Hi-fi recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! So i see alot of CRAZY hi Fiers in CS too! Lol...

For me,I'm into headfi. Owed a Grado SR-80 which I bought at $170 from Stereo Electronics.
Currently I plugges it into a China Brand Tube headamp/preamp which uses Siemens E88CC tubes.

I must say it produces quite a big soundstage,able to hear the "depth" of the music.
Plus,the strings are really wonderful.Each instruments sound as its own.Its clear and detailed. =)

edwinywh said:
For me,I'm into headfi. Owed a Grado SR-80 which I bought at $170 from Stereo Electronics.
Currently I plugges it into a China Brand Tube headamp/preamp which uses Siemens E88CC tubes.

Wah!!!! I own a pair of SR-80 too.:D

Where did you bought the Chinese tube headphone amp? Interested to get one for my quiet listening room (the bedroom).

Wah ... edwin also into headfi ahh :sweat:

I'm still trying to convince myself to get a pair of grados to replace my sonys :think: ... (yea i've tested the SR60 & SR80s - they're really in a league of their own)

As for PC sound systems the altec lansing nowadays i feel are really CMI. No offence. I'm using a S2 HPM-4100 Diamond Audio Technology 2.1 speakers for my laptop. This set has long been discontinued sadly, and speakers will never be made this way again - the satellites weigh a ton and so does the sub which houses a 100W RMS amp - Made in the good ol' US of A... The sound quality i feel really blows the competition away especially if you're a listener who loves details and refinement.

I've always wanted to audition some grados but I'm pretty happy wth my KSC-75s for now =p I'm not a hardcore audiophile..photography is expensive enough.

dEthANGeL said:
As for PC sound systems the altec lansing nowadays i feel are really CMI. No offence. I'm using a S2 HPM-4100 Diamond Audio Technology 2.1 speakers for my laptop. This set has long been discontinued sadly, and speakers will never be made this way again - the satellites weigh a ton and so does the sub which houses a 100W RMS amp - Made in the good ol' US of A... The sound quality i feel really blows the competition away especially if you're a listener who loves details and refinement.

Diamond Audio Technology went bankrupt some years ago from my understanding. Yes, I know they are good, but not much choices here in Singapore.

Have you heard of the Canadian brand Monsoon? They make the best Electrostatic panel (flat) satellite speakers. I own a pair while living in the US. Costs like US$400+, but damn good :thumbsup:.

raptor84 said:
I've always wanted to audition some grados but I'm pretty happy wth my KSC-75s for now =p I'm not a hardcore audiophile..photography is expensive enough.

Photography is not expensive. It is the person's unsatisfactory mind that makes it expenisve. Same goes for hi-fi.

photobum said:
Diamond Audio Technology went bankrupt some years ago from my understanding. Yes, I know they are good, but not much choices here in Singapore.

Have you heard of the Canadian brand Monsoon? They make the best Electromagnetic panel (flat) satellite speakers. I own a pair while living in the US. Costs like US$400+, but damn good :thumbsup:.

Sadly the market now is dominated mostly by china brands :rolleyes: not to say they're no good, but somehow - something IS missing.

Even altec lansing's current range of speakers compared to the 621 & 641 series (641 literally rocks your world) where the sub is almost the same size as your mid tower casing or even larger! ...

Yup, i've heard of Monsoon ... but didn't really have the chance to audition it.. not really a fan of electrostatic/flat panel speakers...

Was @ the PC show yesterday and noticed the booth selling Beyer Dynamics headphones, but curious - they had a pair of Grado headphones, weirdly the sales person said that it isn't the SR60 nor SR80... anyone knows the difference?

dEthANGeL said:
Sadly the market now is dominated mostly by china brands :rolleyes: not to say they're no good, but somehow - something IS missing.

Even altec lansing's current range of speakers compared to the 621 & 641 series (641 literally rocks your world) where the sub is almost the same size as your mid tower casing or even larger! ...

Yup, i've heard of Monsoon ... but didn't really have the chance to audition it.. not really a fan of electrostatic/flat panel speakers...

