Hi-fi and audiophile forums in SG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bee Hedge

Mar 23, 2004
Singapore
www.thegaleria.com
Not sure if there is the correct place to post this. If it's not, pls accept my apologies.

Is there a hi fi and audophile enthusiasts forum in Singapore?

Welcome to the ever spending $$$ arena .. i'm into hifi as well :sweat:

Sorry to hijack ya thread.

Stuff in echoloft etc are too cheem. There's no tutorial/sticky for newbies into the field.

I'm into a little of recording music that I play. Setup inclues guitar/vox/midi kb/mics into a mixer into the SBlive, then cubase/cakewalk, and out to old kenwood minicompo. I listen to jazz/bossa/lush/trance/house/rock/radio. collection mostly mp3s. i don't play games.

looking to have better midi sounds, better reproduction of mp3s. Thinking of a amp+speakers. recording pple in soft.com will tell me monitor speakers, pro audio cards etc. audiophiles will frown to play mp3s on expensive amps/speakers.

Haven't known a mixture of the 2 camps.

Short term budget is $1K.

Any comments/tips are welcomed!

wOoo .. Vox ... nice amp...

Anyway, why not consider an actual mixer from Mackie or Behringer? Would ease your setup. As for soundcard, the Live has lived its time ... the EMU series from Creative would be good .. Alternatively .. you can check out M-Audio products sold by Sinamex ... got a pair of KRK Systems studio monitors from them recently and a M-Audio Revo. souncard for my HTPC ...

vox...i meant vocals..:p, my amp is the humble fender frontman 15R.

my mixer is Yamaha MG10/2. I duno if studio monitors shld be the way to go as I spend only like 3% of my time recording? Unless they can act as normal hi-fi speakers well enough. Live was good, but at only 16/48, really dated against 24/96 cards. (not that i can tell the diff fr my setup). I need better midi sounds, and I believe its the plug-ins etc. which i have v few and have trouble using them.(quite newbie in this)

what is HTPC?

I am a photographer cum audiophile as well. Oh... I am a computer freak also. So.... you can always find me at either Penisula, Adelphi or Funan. Singapore's very own golden triangle.

Echoloft.com cheem? Well, most audiophiles use terminologies like focus, bright, boomy, metallic, control, airy and sweet, etc. All of them simply refer to the characteristics of sound. It is very much like photography.

photobum said:
I am a photographer cum audiophile as well. Oh... I am a computer freak also. So.... you can always find me at either Penisula, Adelphi or Funan. Singapore's very own golden triangle.

:bsmilie: ... so tell me ... do you have a hard time keeping your wallet at bay? ... i know i have :cry:

dEthANGeL said:
:bsmilie: ... so tell me ... do you have a hard time keeping your wallet at bay? ... i know i have :cry:

I wish I have. I do listening test most of the time. When there is a new audio product, I am one of the first person to know and hear. My setup at home comprised of mainly used equipment. I do not spend much now as I have already acquired the kind of sound I like.

di0nysus said:
vox...i meant vocals..:p, my amp is the humble fender frontman 15R.

my mixer is Yamaha MG10/2. I duno if studio monitors shld be the way to go as I spend only like 3% of my time recording? Unless they can act as normal hi-fi speakers well enough. Live was good, but at only 16/48, really dated against 24/96 cards. (not that i can tell the diff fr my setup). I need better midi sounds, and I believe its the plug-ins etc. which i have v few and have trouble using them.(quite newbie in this)

what is HTPC?

Oh ... cos Vox make guitar amps as well .... friend's dad is a musician ...

The mixer is ok ...

Studio monitors are the way to go if you want good and accurate reproduction. Using 2 pairs for my hifi at the moment, though from time to time i do a little editting on the PC and on the MD deck.. and yes why not? They can be used on a hifi, though they usually have a relatively neutral and flat response and uncoloured sound. If having uncoloured sound is your nitpick, then i suggest not.

Yup, the live card is already reached its time. Maybe you should go for the EMU series. They have a basic one below $200 if i'm not wrong.

Buy Buy Buy!

heh...i'm saving up now so that i could rebuild when i rtu to S'pore by end of the year.....

dEthANGeL said:

photobum said:
I wish I have. I do listening test most of the time. When there is a new audio product, I am one of the first person to know and hear. My setup at home comprised of mainly used equipment. I do not spend much now as I have already acquired the kind of sound I like.

so have you seen the Anthony Gallo reference 3 speakers? any comments?
I saw the B&W 704, but for whatever reason they didn't sound so great to me.
I'm on the market for ampli + speakers...

di0nysus said:
Sorry to hijack ya thread.

Stuff in echoloft etc are too cheem. There's no tutorial/sticky for newbies into the field.

I'm into a little of recording music that I play. Setup inclues guitar/vox/midi kb/mics into a mixer into the SBlive, then cubase/cakewalk, and out to old kenwood minicompo. I listen to jazz/bossa/lush/trance/house/rock/radio. collection mostly mp3s. i don't play games.

looking to have better midi sounds, better reproduction of mp3s. Thinking of a amp+speakers. recording pple in soft.com will tell me monitor speakers, pro audio cards etc. audiophiles will frown to play mp3s on expensive amps/speakers.

Haven't known a mixture of the 2 camps.

Short term budget is $1K.

Any comments/tips are welcomed!

Try www.sgheadphones.net.

Go to the PC Audio sub-forums. There are several EMU & M-Audio users there.

This is where audiophilia and PC audio mix together although the forums is dedicated to headphones.
Frankly, if you're using the PC while listening to music, headphones can be a good alternative to speakers. You won't disturb your family/ neighbours when you listen to music at night. Headphones often have greater resolution and better sound than speakers at the same price range.

More often than not, good headphones setups can easily best speaker setups costing up to 3x to 5x more while not having the pain of toeing and nudging speakers into the sweet-spot or finding speakers to match your room acoustics.

Firefox said:
Try www.sgheadphones.net.

Go to the PC Audio sub-forums. There are several EMU & M-Audio users there.

This is where audiophilia and PC audio mix together although the forums is dedicated to headphones.
Frankly, if you're using the PC while listening to music, headphones can be a good alternative to speakers. You won't disturb your family/ neighbours when you listen to music at night. Headphones often have greater resolution and better sound than speakers at the same price range.

More often than not, good headphones setups can easily best speaker setups costing up to 3x to 5x more while not having the pain of toeing and nudging speakers into the sweet-spot or finding speakers to match your room acoustics.

mmm... but I haven't found a headphones that gives me a proper soundstage. Is that possible to actually have the singer in front of you instead of inside you...

Still I really like my grado headphones in the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.