Hi Everyone! Need Help Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAintOver

Sep 21, 2008
Red Little Dot
Hi! I'm new to this forum, and hope you guys can teach and guide me :)
Anyway I'm looking to get my first DSLR this coming October and planning to use it for four years. Which would you guys recommend? The D90 or 50D? I know there are alot of these threads but I hope I won't get any nasty comments as all I want is advice :) I'm planning to use the camera for four years without changing so hope to get one that can keep me on it :) I like to shoot landscapes and macro, which would you guys recommend to me? The only concern is that Nikon is planning to attract mid-high end enthusiasts and the Canon is planning to attract high end enthusiasts - semi-pro. And so I think the 50D will last longer (as in keep me on it) but which is really better? Or which would u pro's out there advice me to get?

Last edited:
i'm not a pro.
but since you are in favor of both, go down and test it yourself.
i would get the 50D, Digic 4 processor etc.....................................................
but don't listen to us, cos we are not the ones using the camera. buy one that you reali need.

The only concern is that Nikon is planning to attract mid-high end enthusiasts and the Canon is planning to attract high end enthusiasts - semi-pro.

What on earth makes you think that? Both of them have DSLR cameras in the ultra-budget to high-pro line.

As for "what camera to get?". Well, you already know you should search. and you're asking for advice without doing your own research? Why buy what people tell you to buy? Like you said, there are a lot of threads like this already, why start a new one??? Mind you, there are forum rules and basic etiquette that state you should do a search.

Think for yourself! Be an adult and make the decision for yourself... You've already narrowed it down to two camera bodies. Now the next step is to go to the shops, feel them, test them, figure out which one "feels right" for you, because BOTH of them will meet your criteria.

i would get the 50D, Digic 4 processor etc....
but don't listen to us, cos we are not the ones using the camera. buy one that you reali need.

Eh, "Digic 4" is just marketing speak for their JPEG engine. Every camera brand has them, Nikon calls it Exmor, Sony calls it Bionz, etc etc

personally bro, i think that you should go to each and test it out..
its best to go with what you prefer instead of majority advise..
if its me id go for canon < no offence to nikon users> but in the end i ended up with the olympus e-3..

go with what you like. make sure the equipment suits your needs and what kinda pics you intend to take too!!

Yup. Look on the long term. The lens, flash and acessories. And also consider cost.
Canon 50D command a premium over the Nikon D90. Weigh if the benefits out weigh the premium in price:)

Anyway I'm looking to get my first DSLR this coming October and planning to use it for four years. Which would you guys recommend? The D90 or 50D? I know there are alot of these threads but I hope I won't get any nasty comments as all I want is advice :) I'm planning to use the camera for four years without changing so hope to get one that can keep me on it :) I like to shoot landscapes and macro, which would you guys recommend to me? The only concern is that Nikon is planning to attract mid-high end enthusiasts and the Canon is planning to attract high end enthusiasts - semi-pro. And so I think the 50D will last longer (as in keep me on it) but which is really better? Or which would u pro's out there advice me to get?
Hi, I am biased, as I am now on my fourth Canon (D30, 10D, 20D and now 40D), but I truly feel that Canon is a little better than Nikon purely because they have always used their own stuff, whereas Nikon until recently purchased their sensors from either Panasonic or Sony. Canon invented the CMOS sensors, which everyone is now using instead of CCD sensors. Having said that, the Nikon is said to have a more durable shutter, but I think wth the 40D rated at 100,000 actuations, Canon is already there. Picture-wise, the Canon seems to provide better all round quality. With the 50D at 15 MP, you should have no problem there. But I think, if you have the money, you should go in for the 5D because it has a full-frame sensor, which none of the Nikons have, and won't have for a long time. The only disadvantage is that the 5D is pretty dated, and does not have Live-view, etc. If Canon is going to put out a 6D, that is, with 15 MP, plus live view plus a full-frame sensor, you should wait and buy that. For landscape shots, a full-frame sensor is hard to beat.

Hi there, personally, I believe both Nikon and Canon are good camera brands.. so don't worry as to which model is better. As recommended by some, it's best you try the cameras yourself before making a decision. You never know, during the trying process, you may realise some other models or brands camera suits you better.

I have been using my Nikon D70s for a while now, and is still very happy about it.. have fun :)

Hi, I am biased, as I am now on my fourth Canon (D30, 10D, 20D and now 40D), but I truly feel that Canon is a little better than Nikon purely because they have always used their own stuff, whereas Nikon until recently purchased their sensors from either Panasonic or Sony.