Was @ the PC show yesterday and noticed the booth selling Beyer Dynamics headphones, but curious - they had a pair of Grado headphones, weirdly the sales person said that it isn't the SR60 nor SR80... anyone knows the difference?

Sorry I lost touch with hi-fi. The only elctrostatic/flat panel speakers I have heard so far is the Magneplanar MG2 in 70s. Very transparent speakers but lacking in bass which I understand is typical of speakers of such design.

Jaben issit? With Westone earphones? Its an Alessandro MS1 and the metal ones are the MS2.

SR60/80 are Grados.
MS1 are Alessandros.

I very much prefer the MS1 to the SR60/80. :) Has similar sound signature but the MS1 is not as bright and better balanced tonally overall.

afbug said:
Jaben issit? With Westone earphones? Its an Alessandro MS1 and the metal ones are the MS2.

SR60/80 are Grados.
MS1 are Alessandros.

I very much prefer the MS1 to the SR60/80. :) Has similar sound signature but the MS1 is not as bright and better balanced tonally overall.

Ohhhh.... so that explains it ... the guy who was speaking to me was a china national ..had a hard time understanding his english.

I love the nEAR active speakers though .. and the Numark DJ mixer connected to the lappy ;p

redstorm said:
Sorry I lost touch with hi-fi. The only elctrostatic/flat panel speakers I have heard so far is the Magneplanar MG2 in 70s. Very transparent speakers but lacking in bass which I understand is typical of speakers of such design.

:bsmilie: we're getting into high end here... :sweat: .. speaking of which - do correct me if i'm wrong - Martin Logan had a pair of these eletrostatic speakers as well but it had a woofer at the bottom... so it isn't that flat.

raptor84 said:
Hahhaaa true..the sky's the limit when it comes to hi-end audio equipment also.

My realistic dream setup is a pair of Dynaudio Audience 52SE speakers and a intergrated Classe Audio amp to drive them...now that would be sweet. ;p

dEthANGeL said:
:bsmilie: we're getting into high end here... :sweat: .. speaking of which - do correct me if i'm wrong - Martin Logan had a pair of these eletrostatic speakers as well but it had a woofer at the bottom... so it isn't that flat.

For me, no high end products. Just a pair of B&W P5 floorstanders speakers, a AudioLab 8000A amp with Nordost flatline twin speaker cable, a Pioneer CD deck with AudioAlchemy DAC - all bought about 20 years back. Still good enough for my ears. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: Just like photography, hi-fi is a damn expensive hobby. Can't afford it. :)

dEthANGeL said:
Wah ... edwin also into headfi ahh :sweat:

I'm still trying to convince myself to get a pair of grados to replace my sonys :think: ... (yea i've tested the SR60 & SR80s - they're really in a league of their own)

yO` yO`! yeah,I have been into this hobby since sec sch days. But only got the spending power to do it after i start working.

yeah,I loved my Grado after its burned it. It just kind of suddenly sounds so wonderful!

Anyway,I will be modfying my Grado... I cut out the back to improve the air flow and next I am going to change the stock cable.

Probably upgrading to SR225 at yr end. For now,its still enjoyment! :D

photobum said:
Wah!!!! I own a pair of SR-80 too.:D

Where did you bought the Chinese tube headphone amp? Interested to get one for my quiet listening room (the bedroom).

yO`,I got it from a guy nicknamed Majia in sg headphones.
Its a great forum for headfiers. :D
It cost me $250. But after rolling the tubes,it has increased to 380. hehe...

Just wondering...how much is a denon m-33 anyway? Does it come with the speakers? Or possible to get a m-31 now for less money? :)

phantasia said:
Just wondering...how much is a denon m-33 anyway? Does it come with the speakers? Or possible to get a m-31 now for less money? :)
I got the Denon DM-33 last year...as a bedroom setup. Think paid around $650-$700 for the set w/ speakers (can't remember exactly how much)...bought from a shop at The ADelphi basement one...near to the staircase one. Using Mission M30i as speakers instead of the default pair that came with the set. Great sound....of course not as good as seperates but for < $1k quite decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.