Hi Everyone :) a little help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyfish

Jun 5, 2009
i'm new to photography, never touched a dslr camera, and would like to explore fashion photography.

I would like to know if you guys have a recommendation for a point and shoot camera to recommend if i would like to expect results like these below,

i do know that lighting and processing are important but just a gauge on what i'd like to be able to do with the recommended cameras

from simpler things like:
gossip_girl_fashion.jpg

fashion-v1.jpg

revolve_items.jpg

to things like these if possible ( effects and all)
http://www.m2kstudios.com/images/fashon_06.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/...lla_92/mlc_fashion_photography_exhibition.jpg
http://images.shareordie.in/uploads/2008/04/fashion-photography-wallpapers-050.jpg

i've done some research on a few models, but, i'm extremely unsure, though i hear they are the better ones amongst point and shoot cameras.

Those i have in mind:
1) Canon G10
2) Panasonic LX3
3) Sony DSC-HX1

i'd like to be able to do indoor and outdoor shots, but mostly indoor, and sometimes face portraits, so good macro shots would be good, i like to see wrinkles.

If you have other suggestions please do list them, they will be very much appreciated.

p.s: also do you guys know where can i purchase photography stuff in Singapore like lighting ,backdrops such as seamless paper? i'm looking for a soft box and would like to build my own backdrop using seamless paper for my own mini studio

Thank you very much,
and your comments are much appreciated!:)

Last edited:
Why don't you get older DSLRs like the canon 300D 350D, etc that comes with kit lens or excellent but cheapo 50mm f1.8 lenses for 300bucks+ onwards + home studio lighting kit found at marketplace in CS.

Not difficult.

i'm only a newbie...if it were me...i would choose canon for their quality...i'm using Nikon D40 by the way..haha...i belive you can create this photo with a point and shoot camera as these pics that you posted do not have shallow depth of field...why a DSLR is better is because of the image sensor being bigger and better quality than a point and shoot...and it allows lenses to be changed so that you can create image with a shallow dept of field..like a model with the background blur...yeah....but you can also mimic this effect using photoshop by using blur such as the gaussion (lazy to check spelling) blur...

As for the lighting you can check under Lighting thread in cs...as well as ebay i know got people selling softbox and background paper...i'm not sure how good it is...as for me i got think of buying external flash and remotely trigger with umbrella and softbox...if you really want to get a soft box..rent and see if it works for you yeah...

I'm curious when you say u want to see wrinkles...cos you doing fashion photography and almost everyone tends to remove wrinkles and other things like pimples and make the skin smooth...haha...i guess you want to create a realistic image then a photoshopped one...haha...

All the best in taking your photos... don't give up... :p

Hihi,

i don't mind exploring into DSLRs but i'm really super.. newbie at this, i'm a fashion student and i'd like to just play around for my portfolio before venturing into DSLRs, but i do welcome the suggestion ( just a tad scary for me!) so many lenses.. and all. haha, thank you for your suggestion though.

of the 3 cams u shortlisted, i would go with the canon G10 which imho has the best combination of useful lens range and image quality.

i'm only a newbie...if it were me...i would choose canon for their quality...i'm using Nikon D40 by the way..haha...i belive you can create this photo with a point and shoot camera as these pics that you posted do not have shallow depth of field...why a DSLR is better is because of the image sensor being bigger and better quality than a point and shoot...and it allows lenses to be changed so that you can create image with a shallow dept of field..like a model with the background blur...yeah....but you can also mimic this effect using photoshop by using blur such as the gaussion (lazy to check spelling) blur...

As for the lighting you can check under Lighting thread in cs...as well as ebay i know got people selling softbox and background paper...i'm not sure how good it is...as for me i got think of buying external flash and remotely trigger with umbrella and softbox...if you really want to get a soft box..rent and see if it works for you yeah...

I'm curious when you say u want to see wrinkles...cos you doing fashion photography and almost everyone tends to remove wrinkles and other things like pimples and make the skin smooth...haha...i guess you want to create a realistic image then a photoshopped one...haha...

All the best in taking your photos... don't give up... :p

hihi!

thanks for your reply, i don't mind a DSLR but if a point n shoot can give these shots, i would prefer to start with a semi-pro point and shoot. So, a Canon G10? i heard the Panasonic Lenses are also v renowned

do you happen to know anywhere in singapore for buying the lightbox? because i'm afraid of exorbitant shipping charges!

i'd like to see wrinkles as i like to do close up face shots of expressions.. frowns.. laughter.
Fashion photography would be my main sport as i'm a fashion design student, i'd like to be able to shoot models in clothes be in still or movement ( i gather movement i'd need a DSLR? like flowing skirt.. in the wind blowing):bsmilie:

Thank you for your encouragement and reply

Last edited:
of the 3 cams u shortlisted, i would go with the canon G10 which imho has the best combination of useful lens range and image quality.

hI Zaren,

would a G10 suffice for shots like those i've posted? also if you do have other suggestions besides the three, please do advice, thank you!

the best pns camera in your options are as expensive as an entry level dslr. if u are looking at shooting those things u showed, i think investing in a dslr system will be more ideal in the long run.

try sourcing for a good deal in the forum. u dont need an ex camera to start off. a canon 400d or nikon d40 is sufficient already.

u can get your studio equipment from shops here or u can get them online from the vendors here. prices are quite competitive.

the studio shots can be done with a pns but you need one which has strobe features either using pocket wizard or wireless to control the lights...a dslr would make things easier.

for general fashion shoot on the cheap,

i recommend dslr + 18-200 (stabilisation recommended).
off shoe capable flash (recommended with external battery pack for rapid fire).