You really need to do some research before posting... Nikon Still buys most of their sensors from Sony. Canon used Sony sensors in some of their PnS cameras as well.

Canon invented the CMOS sensors, which everyone is now using instead of CCD sensors.

No, CCD is still used in a majority of cameras and DSLRs. Also, Canon DID NOT invent the CMOS sensor. They may have been the first to create a full-frame-equivalent 35mm CMOS sensor, but they did not invent it. Frank Wanlass was the inventor of CMOS logic circuits in 1963, and he did it while working at Fairchild Semiconductor. The use of CMOS logic gates in photographic sensors was pioneered by Tsutomu Nakamura, who worked on the concept of the "Charge Modulation Device active pixel sensor" (a.k.a. CMOS) at Olympus. This concept was further described by J.W. Noble in 1968, with his article called "Self-scanned silicon image detector arrays" as well as Savvas G. Chamberlain in 1969. Final creation of working CMOS image sensors was accomplished by Eric Fossum while working at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in 1993. Members of JPL then founded Photobit Corp, which continued to advance CMOS technology.

Having said that, the Nikon is said to have a more durable shutter, but I think wth the 40D rated at 100,000 actuations, Canon is already there. Picture-wise, the Canon seems to provide better all round quality.

Based on? Many people (portrait photogs especially) would prefer the higher detail and color tone the Nikons provide over Canon.

With the 50D at 15 MP, you should have no problem there. But I think, if you have the money, you should go in for the 5D because it has a full-frame sensor, which none of the Nikons have, and won't have for a long time.

You've never heard of the D3 and D700? The D3 is easily rates as one of the best full-frame cameras out there, with spectacular high ISO performance.

The only disadvantage is that the 5D is pretty dated, and does not have Live-view, etc. If Canon is going to put out a 6D, that is, with 15 MP, plus live view plus a full-frame sensor, you should wait and buy that. For landscape shots, a full-frame sensor is hard to beat.

You don't know about the 5D MkII?

Please, before you try to post so much, at least try to get your facts straight, instead out of a canon marketing brochure.

You really need to do some research before posting... Nikon Still buys most of their sensors from Sony. Canon used Sony sensors in some of their PnS cameras as well.

No, CCD is still used in a majority of cameras and DSLRs. Also, Canon DID NOT invent the CMOS sensor. They may have been the first to create a full-frame-equivalent 35mm CMOS sensor, but they did not invent it. Frank Wanlass was the inventor of CMOS logic circuits in 1963, and he did it while working at Fairchild Semiconductor. The use of CMOS logic gates in photographic sensors was pioneered by Tsutomu Nakamura, who worked on the concept of the "Charge Modulation Device active pixel sensor" (a.k.a. CMOS) at Olympus. This concept was further described by J.W. Noble in 1968, with his article called "Self-scanned silicon image detector arrays" as well as Savvas G. Chamberlain in 1969. Final creation of working CMOS image sensors was accomplished by Eric Fossum while working at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in 1993. Members of JPL then founded Photobit Corp, which continued to advance CMOS technology.

Based on? Many people (portrait photogs especially) would prefer the higher detail and color tone the Nikons provide over Canon.

You've never heard of the D3 and D700? The D3 is easily rates as one of the best full-frame cameras out there, with spectacular high ISO performance.

You don't know about the 5D MkII?

Please, before you try to post so much, at least try to get your facts straight, instead out of a canon marketing brochure.
he did make me think carefully again - nikon doesn't have FF camera?? oh what a joke.
he's the one who is "dated" lol
no offend k.

Hi, I am biased, as I am now on my fourth Canon (D30, 10D, 20D and now 40D), but I truly feel that Canon is a little better than Nikon purely because they have always used their own stuff, whereas Nikon until recently purchased their sensors from either Panasonic or Sony.

I must say this is quite an incorrect perspective, doesn't mean that you manufacturer and design everything means that you will do it better. I'm from the IT realm myself, allow me to quote you a common phrase, "Don't reinvent the wheel"

Good or bad product can alos be affected by wise or unwise investment of your components. First of all, Nikon to manufacture all the components in a camera, not Canon either. It's often design by Canon or design by Nikon. If a company can identify the right components from another third party company, their product can in the end surpass another company that manufacture everything themselves. Of course, the disadvantage here is dependency, but that is totally another issue, it's purely business dependency.

