Hi.looking for a DSLR to start with. New in photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
be more specific... you want to buy a 2nd hand DSLR or you want help in deciding which DSLR?

if buying a used camera, post a WTB at the consumer buy sell section...
if need help in deciding, tell us your budget and what brand you are learning towards...

anyway, welcome to the world of photography :)

Please email me artchap@live.com or reply here.

Have you done your research?
Have you set a budget?
Have you gone to the shops and tried the DSLRs, then made a shortlist for comparison?

Please make your own decision; listening to other people telling you what to get is not the way to go.

Hello.

As I have mentioned many times that given today's advanced technology, ALL entry level DSLRs will be able to give you decent pictures if you use them within their limits. Yes, all cameras have their limits and it's the photographer's ability to bring out the best of the cam and work against the weaker points that's more important. Maybe you can tell us your budget and if you're looking for a brand new or 2nd hand cam first.

Should start with:

Nikon D300 or Nikon D700.

If really really really really got very severe budget constrains, then consider Nikon D90.

Dunno what's the equivalent in Canon. Maybe friends here can advise.

Get the cheapest entry level 2nd dslr camera body of any brand and spend the rest of the money to get good lenses.
My friend just started with 2nd hand canon 350D & tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (that I recommended with hidden motive to borrow the lens to try out myself)
You can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. Other brands you need to do more research, but they can reward you with even more enjoyment to photography.

Have you done your research?
Have you set a budget?
Have you gone to the shops and tried the DSLRs, then made a shortlist for comparison?

Please make your own decision; listening to other people telling you what to get is not the way to go.

Don't need so complicated. :nono:
Just get Nikon 700D or 300D like I mentioned. Why - Because good functions, and got scope to upgrade.

Should start with:

Nikon D300 or Nikon D700.

If really really really really got very severe budget constrains, then consider Nikon D90.

Dunno what's the equivalent in Canon. Maybe friends here can advise.

You serious?
I don't recommend either of those for beginners who may change their minds on photography after awhile.

As the rest have recommended, any entry dSLR will do as a starting point.
Be sure to do your homework and find out which brand/camera/system has the features that you want.

If your interest still remains (or hopefully deepens) after your foray into photography, then you can consider getting something better (not the other way around).

PS: But I have to agree, the D90 is a good camera if budget is not an issue for you.

Last edited:
dun start too big... get a basic model first and play with it....
preferably one that has the different mode dials....

the D300 and D700 does not have those mode dials like night shots and sports etc...
NOT a way for someone to start photography...

I think even for a starter, those scene modes should not be used anyway. Should learn properly on Apperture, Shutter speed, etc.
Start with P mode, then learn A mode, then try M mode, realize M mode is to godly, and then go back to A mode :)

Don't need so complicated. :nono:
Just get Nikon 700D or 300D like I mentioned. Why - Because good functions, and got scope to upgrade.

Of course he needs to make his own choices, and not be swayed to the expensive range of only one brand, as you are trying to push him.

And it's "D700" and "D300". You're recommending high-end nikon cameras which will overwhelm a newbie (and a newbie's budget) and yet using Canon numbering.

Hi James,

Beautiful your blog is very informative.

Please email me artchap@live.com or reply here.

Don't use any DSLR. Use a Point and Shot and start walking in that field. No point spending a lot of money without knowing at least some basics about what you are doing.

I think the responses in this thread clearly shows that there can be no single (or close to single) answer to the query, especially if no budget is stated.

then how much can i get for D90??? my budget is around 500++

then how much can i get for D90??? my budget is around 500++

500+++ can get a D90 which someone dropped into a pond accidently. :devil:
Heee...sorry. Just being a devil...devilishly honest.

Must it be a D90? With your budget maybe you want to start off with a 2nd hand 6MP DSLR or a bridge cam first.

Status
Not open for further replies.