Hi everyone. DSLR help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperbox

Nov 29, 2007
Bishan
www.pbox.deviantart.com
I'm am **** sure I am gonna go into DSLR. Currently do some amateur stuff on a Canon G5, need to shoot higher resolution stuff, also wanna do some events photography with it.

What to buy?/What do I need?

what body?
what lens?
what memory card?

Where to buy - MS color sounds good. ;)

My budgets <$2000.

I'm new here, appreciate your comments!

btw, does one really need a 'grip'?

btw, does one really need a 'grip'?

I think you need to get a grip on the "search" function, in which case you'd find a couple dozen threads with your exact question.

What to buy?/What do I need?

what body?
what lens?
what memory card?

I'll give you a little bit of help:

1. What body? Hard to say. You'll need to invest mainly in lenses, so I suggest getting an entry-level body, such as a Sony A100, Nikon D40X, Canon 400D, etc. By the way, these are going for a STEAL on the marketplace section now.

2. What lens? This is the million-dollar question... You'll need to realize that this is your main investment, and you'll need to consider your main use. Stage/event photography? You'll want to look at the 70-200 f/2.8 range, but that can wipe out your whole $2k budget.

3. What memory card? Often the most overlooked purchase. Get 2-3 4GB cards, preferably Sandisk Extreme III or IV.

Hi Rashkae,

I currently shoot shoes and I wanna shoot events ie. weddings and all.

And I don't wanna risk investing so much cash and end up losing interest in photography.

I'm a graphic designer by profession, know a thing or 2 about cameras and loads on photoshop.

It's exciting to anticipate what I'll get my hands on in the end, just slightly worried I might buy something outside what I need or end up being a carrot head.

;p

Well, you may want to invest in a good 50mm or 85mm prime lens then.

prime lens seem expensive! but i can use em' for other purposes right?

Of course. "Prime" doesn't mean "limited to only one purpose".

The main benefit of a good prime lens is the fantastic bokeh and shallow DOF, which is important for wedding or product photography.

Go check out the marketplace section like what Rashkae mentioned, there are alot of entry level DSLR going on sale for really good prices now. :)

depending on whether you have any lenses at home, if not, you can choose to start at any side, canon, nikon etc are all good equips.

I think it may be a good idea to just get a kit lens say for Nikon 18-55mm or 18-70mm and try out the various focal lengths when you do your shoots and from there you can progress on to prime lenses. I started out using prime lenses but was at quite a loss as I didn't know which focal length was good for what etc. Just my 0.5 cts worth.

hey dude .. since ur afraid tat u might invest too much and end up losing interest in photography , why not consider a prosumer camera or a cheaper DSLR model ? and when u decide tat ur into photography , u can always upgrade later . For me I got a prosumer cam , the Canon Powershot S5is ..

Purely my opinion.....

Playing around a prosumer and dslr is quite different.

I would suggest getting 2nd hand DSLR system.... and if you do lose interest, the loss won't be as great. With 2nd hand stuff, chances of upgrading is high and that often generates interest (infected with BBB virus).

Purely my opinion.....

Playing around a prosumer and dslr is quite different.

I would suggest getting 2nd hand DSLR system.... and if you do lose interest, the loss won't be as great. With 2nd hand stuff, chances of upgrading is high and that often generates interest (infected with BBB virus).

Yupp this is very very true. You might want to go borrow a set from your friend to try it out and see if you like the feel or the camera etc before getting one. But I guess once you catch the virus, you won't be able to get rid of it...

;p

Status
Not open for further replies.