Hi-Fi Kakis

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRH

Mar 15, 2004
Who play serious hi-fi and mountain bikes here besides fotography?.
Anyway I gave up both hobbies cos no time liao.
Ok,for a start:
1995-I used to own 3 mountain bikes(2 Cannondales and 1 Giant).
Favorite shops:Tiong Hin(Lor Ah Soo)/Ban Hin(opp Bugis).Used to hang around these 2 shops on weekends before or after my usual rounds the island.Mr Chen and Mr Lee.Nice towkays and easy with both of them.
Unfortunately the one at Bugis(Ban Hin) closed for business.
Quite ok shops:Teck Hock Hin(near Bedok Sports Hall)/Ah Boon(can't remember shop name) at Kembangan/Alston (Upp Serangoon-closed)/the one at Sembawang(John...something,can't remember)/Hap Leong(when they were at Tiong Bahru,now at Havelock Rd).
Anyway sold my bikes to play hifi.

Used to own amps like McCormack/Aragon/Sonic Frontiers/Audionote/Electrcompaniet and Zenn Audio.Speaker were Sonus Faber Concerto/Monitor Audio Studio 10/Platinum solo/JM Reynaud Twin and Alon.
Favorite shops:Soundscape/Soul of Music(closed)/CD Acoustics/Zenn Audio.

If you guys used to or still onto these hobbies,we might have met somewhere.

Pls share.

haha...me me me

I used to own a Gary Fisher SuperCaliber (The older SAAB version).
Favorite shop is of course Tiong Hin! Used to hang ard there till 1-2am. Fortunate enough to ride with Uncle (Boss of Tiong Hin) a few times. Gave up coz of work and got married. haha... but i just got myself a Specialized bike now when i'm in US, tryin to make a comeback...haha

As for Hifi, i sold away everything before coming to US and may go back to hifi when i rtu. Used to own entry NAD, Mission before moving on to Plinius (SA100, this is coolz), ALR Jordan, Triangle, Audio Research, Arcam FMJ, Classe and in and out of LP a few times.... i still have my headphone rig with me though....Beyer 880 and a meta42.....heh....

all are expensive hobbies.....sigh.............

MRH said:
Who play serious hi-fi and mountain bikes here besides fotography?.
Anyway I gave up both hobbies cos no time liao.
Ok,for a start:
1995-I used to own 3 mountain bikes(2 Cannondales and 1 Giant).
Favorite shops:Tiong Hin(Lor Ah Soo)/Ban Hin(opp Bugis).Used to hang around these 2 shops on weekends before or after my usual rounds the island.Mr Chen and Mr Lee.Nice towkays and easy with both of them.
Unfortunately the one at Bugis(Ban Hin) closed for business.
Quite ok shops:Teck Hock Hin(near Bedok Sports Hall)/Ah Boon(can't remember shop name) at Kembangan/Alston (Upp Serangoon-closed)/the one at Sembawang(John...something,can't remember)/Hap Leong(when they were at Tiong Bahru,now at Havelock Rd).
Anyway sold my bikes to play hifi.

Used to own amps like McCormack/Aragon/Sonic Frontiers/Audionote/Electrcompaniet and Zenn Audio.Speaker were Sonus Faber Concerto/Monitor Audio Studio 10/Platinum solo/JM Reynaud Twin and Alon.
Favorite shops:Soundscape/Soul of Music(closed)/CD Acoustics/Zenn Audio.

If you guys used to or still onto these hobbies,we might have met somewhere.

Pls share.

Harro Plinius.

Seems only 2 of us share the same hobby(s) and yes,they are expensive.
I only cycle about 3 years - 1994 to 1996.Mostly long distance riding with friends.Even cycle to work from Bedok Reservoir to Chinatown.
I like Ah Cheng (Tiong Hin towkay) the best.Used to hang around his shop watching my younger(I was about 46 that time) Malay friends doing some light bike stunts.Gave up because no time even weekends.

Got into hifi around 1997.As usual got sick about buy-sell,sell-buy,wife make noise also because moved house.
I think you fairly involved in the Xtreme Place forum and Echo Loft.
Yes I used to be with Echo Loft for quite sometime under the nick of RHuss.

Got into Clubsnap on friends recommendation.
I'm not a hardcore fotographer as well as a good one.
Still learning the art.And hopefully can learn something from you.
Nice knowing you and enjoy everything you venture as long you happy.

