Hi-fi recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantasia

Nov 9, 2003
The North
Visit site
Any audiophiles here haf a good recommendation for a cheap and good hi-fi set?

Budget less than $300...plays cd, mp3 and radio.

Small and elegant looking...hehe any recommendations? ;)

Btw, any good review sites on the net for hi-fis?

wah... <$300... get a boom box I guess, CD, MP3 and radio...

a decent sound system will set you back at least 1K

Xing said:
wah... <$300... get a boom box I guess, CD, MP3 and radio...

a decent sound system will set you back at least 1K

yeah i'm not looking for those with big speakers that will fill a living room kindof thing...just a small set that will sound good and hasslefree operation in a small bedroom? :think:

Sorry man. $300 cannot get you hi-fi. Only low-fi. :sweat:

A Creative Muvo C100 and an AKG 26 or 27 Headset, is the best I could figure out for $300. It's Hi-fi !:)

even those micro tt playes gd sound is at least $500.

how u define gd sound depends on wad u listen 2.

IMO, JVC (woodcone), Onkyo (CS-210) & Denon (DM-31 & DM33) r hifi in tiny boxes. ;p

all above ur stated budget... :sweat:

My vote goes to the Denon DM-33.

Friend purchased one and has been lovin' it.

Though to me - there's something missing :think: ...

tzesian said:
A Creative Muvo C100 and an AKG 26 or 27 Headset, is the best I could figure out for $300. It's Hi-fi !:)
the guru has spoken ;p hi Mr Lim

dEthANGeL said:
My vote goes to the Denon DM-33.

Friend purchased one and has been lovin' it.

Though to me - there's something missing :think: ...

da bass? ask ur frd upgrade de speaker cables, it will help alot. if possible isolate d speakers, like put spikes - i use marbles & tiles 2 isolate my sub. ;p

Er ok, actually i'm more looking at mini hi-fis...eg those mezzo systems etc...?

Recently saw this ad in the newspaper for this sony mezzo mini-hifi. $149...any good?

;)

phantasia said:
Er ok, actually i'm more looking at mini hi-fis...eg those mezzo systems etc...?

Recently saw this ad in the newspaper for this sony mezzo mini-hifi. $149...any good?

;)

those are popularly refer to as "stereo". :p

phantasia said:

;)

u must b refering 2 Sony's promo. i personally hav not heard d sound so i cant comment, at tt price cant expect too much.

if i remember correct Onkyo's C-S210 is abt $480 at Harvey Norman (oni Millenia branch). tt sound is not jaw dropping great but jus abt rite 4 its price.

here's some links

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/mini_systems/audio_systems/cs-210/index.html

http://denonsingapore.com/documentation/D-M35DAB.pdf

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/hifisystem.html

The difference between "hi-fi" and "low-fi" is the person who listens to it. To the untrained ears, iPods are "hi-fi". To the deaf, sound vibrations are "hi-fi".

I used to be an audiophile, until one day I woke up and realised that this was a never ending journey, just like cameras and PCs. So I decided to seize my buying spree and be satisfied with my setup. It has been almost 7 years now and I have not upgraded my system.

sORe-EyEz said:
da bass? ask ur frd upgrade de speaker cables, it will help alot. if possible isolate d speakers, like put spikes - i use marbles & tiles 2 isolate my sub. ;p

I auditioned the set in the showroom, i experienced this ... maybe i'm having too high expectations. :sweat:

photobum said:
The difference between "hi-fi" and "low-fi" is the person who listens to it. To the untrained ears, iPods are "hi-fi". To the deaf, sound vibrations are "hi-fi".

I used to be an audiophile, until one day I woke up and realised that this was a never ending journey, just like cameras and PCs. So I decided to seize my buying spree and be satisfied with my setup. It has been almost 7 years now and I have not upgraded my system.

True ... there are those that appreciate good quality sound (iPods connected to Grados ...and then there are those who are just satisfied with what they have (ala crappy ear phones)...

Personally, if you don't go looking, the upgrade bug won't bite you. Though, every once in a while it bites. But we have to resist temptation. Like you, i've not upgraded my system also. As my uncle says - if it sounds right, don't start changing it. Once you start - its an endless chain, from speaker cables to interconnects to components, just because you changed.

phantasia said:
WOw...never knew there was so much into hi-fis. :confused:

Go to Adelphi and checkout those "pythons" (speaker cables). Some of these cables cost as much as a branded luxury Italian sofa set.

Then, go check out the turntables (record players). Some of these cost as much as a 1.6L Japanese car with COE.

After that, go check out the speakers. Some of these cost as much as a 2.4L Toyota Camry with COE!

Actaully there can be some good headphoes that you dont have to pay though the nose for. the Koss KSC-55 and 75's are good examples. With a price tag of about $40 they can sound almost as good as the $120 Grado's

I use my KSC-75's for home listening :D Am actually thinking of buying earbuds (ATH CK-7) after my Panasonic Hje-50's died in me...

Be carefull, you pay peanut, you got monkey..... Uhhh.... monkey sound... :sweat:

Joking ha.... ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

:bsmilie: ... but i do agree with artosoft.

Headphones wise - it depends on what type of sound you want:

Neutral / bassy / clarity ....

It all depends on the individual.

Neutral headphones - Grado SR-60 / SR-80 (Seriously, nothing comes close and this pair rocks!) priced around $130-160 .. can't remember

Bassy - my best companion over 3+ years - Sony MDR-V300. RRP of $80-90 / Bought mine around $70 after haggling. - Has survived my events/sound monitoring usage, walkman, hifi ...

Earphones - Shure E2C / E3C Definite :thumbsup: ... but kinda hate this type of in-ear designs ... especially those people with "wet ear canals" yuck ... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.