Hi-Fi System Scam!!!!! Be careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picard

May 27, 2004
Clementi, Singapore
Had an interesting experience today:

I went shooting around CITY hall area today and when done I went back to my car at the Armenian St. carpark. As I approached my car, 2 young men in a delivery van drove up, stopped me in my tracks and offered to 'give' me a set of Hi-fi speakers.

They claimed that:
1. The store hands at the shop got into an argument and in the process, loaded their trucks with additional speaker sets so...

2. Now...they are going to 'give' away to anyone who can give them a bit of 'drinking' money...they asked me to place a bid.

3. They then proceeded to show me their van and lo and behold it was filled with sets of speakers but the brand was 'E-VOX'

4. FOrtunately I'm a hi-fi buff and the name 'E-Vox' is unheard of and that roused my suspicion, nevertheless I've got $40 in my wallet so...let's see...

5. I told them plainly that I only have $40 and showed them and asked them about how much they expect as 'drinking' money. They replied $300 each. "WTF!!!" :eek: I thought to myself...

6. They even suggested that I hop into their van so that they can drive me to an ATM somewhere where I can w/draw the cash.

7. I said 'No' and insisted that I have only $40. They then proceeded to gave me a 'discount' to $150 per person.

8. I insisted on 'No' and told them that actually I've got a pretty good set at home (one without such vague names as 'EVOX!') They even had the cheek to ask me to upgrade (yes...to EVOX!)

9. I stood my ground and they left just before the CISCO car park guy came in his bike helmet (one of those rare times I was glad to see the carpark guy!)

10. Anyway, I talked to a few friends about it and they have heard of these cases before and warn people that sometimes these speakers may:

a. have nothing inside! :angry:
b. have inferior parts :angry:
c. be stolen goods (and may be traceable by the authories!)

So...people, be warned!! Be very very warned.

By the way, anyone knows how I can highlight this to the authorities e.g. writing to FORUM? CASE?

Be warned.

If u got their vehicle number, you can report them to the police. It's quite clearly illegal.

I call these the 4 Heavenly Kings of scam in Singapore:
- Time Share
- Multilevel Marketing
- High Class Hifi in a Van
- Magic Stone/Bargain Electronic Chip/whatever u called it

They are not new, have been around for decades, and every year I will hear ppl fall for it.
(You are lucky!)

wah lau, like that also can..

...it had a stupid name like' E-VOX'. If it had been 'Bang & Olufsen' or BOSE then...I'd have .....

...I shudder when I think of it. :sweat:

To be very blunt, it's always the case of "I want to believe", that it's "too good to be true". I suppose u allow urself to be deceived.

no. 6 is a definite no-no.

never ever hop into some stranger's van so that they can drive you to an ATM to withdraw money. they might just ask you to empty your account with some not so nice tactics. :nono:

Astin said:
- Time Share
- Multilevel Marketing

They are not new, have been around for decades, and every year I will hear ppl fall for it.
(You are lucky!)

MLM is NOT a scam! ;( Only those people who abuse or push their way thru unreasonably make it seem bad. I know a couple of decent people who have made it good thru MLM.

ya, get license plate number, report to police and get these pests off the streets.

I have encountered the exact same case few months back and that was during the Communicasia time.

I was waiting for my friend at Emerald Hill car park, and this van just stopped in front of me, there were 3 of them.

I tried very hard to reject them.

Astin said:
- Time Share
- Multilevel Marketing

(You are lucky!)

The last 2 are criminal offences known as cheating. :)

The first 2...well. I call it "cheating under the table", but the law just says that it needs to be regulated... :dunno:

Hi guys,

I experienced this twice at the open car park behind Sim Lim Square.

This man came up to me and ask me whether I want free speakers. They say it is excess stock after they made their delivery and they need to get rid of them.

I said 'no thanks' and then one guy said, 'siao, give free also dun wan'.

Anyway I encountered this twice. Same product, not sure whether same van or people.

Maybe I shld take down the van number in future.

My dad actually bought these. :cry: He paid 300 bucks for it I think.

A quick search on the internet revealed that the speakers were selling for 100+.

kiwi2 said:
MLM is NOT a scam! ;( Only those people who abuse or push their way thru unreasonably make it seem bad. I know a couple of decent people who have made it good thru MLM.

MLM is scam lah ... how can not scam one.....so esy to make money issit?

i have learnt that some people make money by scamming other people...
there are so many of these around that sometimes it's hard to differentiate between the real macoy :(

Think I met the same guys as you.
Was approached yesterday at north bridge road carpark (next to bugis). Same thing, dirty white van, shady characters.."high end" speakers

Same thing happen to me as early as last year when i was getting into my car at Bedok central carpark!

Note, a friend of mine in HiFi business warns as those are imitation goods! :what:

Status
Not open for further replies.