Ciao my fren.

GT Zaskar Custom for me! :) Used to ride pretty often; BT and around SG... Sentosa too~ Not into Hi Fi tho :p Too expensive for me right now! haha~ Actually... no passion there. I'm into guitars, I play a PRS HB, Taylor 510CE, Takamine NP25C

Digging photography too~ Have covered various events, still learning, lots more to learn and begging to learn! hehe :)

after 'talking' to u here really made me missed my cycling days, where me and my kakis will go chiong Coastal Road on Friday nite, or just sit at Tiong Hin to gossip!!

RHuss...yup....looks familar.....haha

paisei here man..me also newbie to photo and learning the art like u....haha...

we shld meet up and chat abt hifi, bike and photo when i rtu next yr!!

take care!

MRH said:
Harro Plinius.

Seems only 2 of us share the same hobby(s) and yes,they are expensive.
I only cycle about 3 years - 1994 to 1996.Mostly long distance riding with friends.Even cycle to work from Bedok Reservoir to Chinatown.
I like Ah Cheng (Tiong Hin towkay) the best.Used to hang around his shop watching my younger(I was about 46 that time) Malay friends doing some light bike stunts.Gave up because no time even weekends.

Got into hifi around 1997.As usual got sick about buy-sell,sell-buy,wife make noise also because moved house.
I think you fairly involved in the Xtreme Place forum and Echo Loft.
Yes I used to be with Echo Loft for quite sometime under the nick of RHuss.

Got into Clubsnap on friends recommendation.
I'm not a hardcore fotographer as well as a good one.
Still learning the art.And hopefully can learn something from you.
Nice knowing you and enjoy everything you venture as long you happy.

Ciao my fren.

Gee good to see some moutain bikers here too...but sad to see some have given it up now. I have been cycling from road bikes to moutain bike. Got started in 82 when I was doing my NS. These day not so active but I do try to get on the bike to get in some nature and park photo shoot trips or even get into town side as well.

Presently still riding my favorite bike. A 1995 Klein Pulse first generation overside tubing. A sweet bike that just keeps getting better then harder I ride it off or on road. The only thing I have added to it in recent years were a pair of Spinergy Rims with titanium axels and some newer Shimano XTR gruppo. This is actually my first love just before I started photography about 2 yrs earlier and they have both been with me since then. Use to do alot of round island rides especially night runs inlcuding long trip rides into Malaysia to places like Desaru..etc. Alot of off road riding. Use to hang with some regular riders at the East Coast Jetty. Got most of my stuff when I was hangin around abit at Soon Watt ( Ah Boon shop when he was still selling Klein before Treknology took over) After that I will buy my stuff from all over the place including Hup Leong, Cheap John, Two Wheels, Treknology..etc. Not one of those who like to keep changing parts like those keep buying camera stuff heh... I have already fought and won my battle with the buy buy demon in my life long ago. I buy pretty good stuff and hang on to them for a long time before I change anything. Besides...my bike comes with a 1 million mile warranty (life time) and will survive a nuclear blast far better then my body! heheh..so I will see many more years of bike abuse on my Klein Pulse. heh.

Not really a hard core hi-fi freak though I love music, playing music and dabble in some PC music arrangement and guitars ( Gibson, Fender, Aria and Epiphone & Peavey Amps). Hi fi stuff I have purchase and sold includes mostly mid to low end stuff like AR, Nakamichi, Boss, Marantz, Luxman, Yamaha and alot of Sony/Denon stuff for home movie screening at home.

Mine:
-
Alchemist Forseti APD15A Integrated Amplifier MKII (Class A)
-
forseti_apd15a_int_550.jpg

-
Marantz CD17mk2 KI (Ken Ishiwata Signature)
-
Marantz_CD-17mkIIKI.jpg

-
Ultra Clean, fast and powerful Monitor Audio Studio 2SE (Rosewood)
-
MonitorAudioStudio2SE.jpg

-
Btw, this is the sexy little brother of my Forseti
-
kraken_int_amp_550.jpg

-

Speaker cable, Bi-cable/Bi-Wire AudioQuest MidNight III (2 sets to connect to 8 connector, 4 connector each side). Interconnect: AudioQuest Quartz.
Unicorn Feet + Audio UPS for clean power input.