Babyfish,

What is your budget?
As many others have suggested, for the price of a G10, you could get a used Canon 350D or 400D plus a EF 50mm f1/8 lens, and the capability of that basic DSLR setup would be much much more than a P&S.
It's not impossible to get those fashion shots with a P&S, but there's much more creative possibilities with a DSLR.
My 2 cents.

browncow

Babyfish,

What is your budget?
As many others have suggested, for the price of a G10, you could get a used Canon 350D or 400D plus a EF 50mm f1/8 lens, and the capability of that basic DSLR setup would be much much more than a P&S.
It's not impossible to get those fashion shots with a P&S, but there's much more creative possibilities with a DSLR.
My 2 cents.

browncow

Hi browncow, and flipfreak and reportage

my budget is anything below $2000, i'm not so worried about the budget for the Camera. I don't mind if a PNS can get these shots but price wise about same as DSLRs, as a plus would be they're compact and i can bring them around easily.

but more worried about the confusion i'd have with a DSLR to deliver these shots, but if they are more easily achievable i don't mind a DSLR.

*just a background info : the only camera i ever used is a Canon ixus 7.1 megapixel ( which sucks horribly, horribly horribly)*

so from the posts i gather that these are the ones i should be looking at?

PNS:
Canon G10

DSLR
Canon 400d
Nikon 40

hi, if your budget is for a G10, why not try the E620 olympus, with art filters... as you say you are new, then you can just use the art filter mode of the cam... i think the "pop art" in the art filters can get you this vibrant colours... this way, you dont have to think so much of the settings, just shoot shoot shoot! you can use it as a P n S while you are learning the settings... then afterwards, you can use it as a DSLR. it's small, got live view like PnS, and it suites your budget! just my opinion though.:)

Last edited:
Pretty wasted not to be utilizing DSLR with that amount of $ spent. I know some really well established intl photographers having winning photographs using a mere entry level DSLRs and lenses mentioned. Prosumer lose out in terms of clicking speed, etc, I was a fashion student too, been there done that.

babyfish, you like studio photo I suggest you use FUJI! their sensor rocks! Their colour is superb! Nevermind a bit slow cos you have the time to pose the model. Fuji finepix S5.

hihi!

thanks for your reply, i don't mind a DSLR but if a point n shoot can give these shots, i would prefer to start with a semi-pro point and shoot. So, a Canon G10? i heard the Panasonic Lenses are also v renowned

do you happen to know anywhere in singapore for buying the lightbox? because i'm afraid of exorbitant shipping charges!

i'd like to see wrinkles as i like to do close up face shots of expressions.. frowns.. laughter.
Fashion photography would be my main sport as i'm a fashion design student, i'd like to be able to shoot models in clothes be in still or movement ( i gather movement i'd need a DSLR? like flowing skirt.. in the wind blowing):bsmilie:

Thank you for your encouragement and reply

hihi!...haha...

I don't know about panasonic cameras as i have never touched them...maybe someone who used it in CS might be of help to you...I have heard that Canon and Nikon are the more popular choices among the brands and they have won a lot of awards so yeah... i suggested the Canon G10...why don't you try typing "Canon G10" or "Canon G10 portraits" in flickr and see the images taken by it...and also try reviews online...the best will be if u can get it from someone who has it and try it out if it suits you...i'm saying this for the rest of your choices too..

As for where to get...i'm not really sure le...i got see one photography shop that i believe got sell softbox in sim lim square. It's on one of the top floors. You can also try, "http://stores.shop.ebay.com.sg/ephotostudio"...yeah...

haha...for movement you need a fan or wind...haha...i understand what you're saying...I believe can capture movement using a PnS camera...but of course DSLR gives you more control over it...i believe with PnS you can take shots like the frozen image of the person with the hair and the skirt "flying" in the air...but with DSLR you can make the movement blur..or take multiple shots in very fast speed..helps you to get more pics over a few seconds of movements...yeah... it all depends what you want.. if you find that in the long run you will be going to venture in this field...fashion photography and others....DSLR will be better..but it comes at a price too..have to get the appropriate lenses dry cabinet to keep the lenses from getting fungus etc...haha...have fun.... :p

Wow ... with $2000, you can really have a lot of choices.

I am a new user to lumix LX3 and the camera can do wonders. But I never did much portrait shots so I cant comment whether you can achieve what you want with LX3.

But its definitely within budget and handy to carry around.

Hi browncow, and flipfreak and reportage

my budget is anything below $2000, i'm not so worried about the budget for the Camera. I don't mind if a PNS can get these shots but price wise about same as DSLRs, as a plus would be they're compact and i can bring them around easily.

but more worried about the confusion i'd have with a DSLR to deliver these shots, but if they are more easily achievable i don't mind a DSLR.

*just a background info : the only camera i ever used is a Canon ixus 7.1 megapixel ( which sucks horribly, horribly horribly)*

so from the posts i gather that these are the ones i should be looking at?

PNS:
Canon G10

DSLR
Canon 400d
Nikon 40

Status
Not open for further replies.