mm F1.8 lens, which will produce better night photos like the one shown above.

Can someone give me a step by step?
Sorry I'm a noob here.

Status
Not open for further replies.