hi...i m very new...need guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubertj

Aug 4, 2007
hmm...i m so new tt i have just become interetsed in photography...and i do not have a camera...can anyone guide me on what should i do?? and how should i start off??...thanks...how do u choose a camera??

Regards

it's a big topic.

you can read this first.

set a budget first. if it is anything less than $800, consider a compact (non-SLR camera that is small size) or a prosumer (non-SLR camera with more manual control, variable size). prosumer read nightmare's thread.

if budget is not a problem, with a budget between $1000-1500, get a 2nd hand DSLR mid-entry level or 1st hand DSLR basic-entry level. then start from there.

photography techniques encompass a few big topics with understanding of
1. metering and exposure settings
2. focusing and handling techniques
3. composition
4. adaption to and external control of light
5. selection of subject and interaction with it

issuesofphotography.jpg

you need to read up on pt 1. maybe via bryan peterson's "Understanding exposure" and more.

pt 2 and pt 3 is part of practice.

pt 4 and pt 5 comes with time and further reading.

is there an affordable course for newbie?

i have bought a cheap camera fujifilm S5700 at $300+ only.
Will it hinder my learning?
But it can attach filters, has 10x zoom and support fully manual mode.

....Will it hinder my learning?
But it can attach filters, has 10x zoom and support fully manual mode....

No reason why it should.

Go out and explore.

Or join good outings. There are other newbies and lots of outings over in http://forums.clubsnap.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49. Go join them.

Hi hubertj and sin77,

There's a up coming Newbies Get - Together here. It's a casual chit chat session on photography between newbies. Maybe you all might be interested to join us.

Regards,
Clement

Yes, just join the outing and meet fellow photogs. Can learn a thing or two. :D

hmm...i m so new tt i have just become interetsed in photography...and i do not have a camera...can anyone guide me on what should i do?? and how should i start off??...thanks...how do u choose a camera??

Regards

Welcome to ClubSnap Hubert. You may want to check out some of the items in the B & S. Some of them are a pretty good buy. Hope you can get a camera soon & enjoy taking photos. :)

ok i think u shoot first start off with a camera and if u may want to borrow one i can lend it to u but got to place deposit lar

actually what is your expectation of photography?

To shoot good photos for overseas vacations?
To shoot nightscenes?
To shoot portraits?
To shoot macro/closeup?
To shoot indoor events?
OR you want all of the above?

What is your expectation of a good photograph?
Would you compromise a bit of quality over pricing?
Do you need to have beautiful effects or special effects on your photo?
How often would you use the camera?
How willing are you to commit into photography?
Are you willing to fork out a huge budget?

actually what is your expectation of photography?

To shoot good photos for overseas vacations?
To shoot nightscenes?
To shoot portraits?
To shoot macro/closeup?
To shoot indoor events?
OR you want all of the above?

What is your expectation of a good photograph?
Would you compromise a bit of quality over pricing?
Do you need to have beautiful effects or special effects on your photo?
How often would you use the camera?
How willing are you to commit into photography?
Are you willing to fork out a huge budget?

Why do you perceive it in this manner? Does is mean the the equipment limit the photographer? Does it means huge budget to buy high end equipments will produce good shots? Cameras / lens is just a tool for the photographer / person behind the camera, it's the skills and creativity that matters. :rolleyes::p

Why do you perceive it in this manner? Does is mean the the equipment limit the photographer? Does it means huge budget to buy high end equipments will produce good shots? Cameras / lens is just a tool for the photographer / person behind the camera, it's the skills and creativity that matters. :rolleyes::p

i believe otherwise.

skills and creativity cannot make a 50mm becomes a 500mm focal length, and will not turn an ugly women into an attractive women. we should understand when and how an equipment limits a photographer, although in real time situations, it is the user who can be more flexible. i therefore do not agree with the over-valuing of the photographer over the equipment and the subject.

i believe otherwise.

skills and creativity cannot make a 50mm becomes a 500mm focal length, and will not turn an ugly women into an attractive women. we should understand when and how an equipment limits a photographer, although in real time situations, it is the user who can be more flexible. i therefore do not agree with the over-valuing of the photographer over the equipment and the subject.

It's a combination of both definitely, though obviously a better photographer will always make more out of the same type of equipment than a not so good one.

Of course the type of equipment given limits the photographer, whether you like it or not. Even if you give the world's best photographer a Vistaquest to try to take action shots, I guarantee plus chop he will produce rubbish, teehee!

Btw, this is a Vistaquest, I have it and love it, I know zoossh has asked before what it is so he knows, but for the rest of you:

vistaquest_camera.jpg

yah, you told me it is a digital lomo camera. actually i just wonder if some could invent "lomo" lens that gives you bizarre effects. for one thing i think lens baby is already doing that, but no one else seems to follow.

i dont mean to insult anyone esp in terms of money or skills.
But just thought my questions would spur and help him/her analyse the situation and decision making.

:dunno:

yah, you told me it is a digital lomo camera. actually i just wonder if some could invent "lomo" lens that gives you bizarre effects. for one thing i think lens baby is already doing that, but no one else seems to follow.

If I had a lot of money, I would buy a lensbaby, looks very promising for emo-style landscapes.

i believe otherwise.

Although I agree that prime lense are very good but if the skills are not good enough even with a prime lense you won't be able to even produce a decent shot... I have seen some very nice photos shot using just hp camera... something which makes me think that not huge budget will be able to make that shot... but the skill does... :)

Although I agree that prime lense are very good but if the skills are not good enough even with a prime lense you won't be able to even produce a decent shot... I have seen some very nice photos shot using just hp camera... something which makes me think that not huge budget will be able to make that shot... but the skill does... :)

What do you think i can do with a Canon IXUS 30?

but do note that those "nice photos" are limited in a sense. people who can truely shoot good photos using basic equipments knows where the limitations lie and knows that they can live with this limitations.

user, equipment and subject are equally important like a tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.