Below is some points that I can summarize.
1) Dependecies when using third party components in price and performance
2) Buying from a dedicated design might lower R&D cost and bring about cheaper system.
3) Spend more cost and effort on other aspect of the system instead of the single component.

All in all, there are other factors contributing to the success of a product, not necessary just manufacture everything oneself means it's good.

I think this thread is getting a little out of topic. Lets try to help him, if not point him to the right direction. Cheers!

Well, it's true that there are many similar questions like yours being asked, but one thing you should do is to read up on your basics:). There are many resources within this forum which will help you make your own decision. Its like buying a car, you gotta do your info searching before making the decision to get one. Some might prefer Mazda, others, Toyota. It all boils down to, which camera you're comfortable with, within your budget and see yourself holding onto it for sometime. I'm not the best person to advice you which to get or which make is better, but I can assure you that by reading up, it'll clear the confusion and you'll have a clearer idea of what you want.

Anyway, you might want to read this up.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245883

My 2 cents... ;) Cheers

The most important thing now is wether its true that the D90 is aiming for the category below the 50D which means mid - high enthusiasts while the Canon is trying to attract high - semi-pro and just seeking help on which you would buy if you had the choice assuming its your first DSLR and have no past experiences

Last edited:
Both Nikon and Canon are good.
It is your future investment!
My advise: Once you are in Canon line, you should better stay with Canon, and vice versa for Nikon. They are both having different type of lens so that you can't my Canon lens and mount it on Nikon body, and vice versa.

I like Nikon D90 for:
- the cool movie capture feature. I think it will be fun to have both video and photo modes. Kinda miss video mode after switching from P&S camera to DSLR.
- SD card == very cheap storage. CF card is still more expensive than SD card.

I like Canon 50D for:
- higher resolution (15 MP)

Checkout dpreview for more details
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d90.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond90/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos50d.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos50d/

PS: I own Canon 350D, and now i'm waiting for 5D mark II. :D

Eh, "Digic 4" is just marketing speak for their JPEG engine. Every camera brand has them, Nikon calls it Exmor, Sony calls it Bionz, etc etc

lol. sorry ah. wanting to mean Canon upgraded their processor.

I like to shoot landscapes and macro, which would you guys recommend to me? The only concern is that Nikon is planning to attract mid-high end enthusiasts and the Canon is planning to attract high end enthusiasts - semi-pro.

any camera can shoot landscapes and macro properly if paired with the right photographer (first and foremost) and the right lens combination.

and there is nothing to do with what you have said above.. all of them have entry level cams all the way to pro level.

The most important thing now is wether its true that the D90 is aiming for the category below the 50D which means mid - high enthusiasts while the Canon is trying to attract high - semi-pro and just seeking help on which you would buy if you had the choice assuming its your first DSLR and have no past experiences

Free yourself from this scheme of thinking ... it is completely irrelevant for a sound decision about which camera to chose. Amateur, semi-pro, target group - it's all marketing bubbles that do not play any role when taking pictures. You don't make any good picture just because you have a 50D which (according your thinking) supposedly aims at "high - semi-pro" (whatever this term really means).
The selection of cameras should start with the knowledge of a person. It doesn't make much sense to have a 5D and no idea what's going on. Less features might be more helpful to understand the topic. If you ask the people here with all their knowledge then it's obvious that they all would select a higher end model - because they know why. Your condition "and have no past experiences" is purely hypothetical for many members here, they have experiences. On the other hand: beginners without past experiences should start slowly. There's nothing bad or wrong about starting with a low end camera, regardless which brand. It's rather silly to go after marketing bubbles and select a camera because one wishes to be "semi-pro".

I have a quicker (?) solution.

How many Canon users do you have as friends?
How many Nikon users do you have as friends?

If the answer to the first question is higher than the second, get the Canon. If the answer to the second quesetion is higher than the answer to the first, get the Nikon.

If you have the equal number of friends who are using both systems, just toss a coin.

Knowing people who use the same system as you matters as you could exchange lenses with them etc.

Just my 2 cents worth. Both are great cameras anyways.

Hi, I'm a newbie and I was also at the same cross-road junction as the 2 cameras were released a week apart from each other.
I bought the Nikon D90 by the way. My selection is based on a few factors.
1. Features of both cam... just simple research.
2. Size and weight of the 2 cams... 50D is a little too huge and heavy for my liking
3. Price.. Nikon has gotten a neat package with a rather affordable price tag.

You may ask me why pic quality was not in the consideration. But honestly, I really can't find any faults with the picture quality by the 2 cams!!! So to me it kinda justified my purchase. Hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.