Hi guys im new here =)

luckyorange

Jan 13, 2011
Ang Mo Kio
Thinking of buying a new lens for my d3000, but not sure what type of lens is good for me, im new in photo taking. hmm budget maybe below 200? thanks for ur suggestion =) btw im a beginner =(

Last edited:
Welcome luckyorange.
I am new too. It all depends on what you are
going to use it for. Give more detsils about your
objectives to get the lens. I am sure many veterans
will be glad to share their knowlegde with you.

_______
Abdullah | www.PictureU.biz | Instant Photography for Events |

Hello and welcome.

I suggest that you should resist the urge to buy something first. Shoot more. That way, you will know what are you restricted by and you will know what you need eventually.

Cheers

Hello and welcome.

I suggest that you should resist the urge to buy something first. Shoot more. That way, you will know what are you restricted by and you will know what you need eventually.

Cheers

yup.. agree with this! shoot more, learn more and eventually you will know yourself what lens you really NEED (not want..), unless you bought your camera without lens (body only).. :)

Welcome and have fun!
Perhaps you want to start with kit lens 18-55mm or 18-105mm. Along the way, once you know what you need then invest in other lens.

Welcome to CS:) If you don't know what to upgrade then its best that you don't do it first. Also, with a $200 budget, i'm afraid you don't have much choices.

Welcome to CS... you need to know what you shoot most of the time... then see if your current lens has a limitation for that type of shots... then get lens to support... :D

Thinking of buying a new lens for my d3000, but not sure what type of lens is good for me, im new in photo taking. hmm budget maybe below 200? thanks for ur suggestion =) btw im a beginner =(
I assume you have D3000 w kit lens (18-55VR) ?
For $200 you have limited choices.

I'm making a huge assumption that you take mostly lots of photos of your friends and family, and if a lot of those photos are taken indoor, an external flash might be quite handy.

For $200, you can consider the Nikon SB400, which is small and cute but a bit limited in terms of power and angle of deployment, or a 3rd party flash such as a Nissin or something similar...

welcome to CS . . . ;)

you may wish to consider the following :
1. 50mm 1.8 for portraiture etc
2. Tripod for landscape etc
3. Dry cabinet against fungus growing on your camera

Any of the above will be within your budget.

Cheers.

Thanks all for the precious reply =) will take more n learn thanks =)

erm is there any possible way to know if my camera are having fungus??

Hello and welcome.

Cheers

I agree with chiangkxv. Shooting more will allow you to explore
the various aspects of photography. When you have done enough
you will be able to accurately focus on your areas of interest.
This will direct you to the type of lens you will need.
Unless you have deep pockets then its a different story.

erm is there any possible way to know if my camera are having fungus??

You can visually inspect it. Remove the lens
from the camere and both the caps at its ends.
Look through it at a light source. If you can see spots
it could be just dust or fungus. You can see
cleary if the fungus is in an advance stage.
It looks similat to the fungus that grow
on bread.

thanks alot! for the information =) cheers

I assume u have the 18-55mm that comes with the d3000? with a budget of 200, I guess the logical choice would be the 55-200mm or 50mm f1.8. 55-200 gives u more zoom capability which continues quite nicely with your 18-55mm. 50mm f1.8 is a much faster lens which will allow u to take pretty clear pics under lower light conditions. But cant auto-focus in your d3000.