hi im quite new in photography world, plz comment.thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyASh

Sep 3, 2008
www.flickr.com
hi im quite new to the photography world.. Started last few mths.... Do comment, so i able to do better in the future..Appreciate it...Thanks...

this pic that i shoot at padang was bout last few mths.. while im chilling with my cousin..ask him to rest... then i jus shoot randomly but i did focus on wat i wanna shoot.. this piece i thought was a gd composition and outcome was great. Any comments so i can improve in any areas, like exposure.... thanks
1/60s at f5.8.. ISO 200 and focal length 55mm.. D100

2887684162_b088372123_o.png

Title- layers

Last edited:
There are rules and regulations.
Please help us to help you by helping yourself to the guidelines.

hi TS...i suggest you read the guidelines first.... its supposed to be only a photo per week for critiques... do post a short write up at the same time so it will be easier for fellow CSer to comment... thanks... ;)

...and the short write up is about...?

this pic that i shoot at padang was bout last few mths.. while im chilling with my cousin..ask him to rest... then i jus shoot randomly but i did focus on wat i wanna shoot.. this piece i thought was a gd composition and outcome was great. Any comments so i can improve in any areas, like exposure.... thanks
1/60s at f5.8.. ISO 200 and focal length 55mm.. D100

the first step to improvement is being extremely self-critical, but not to the point where you start putting yourself down in the hopes of people pumping you up.

first of all, i see a try in the use of thirds. that is fine, but blindly applying a rule is as bad as not knowing it. composition is the fine arrangement of elements in the picture, so that it turns out either aesthetically pleasing, or to direct attention to a clear message that the photographer intends to stand out. there are rules (or rather, guides) but they can be broken.. gaining the sense of how a pleasant arrangement feels like is important.

what is the problem with the composition here? first off, much too top heavy. i see the guy, i see the guitar, then i see a lot of empty grass. does the empty grass do anything for me in terms of the picture? does it strengthen any message (what is the message, anyways?!)? does it add? does the picture do better without it?

secondly - do you think this is the best angle of your cousin? this angle emphasises a few things - the undersides of his nostrils immediately jump into sight. to be honest, for 90% of people this is one of the worst angles to take, because they will end up looking like they have potential to costar in planet of the apes.

what do you intend to convey? i see a guy frolicking weirdly in the grass, i see his guitar, i see his guitar case (distracting, another point to note) behind him. is this meant to be a story?

lastly - the grass is much too saturated, the greens are popping out of the screen for me. that can work, if you understand it, but i don't think that was exactly your intention here.. :think:

i hope you take this the right way, because i have zero intentions of putting you down (though it may seem so, and i suspect the usual troublemakers will paint it as such).

Hi.. thanks for the critics... appreciate your point of view.. but.. i felt that i came from a design background and i applied wat i felt its gd for my composition... basically i played wit Space.. most of my design fundamental is more to Space. Playing with space is like identity to the person/artist... anyone can place a small apple on a huge field and snap it to make his or her art.
and i felt that its over saturated too..

Night86mare - "to be honest, for 90% of people this is one of the worst angles to take, because they will end up looking like they have potential to costar in planet of the apes. "

i respect your point of view... but for different artists to portray diff compositions in their artwork... doesnt mean tat it needs to tell a story.. it can be installation too... we can break some rules in order to create new piece.

thanks for the comments btw...

Last edited:
if you do not want anything except positive comments which prop your own (decidedly) unique point of view

then it is best not to post this up at all. cheers.

like i said... its my personal experimentation and point of view... i welcome all constructive critics... its part and parcel of learning and by then it help me to improve my photography.... thats y i post it on critics... im cool... peace

Last edited:
Mostly I agree with night86mare's comments, except he said it much better than I could have. Good thing I continued to read the posts before posting my comments. Specifically, top heavy (I was going to say too much empty space at bottom) and distracting guitar case.

The nostrils are not the first thing that struck me, though. It is the uncomfortable looking pose of the person.

I'm not sure what you mean by playing with Space. And I don't quite get the part about "installation". But I freely admit I'm no expert when it comes to such things. I feel that an image should not evoke "huh? what?" - unless that is your intention. And you cannot get away with anything you like just by declaring it is art - the whole misunderstood artist thing, that's a copout.

Hi.. thanks for the critics... appreciate your point of view.. but.. i felt that i came from a design background and i applied wat i felt its gd for my composition... basically i played wit Space.. most of my design fundamental is more to Space. Playing with space is like identity to the person/artist... anyone can place a small apple on a huge field and snap it to make his or her art.
and i felt that its over saturated too..

