Hi fresh newbie to DSLR here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esthery192

Jul 6, 2009
Hi everyone... me a real fresh newbie to DSLR.. was using Powershot P&S all along..

Just decided to buy over from my brother his 400D...
thinking of getting 18-200mm lens...

any wise recommendation from those very pro "newbies"?:angel:

get yourself some drt storage whether it be a dry cabinet or dry box... humidity here eats up lenses and equipment...
18-200 is a good wide range lens to start off with... learn to use it properly and if you start to really enjoy photography then consider investing in a little more equipment...

most importantly... have fun its not a competition... well unless you enter one.. :D

Hi Esthery192,

welcome to CS.

Anything can be a start. It just depends on how you want to begin...

Welcome to CS, I am using 18-200 too. It is a good walkabout lens to start with. :)

Hi everyone... me a real fresh newbie to DSLR.. was using Powershot P&S all along..

Welcome to CS..

You mentioned you're buying over from your brother, i suppose he would have some of the basic photog equipment available to you for use? (e.g dry cabinet for storage, cleaning kit, etc....)

IMO, i would suggest that you get familiar with the kit lens that came with the 400D before you decide getting any new equipment.

Welcome to CS.
As for lens, borrow from your bro whatever he has. After using one, or a few, you would have a better idea what you really want.

Hey Esthery192,

Welcome to CS !!! :D

Hi everyone! Thanks for the encouraging responses!
Yup, rgy1993 & pooQy my bro has got the dry cabinet and other accessories :)
which is why I decided to try DSLR for my Ladakh trip in Sept...

Yes, I think I will play around with the 50mm lens first... probably with get the 18-200mm, jtsky! :)
Stoppable.. I dun have a kit lens cos my bro has sold the 17-85mm which came with it...

I am still trying to understand how CS here works... can I bookmark this thread or what? so i dun have to search for it??
and I keep getting logged out automatically... dunno why?

I am still trying to understand how CS here works... can I bookmark this thread or what? so i dun have to search for it??

when you sign in, the forum will ask you "automatically sign in", select yes. also, your browser will also ask you to save password or not.

Welcome to CS!!!:)

Yes, I think I will play around with the 50mm lens first... probably with get the 18-200mm, jtsky! :)
Stoppable.. I dun have a kit lens cos my bro has sold the 17-85mm which came with it...

Once you have contributed to any thread, it is booked mark for you by default. On the Menu bar near the top left click on "User CP", a drop down menu will appear and then choose Suscribed Threads.

Hi, welcome..

Once you have contributed to any thread, it is booked mark for you by default. On the Menu bar near the top left click on "User CP", a drop down menu will appear and then choose Suscribed Threads.
oic... Thanks!

you are joining sigg's trip?

The 18-200 is certainly a very versatile lens coz it has a huge zoom range, all in one lens.
BUT.... and I would just like to ask you this:
Will you be using the long end of the zoom much?

My personal experience from shooting landscapes, scenery, etc... is that I much prefer the wide angles. My Nikon D80's 18-135mm kit lens was predominantly used at 18mm, and occasionally from 18 to about 50mm. VERY VERY rarely did I use the longer focal lengths 100mm and above.
Hence I bought a 12-24mm ultra-wide, and it's now my main lens. I'm glad I didn't buy the 18-200 coz it would've been a waste for my preferred type of photography.

Important thing is to find the focal range that you'll most likely use, then get the lens to match it.
Don't buy a particular lens just based on others' recommendations.

Last edited:
If you don't have a kit lens
Why not consider Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 + Canon EF-S 55-250 f/3.5-5.6 IS?

I don't think its that much more expensive then the 18-200, couple of hundred at most, but you do get much better IQ at the 17-50 range with the constant f/2.8 and 50mm more range on the long end.

Only thing is you have to swap lenses, but I've never found a problem with that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.