Hi guys/gals of CS.. i'm new here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drechohead

Jul 10, 2009
Hi guys and gals of CS!! :D

I'm a newbie and very, very new to DSLR. Have been snapping on a 5 years old Sony DSC-T7 all this while. I have been wanting to buy a DSLR for ages, but been holding-off until a long trip and lots of blurry concerts snaps (from motion blur) made me buy a 2nd hand D80. I'm sticking with the kit lens (18-135mm) and will try to exhaust its capabilities until there is a need to upgrade. Currently checking-out the "Guide to DLSR photography for Newbies+Product/Price/Outlet List" for info, and even resort to printing the 12 pages of "Photography Notes For Newbies" as guide and learning material.. Good stuff!!

Will start snapping some local gigs and skate/bmx action soon (thinking of renting/borrowing a fast lens and a speedlight) and maybe just do a walk-around at my area. Hope the community here can help me with my growth and be patient with my newbie questions.. And pls, don't ass-whop me too hard!! :embrass:

I'll start posting some pics soon to be critiqued.. ;)

Last edited:
Hi drechohead,

welcome to CS

Welcome to CS! Keep posting!

Hi!! Thanks for the welcome!! :D;)

Hi all, im new here...

hope to learn more by joining this community :)
thank you..

-indhi -

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!!
I feel at home already.. ;):)

Welcome to CS! Renting is a good option. Try fast lens before you decide if you need flash.

Hi all, thanks again for the warm welcome.. :)
Welcome to CS! Renting is a good option. Try fast lens before you decide if you need flash.

Hi ahbian!! I heard you there..

I was shooting some skate action earlier and 99% of the pics were awful (to say the least)!! Tried slow-sync technique and still comes out bad.. Borrowed a fellow photographer's SB600 and the pics got worse!! The shutter speed got slower.. :confused: Going back to researching more info on the D80. Definitely something wrong with my settings. Heeeesshhh.. Hopefully i'll be more prepared for a gig on Sunday.. ;p Might borrow a 50mm f1.8 lens for that day and see how it goes with/with-out flash.. ;)

I'll put up some of the skate snaps for all of your critiques.. :)

drechohead said:
Hi all, thanks again for the warm welcome.. :)

Hi ahbian!! I heard you there..

I was shooting some skate action earlier and 99% of the pics were awful (to say the least)!! Tried slow-sync technique and still comes out bad.. Borrowed a fellow photographer's SB600 and the pics got worse!! The shutter speed got slower.. :confused: Going back to researching more info on the D80. Definitely something wrong with my settings. Heeeesshhh.. Hopefully i'll be more prepared for a gig on Sunday.. ;p Might borrow a 50mm f1.8 lens for that day and see how it goes with/with-out flash.. ;)

I'll put up some of the skate snaps for all of your critiques.. :)

Your skating action occurs in the evening hours?
If it's in the day, should be no problem at all, so I'll assume under darkness. Hopefully with some floodlights or something, else it'd be rather dark.
What kind of effect are you trying to achieve with your photograph? Do you want to show some motion in the photo, or freeze everything?

You gotta play with your 'flash sync speed' in the D80's menu. Maybe it's been set at 1/30s or something slow, hence not able to freeze motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.