Night86mare - "to be honest, for 90% of people this is one of the worst angles to take, because they will end up looking like they have potential to costar in planet of the apes. "

i respect your point of view... but for different artists to portray diff compositions in their artwork... doesnt mean tat it needs to tell a story.. it can be installation too... we can break some rules in order to create new piece.

thanks for the comments btw...

in my opinion, if u wanna play with 'space', maybe you could try putting the subject below the frame, instead of on top?

like some had said, its top heavy, disturbingly unbalanced..

or, make it wide where the subject is on the right of the frame with space on the left..

well.. just my humble opinion.. although i dont have any design background.

if you do not want anything except positive comments which prop your own (decidedly) unique point of view

then it is best not to post this up at all. cheers.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
He said it best, I need not comment anything, as much as I had wanted to, cos eventually you have your arguements.

rule of thirds, bottom/top heavy etc ... are means to an ends, namely balance.

what you have done is just another example of exploiting what is called "negative space".

the question here is how can you make this composition work, ie render a aesthetically pleasing balance while yet being "top heavy"

i think it can be done: focus more to the depth, namely your cousin face, maybe make him face the camera. then remove the meaningless black thingy behind him.

try it, and i think the result can be more pleasing.

and also see before you click, or with digital at least preview immediately after and recompose if the opportunity is still there.

Hi guys.. thanks for the constructive comments... it does help me open up to both world.. Actually i doing a survey for this kind of photography, because im a artist itself.

1st is a non artists interpretation of a picture

and the other is an artists interpretation of contemporary art towards the picture

Individual world reflects differently in this particular picture that i post.. . No offence to the one who critics on that picture. Its good. I really like your comment. And further i gain lots of feedback to improve on my photography.thanks guys..:)

For instance, lets put this in a contemporary art gallery with a well taken picture opposite of the one that i post.. An artist will look to the particular picture for quite sometimes with a thinking of what is the artist had to share while an non artist will glance and said "that is a poor photograph"..No offence again. After all its individual preferences.

Last edited:
Hi guys.. thanks for the constructive comments... it does help me open up to both world.. Actually i doing a survey for this kind of photography, because im a artist itself.

1st is a non artists interpretation of a picture

and the other is an artists interpretation of contemporary art towards the picture

Individual world reflects differently in this particular picture that i post.. . No offence to the one who critics on that picture. Its good. I really like your comment. And further i gain lots of feedback to improve on my photography.thanks guys..:)

For instance, lets put this in a contemporary art gallery with a well taken picture opposite of the one that i post.. An artist will look to the particular picture for quite sometimes with a thinking of what is the artist had to share while an non artist will glance and said "that is a poor photograph"..No offence again. After all its individual preferences.

I have just one question for you:

who are you to judge who is an artist and who is not?

I am sure that as an artist, you once went thru the disciplines of learning the rules, before being able to break them. Sorry to have to break it to you but photography is a little different from design. Sure, some elements are repeated, but there is a whole new world of rules to learn before you break.

It's one thing saying you are thankful for all the comments, and quite another when you become so defensive. I've been watching the thread since night86mare posted his comments and you seem quite defensive over your work.

well man... like i said its a survey...Im cool man... chill... defensive its part of the survey... I respect your constructive comment. it depends on individual preference.. let say, this picture was taken by a professional photographer and he/she jus wanna look at the response that a newbie posted in this forum...and he might said... i like this kinda of photograph. its something new... wat will you response.?

well man... like i said its a survey...Im cool man... chill... defensive its part of the survey... I respect your constructive comment. it depends on individual preference.. let say, this picture was taken by a professional photographer and he/she jus wanna look at the response that a newbie posted in this forum...and he might said... i like this kinda of photograph. its something new... wat will you response.?

Good one. Well said. :cool:

To put a picture in here, u must prepared to get serious and honest feedback from fellow photographers. To learn from others opinions is the main objective here. I feel that it defeats the purpose if ones so strongly defence against others inputs.

cheguthamrin, night86mare, calebk, espion have been very active in the critique corner providing a lots of constructive advices to help newbies in their technique and skill. I learned a lots through the inputs they shared with me.

Even from a newbie point of view, I am not able to sense any "artist" taste from the picture u posted. The picture seems very unbalance to me, a big portion of the picture was occupied by the grass that didn't contribute much to the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.