Hi lads, I need some advise on lens


Status
Not open for further replies.

nikor_d

New Member
Jun 17, 2004
66
0
0
Currently I 'm using Nikon D70 Kit lens which is 18-70mm.I intend to buy 1 more lens to use during on holiday ( eg.Genting).So what lens should I get.Sigma or Nikon G lens 28-300mm or 70- 300mm, :) or some other lens.Looking forward for your advise.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
Frankly, when I go holidays I go for landscape scenary, a zoom like 70-200 is literally useless to me. At most if I do street/life shoots, a 28-70 would suffice very well, otherwise go borrow a 17-35 like me... heehee.

If you ask me for addition to your len for holiday, go for a 12-24DX or 17-55DX instead.
 

finkster

Senior Member
Feb 12, 2003
692
1
18
SG
Visit site
Your 18-70 would do for most situations there.

Since u seem inclined towards long zooms in your post, a light and affordable Nikon/Sigma 70-300 is good to round off the upper end of your range, but I can't picture myself using those lenses much on Genting. No harm getting one though.

Quite a few people recommend the Sigma macro 70-300, the newer version. I don't use it, so can't comment on it. The Nikon 70-300G or ED versions are pretty good when stopped down.

Wide angle lenses would be a better choice, but they are rather pricey.

How did your previous wedding shoot turn out?
 

fattybombombom

New Member
Jun 29, 2004
406
0
0
98
singapore
in case you are interested... sykestang still got 2 more 17-35m f2.8 to sell...
 

mikeng

New Member
Jul 21, 2004
72
0
0
I would recommend a Nikon 12-24 DX since you have a D70 and the kit lens. If you want a good travel zoom lens, the Sigma Macro 70-300 should be good enough. Otherwise, go ahead and splurge on the Nikon 70-200 VR (but it cost and weight alot). my two cents.....
 

solomon76

Senior Member
Aug 28, 2003
671
0
16
Hi just got this lens :) ,
The optics are not too bad , and its quite affordable for this range
but of course you lose the wide (17mm on the lens kit)
what about the sigma 17-124mm dc ?
I heard that lens is not bad for its range
 

glennyong

Senior Member
May 2, 2004
5,588
0
36
Singapore
mikeng said:
I would recommend a Nikon 12-24 DX since you have a D70 and the kit lens. If you want a good travel zoom lens, the Sigma Macro 70-300 should be good enough. Otherwise, go ahead and splurge on the Nikon 70-200 VR (but it cost and weight alot). my two cents.....
erm... i think the 70-200mm VR u mentioned cost 3k plus ? haha.. i think travelling wun need such a expensive lens la... abit too heavy too leh... and erm.. since its a IF lens... it wud be obvious that the lens will be LONG and BULKY... and he will haf lots of prob carrying it around... what if it gets bumper unto something ?? he will heartbroken one... but maybe a Sigma 70-300 MAcro will get the job done la... later he pok ah....

erm.. maybe u wan to get a 600mm ?? hehehe.. kidding la... *heex* i am kidding alrite ?? :bsmilie:

i wuld recommend a Sigma 70-300 for telezoom,
Nikon 12-24 DX for wides...

and if u realli need some realli tankers...

den get the Nikon AF 80-200mm F2.8 two touch.. will serve u well too !!
although very bulky... u will get a decent zoom and a F2.8 lens without "pooking" VR can come later in the later part of ur DSLR investments... :eek:

Tokina / Sigma have some realli good lens.. maybe u might want to check them out... ask the seniors and experts on Tokina and Sigma users bah~ hehe... :bsmilie:
 

nikor_d

New Member
Jun 17, 2004
66
0
0
Thanks for the advise.About the wedding,my friend get someone else to shoot.To be frank I was quite worried.hahhahha :)
finkster said:
Your 18-70 would do for most situations there.

Since u seem inclined towards long zooms in your post, a light and affordable Nikon/Sigma 70-300 is good to round off the upper end of your range, but I can't picture myself using those lenses much on Genting. No harm getting one though.

Quite a few people recommend the Sigma macro 70-300, the newer version. I don't use it, so can't comment on it. The Nikon 70-300G or ED versions are pretty good when stopped down.

Wide angle lenses would be a better choice, but they are rather pricey.

How did your previous wedding shoot turn out?
 

nikor_d

New Member
Jun 17, 2004
66
0
0
So should I get sigma 70-300mm, lads? :)
 

obviousdude

Senior Member
Oct 14, 2003
1,439
0
0
West Coast of sunny Singapore
frankly, espn makes a good point, when travelling, scenic/landscape shots are what you'll do most.

your kit 18-70 is also very versatile. the 18 is alittle better than most P&Ss, for most situations and the 70mm end can cater to portraits if you choose to shoot candids of people.

or consider the sigma 18-125mm if you want a longer reach
 

ryen123

New Member
Mar 28, 2004
33
0
0
Singapore
nikor_d said:
Currently I 'm using Nikon D70 Kit lens which is 18-70mm.I intend to buy 1 more lens to use during on holiday ( eg.Genting).So what lens should I get.Sigma or Nikon G lens 28-300mm or 70- 300mm, :) or some other lens.Looking forward for your advise.
i've used before the nikon 70-300ED version. quite a remarkable lense to me althought i found the AF a tad slow. quite complements ur 18-70mm
 

Status
Not open for further replies.