:devil:

Aiyah! Whoelse.Why post photo also.Make my saliva dripping again,man.
Anyway I gave up for good.For those who still on hifi,just listen and enjoy the music.

Plinius-yeah,maybe one day meet up for coffee/makan and chit-chat.
Sometimes I miss the old story and good to have someone who has the same hobby and refresh our minds of something we've been through...good and bad.And maybe can bring our camera and shoot-shoot whatever we can.Don't care about camera lah...hi end or lo end just shoot only.

I can see people with similar hobby comin'.
Keep on coming...

See ya.

Ah.....you brought back memories.....

My hi-fi setup in my dedicated room:

Krell 300W power amp
Martin Logans SL-3 for fronts
Martin Logan Cinema for center
B&W CDM-1SE for Rears
ADA 6-channel power amp 150wx 6
Lexicon MC-1
All cables using Synergistic Research....
Sony 10HT Projector with 70" Screen

Alas, I gave up all of these .......now, I only have pics to remind me of those days....... :cry:

Wow you managed to buy some Audio Alchemist before they went under. Never really had a chance to try those. As for me, I am still uisng my oudated Rotel 931 Mk II and (11 year old) Tannoy speakers....sigh. Was thinking about upgrading to tubes before I decided to go seriously into photography.

As for Plinius, I kinda figured you're into HiFi, going by your nick. How much did you get your SA100 for?

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Finally ... a thread that i can blabber away

As per my sig.

I'm still into quite a few expensive hobbies:

Serious hifi, mountain biking and of course photography.

I used to be a hi-fi enthusiast before giving up a couple of years back. Am quite happy with my current setup now although I could use a new set of speakers. I had a cheapo Triangle Zephyr II which blew away the Martin Logans.

Amp: YBA Integre DT

60VV_INTEGRE_DT_AMP.JPG

CD: YBA CD Integre

70VV_CD_LECTEUR_INTEGRE.JPG

Speakers: Martin Logan Aerius II

martin-logan-aerius-i-main-photo.jpg

Terence said:
I I had a cheapo Triangle Zephyr II which blew away the Martin Logans.

heheheh....pls dun start the "box vs electrostatic" debate...... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

zorro18 said:
heheheh....pls dun start the "box vs electrostatic" debate...... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I'm not a fan of electrostatics per se but the Logans do need a fairly large room for it to really shine, and I don't quite have that space. I use Grado headphones, though electrostatic, are just supremely clean in its sound.

At least you guys have given up ... I'm trying to give up mountain biking. Sticking with photography, hifi and computers

Terence said:
I'm not a fan of electrostatics per se but the Logans do need a fairly large room for it to really shine, and I don't quite have that space. I use Grado headphones, though electrostatic, are just supremely clean in its sound.

Heh ... yeah ... still remember these giants back then at the showroom of Tat Chuan @ Plaza Singapura

Terence said:

agree...needs lots of breathing space.....maintenance also quite high...

have to switch on dehumidifier & vaccum every week :sweat:

a few years back i went into hifi and ht, spent like quite a lot on entry level amps and surround speakers. i also spent a lot of time diy speakers, amps, preamp. i had always wanted to diy the whole system, except the dts/ac3 decoder (how to diy the decoder?)

now not much time to enjoy all these liao, dun even talk about trying to continue my diy-ing.... so i'll just leave my system as is, and use whenever i have time. haven't used my main system for the past half year liao ;p usually only listen to radio or mp3 on my room system

u can see part of my system of my website

btw, any recommendation for pj? thinking of getting 1 soon :D ;) budget below 5k including installation and calibration

hi there,

haha....only hifi ppl know what plinius means....

i got mine SA100 Mk3 used for S$2400 a few years ago...i always go for used when it comes to amp, no moving parts like CDP....the SA100 is a beauty and builts like a TANK...nearly broke my back when carryin it home. ::sweat::

haha....

spindoctor said:
Wow you managed to buy some Audio Alchemist before they went under. Never really had a chance to try those. As for me, I am still uisng my oudated Rotel 931 Mk II and (11 year old) Tannoy speakers....sigh. Was thinking about upgrading to tubes before I decided to go seriously into photography.

As for Plinius, I kinda figured you're into HiFi, going by your nick. How much did you get your SA100 for?

Status
Not open for further replies.