Hi-fi recommendations?


Status
Not open for further replies.

phantasia

New Member
Nov 9, 2003
639
0
0
The North
Visit site
#1
Any audiophiles here haf a good recommendation for a cheap and good hi-fi set?

Budget less than $300...plays cd, mp3 and radio.

Small and elegant looking...hehe any recommendations? ;)

Btw, any good review sites on the net for hi-fis?
 

Xing

Senior Member
Nov 4, 2004
1,048
0
36
Lower Seletar Reservoir
#2
wah... <$300... get a boom box I guess, CD, MP3 and radio...

a decent sound system will set you back at least 1K
 

phantasia

New Member
Nov 9, 2003
639
0
0
The North
Visit site
#3
Xing said:
wah... <$300... get a boom box I guess, CD, MP3 and radio...

a decent sound system will set you back at least 1K
yeah i'm not looking for those with big speakers that will fill a living room kindof thing...just a small set that will sound good and hasslefree operation in a small bedroom? :think:
 

afbug

Senior Member
Aug 19, 2004
482
0
0
Planet SG™
#4
Sorry man. $300 cannot get you hi-fi. Only low-fi. :sweat:
 

tzesian

New Member
Mar 16, 2004
442
0
0
Bukit Merah
#5
A Creative Muvo C100 and an AKG 26 or 27 Headset, is the best I could figure out for $300. It's Hi-fi !:)
 

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#6
even those micro tt playes gd sound is at least $500.

how u define gd sound depends on wad u listen 2.

IMO, JVC (woodcone), Onkyo (CS-210) & Denon (DM-31 & DM33) r hifi in tiny boxes. ;p

all above ur stated budget... :sweat:
 

dEthANGeL

Senior Member
Jun 20, 2004
1,652
0
36
Siglap
#8
My vote goes to the Denon DM-33.

Friend purchased one and has been lovin' it.

Though to me - there's something missing :think: ...
 

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#10
dEthANGeL said:
My vote goes to the Denon DM-33.

Friend purchased one and has been lovin' it.

Though to me - there's something missing :think: ...
da bass? ask ur frd upgrade de speaker cables, it will help alot. if possible isolate d speakers, like put spikes - i use marbles & tiles 2 isolate my sub. ;p
 

phantasia

New Member
Nov 9, 2003
639
0
0
The North
Visit site
#11
Er ok, actually i'm more looking at mini hi-fis...eg those mezzo systems etc...?

Recently saw this ad in the newspaper for this sony mezzo mini-hifi. $149...any good?

;)
 

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#13
phantasia said:
Er ok, actually i'm more looking at mini hi-fis...eg those mezzo systems etc...?

Recently saw this ad in the newspaper for this sony mezzo mini-hifi. $149...any good?

;)
u must b refering 2 Sony's promo. i personally hav not heard d sound so i cant comment, at tt price cant expect too much.

if i remember correct Onkyo's C-S210 is abt $480 at Harvey Norman (oni Millenia branch). tt sound is not jaw dropping great but jus abt rite 4 its price.

here's some links

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/mini_systems/audio_systems/cs-210/index.html

http://denonsingapore.com/documentation/D-M35DAB.pdf

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/hifisystem.html
 

photobum

Deregistered
Apr 17, 2005
3,068
0
0
52
#14
The difference between "hi-fi" and "low-fi" is the person who listens to it. To the untrained ears, iPods are "hi-fi". To the deaf, sound vibrations are "hi-fi".

I used to be an audiophile, until one day I woke up and realised that this was a never ending journey, just like cameras and PCs. So I decided to seize my buying spree and be satisfied with my setup. It has been almost 7 years now and I have not upgraded my system.
 

dEthANGeL

Senior Member
Jun 20, 2004
1,652
0
36
Siglap
#15
sORe-EyEz said:
da bass? ask ur frd upgrade de speaker cables, it will help alot. if possible isolate d speakers, like put spikes - i use marbles & tiles 2 isolate my sub. ;p
I auditioned the set in the showroom, i experienced this ... maybe i'm having too high expectations. :sweat:

photobum said:
The difference between "hi-fi" and "low-fi" is the person who listens to it. To the untrained ears, iPods are "hi-fi". To the deaf, sound vibrations are "hi-fi".

I used to be an audiophile, until one day I woke up and realised that this was a never ending journey, just like cameras and PCs. So I decided to seize my buying spree and be satisfied with my setup. It has been almost 7 years now and I have not upgraded my system.
True ... there are those that appreciate good quality sound (iPods connected to Grados ...and then there are those who are just satisfied with what they have (ala crappy ear phones)...

Personally, if you don't go looking, the upgrade bug won't bite you. Though, every once in a while it bites. But we have to resist temptation. Like you, i've not upgraded my system also. As my uncle says - if it sounds right, don't start changing it. Once you start - its an endless chain, from speaker cables to interconnects to components, just because you changed.
 

photobum

Deregistered
Apr 17, 2005
3,068
0
0
52
#17
phantasia said:
WOw...never knew there was so much into hi-fis. :confused:
Go to Adelphi and checkout those "pythons" (speaker cables). Some of these cables cost as much as a branded luxury Italian sofa set.

Then, go check out the turntables (record players). Some of these cost as much as a 1.6L Japanese car with COE.

After that, go check out the speakers. Some of these cost as much as a 2.4L Toyota Camry with COE!
 

raptor84

Senior Member
Dec 6, 2005
4,726
1
38
Singapore
www.furry-photos.com
#18
Actaully there can be some good headphoes that you dont have to pay though the nose for. the Koss KSC-55 and 75's are good examples. With a price tag of about $40 they can sound almost as good as the $120 Grado's

I use my KSC-75's for home listening :D Am actually thinking of buying earbuds (ATH CK-7) after my Panasonic Hje-50's died in me...
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#19
Be carefull, you pay peanut, you got monkey..... Uhhh.... monkey sound... :sweat:

Joking ha.... ;) .

Regards,
Arto.
 

dEthANGeL

Senior Member
Jun 20, 2004
1,652
0
36
Siglap
#20
:bsmilie: ... but i do agree with artosoft.

Headphones wise - it depends on what type of sound you want:

Neutral / bassy / clarity ....

It all depends on the individual.

Neutral headphones - Grado SR-60 / SR-80 (Seriously, nothing comes close and this pair rocks!) priced around $130-160 .. can't remember

Bassy - my best companion over 3+ years - Sony MDR-V300. RRP of $80-90 / Bought mine around $70 after haggling. - Has survived my events/sound monitoring usage, walkman, hifi ...

Earphones - Shure E2C / E3C Definite :thumbsup: ... but kinda hate this type of in-ear designs ... especially those people with "wet ear canals" yuck ... :bsmilie:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom