Hi, i just brought a canon 550

StrikeZero

Sep 18, 2010
Hi, i just brought a canon 550, i don't know much about camera and lens as i'm new to this hobby.Anyway is EF50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro lens good for taking insect ???

Welcome to CS

A 50mm may be to wide for shooting.

Recommended and most popular Macro lens

- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM

- Tamron 90mm f/2.8

ok, thank you for the suggestion :)

Hello! Well, if you are interested in macro shots and happen to be on a budget can consider the many alternatives out there, such as extension tubes, close up filters, or reverse lens mount.

oh ok, i will go look up more information about that.

Welcome to cs!
Do spend some time reading thru the forum and shooting more before deciding on purchases :D
Enjoy ur stay!

Hi, i just brought a canon 550, i don't know much about camera and lens as i'm new to this hobby.Anyway is EF50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro lens good for taking insect ???

This lens is only a half macro. Can only reach 1:2 and not 1:1. To get 1:1 u will need an additional macro converter. So better to just skip this lens and get the Tamron.

Hi welcome :)

For macro, the length of the lens does not really affect the framing of the subject ie how wide the lens is. For 50mm vs 100mm vs 180mm, you will typically get the same framing if all of them are at 1:1. What will affect more is the minimum working distance, when your length gets longer your working distance also increase. Longer lens is especially useful for subject that is more jumpy and easily agitated hence harder to get close up to especially insect.

Is an external flash require for macro shots?

Definitely...one of the necessity in macro shooting is a flash + diffuser!

Hi StrikeZero and welcome to CS.

You can read up on the detailed guide on macro photography written by megaweb here.

Don't make hasty purchases if you are on a budget. :)

Daoyong sey! good luck on getting your 100mm lens. can sell u external flash if you want.

thx for the advice :)
@ryan waa how you know it me.....