hi every1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wi77oh

Oct 25, 2009
hello everyone, i am totally new to dslr n was thinking of buying 1 to start after saving fr quite sm time. Previously was using those compact camera. Recently check on eos 500D. If i dnt recall wrongly with kit I ( lens 18mm-55mm) the price was $1399. Kit II (lens 18mm-200mm) the price was $2099.
Shld i go fr the Kit I n use the differences of the $700 to buy another similar or other lens ?will i actually get a better deal n save sm $? Which is mre worth it? N what shld a beginner like me do? max budget 2k.
or if there a cheaper deal elsewhere pls let me knw.
:confused:

hello everyone, i am totally new to dslr n was thinking of buying 1 to start after saving fr quite sm time. Previously was using those compact camera. Recently check on eos 500D. If i dnt recall wrongly with kit I ( lens 18mm-55mm) the price was $1399. Kit II (lens 18mm-200mm) the price was $2099.
Shld i go fr the Kit I n use the differences of the $700 to buy another similar or other lens ?will i actually get a better deal n save sm $? Which is mre worth it? N what shld a beginner like me do? max budget 2k.

Cheaper deals for the 500D: Look at the Canon Priceguide here on CS. Hint: Use the search.
Cheaper deals if you do NOT go Canon: Yes, quite a few, from Nikon, Sony, Olympus and Pentax.

hi TS, maybe you can get just the 500D body only and can get the 18-55 2nd hand around $100. Since you are new you might want to shoot more before you decide what lens is really suitable for you. 18-200 is a useful lens with a good range, bascially one lens for all/most purpose. But if you are really into this hobby you might find it lacking in built and image quality soon.

wi77oh said:

any particular reason why you have narrowed down your shortlist to just one camera model?

The 500D is the so-called mid-entry level camera in Canon's line-up, above the 1000D. The feature set should keep you happy for some time, even if you find your interest and skills developing in this hobby.

2000 budget is quite decent. You could spend pretty much all of it on something like 500D (body only) + 17-50 tamron lens + 50mm f/1.8 lens + dry cabinet.
[...or maybe that exceeds budget slightly, I'm not sure]

but if you're not sure whether or not you'll be interested in photography in half a year's time, maybe you should try to spend as little as possible.
you can consider a 2nd hand body + lens first. Use it for a while. If you find that a DSLR is not for you, selling it off won't result in a huge loss.

The best deal is the one where you benefit most. But which newbie really knows what he/she needs? :)
Putting the brand aside I recommend getting the kit lens first and keep some money aside for other things like dry cabinet, cleaning kit, camera bag, tripod etc. First get the basics of using a DSLR right. Along the way you'll learn about the lenses, the types, features, characteristics so that you can make your own decision based on knowledge, experience and needs. There is no need to rush and hunt for "best deals" - the lenses will still be available in 6 months and maybe then your interest is shifted into a different direction anyway.

Read, read, read, then assess ... carefully. :)

thks every1 fr the advices.

The new Pentax Kx is rumored to be just under $1k with 18-55mm kit lens and coming in in end Oct.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593141

Pentax usually will offer that tad bit more for the money you pay. Check out the specs yourself using a google search. ;)

Regardless of your choice, I would recommend either of the 2 :
1. Stick to Camera + Kit lens first, and invest in other lenses later when you get a better idea what you need. The savings of ~$700 you mentioned is significant enough to get you a decent lens in BnS here.
2. Just get camera body and get a good fast budget zoom like the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Sigma 18-50/2.8. The coverage, speed, performance of either 2 lenses should see you through most general shooting needs.

The new Pentax Kx is rumored to be just under $1k with 18-55mm kit lens and coming in in end Oct.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593141

Pentax usually will offer that tad bit more for the money you pay. Check out the specs yourself using a google search. ;)

Regardless of your choice, I would recommend either of the 2 :
1. Stick to Camera + Kit lens first, and invest in other lenses later when you get a better idea what you need. The savings of ~$700 you mentioned is significant enough to get you a decent lens in BnS here.
2. Just get camera body and get a good fast budget zoom like the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Sigma 18-50/2.8. The coverage, speed, performance of either 2 lenses should see you through most general shooting needs.

if i get the 18-200 then is its too slow fr general shooting?

Haha.... learn to walk 1st before learn to run.
Cant have it all ya know...

No right or wrong in using a 18-200. I used a 28-200mm as my only lens when I was using film.

Its just mho that you don't need to pay extra for the 18-200.
1. The 18-55mm kit lens comes 'free' (or very little extra cost). You save some money to think of what you need later.
2. You can easily get a 2nd hand 55-200mm for around $200 in BNS here, if you need a cheap zoom.
3. 18-200mm saves you the hassle of changing lenses, but I'd say 18-55mm covers most types of shooting. Its good to explore the focal lengths/limits of the kit lens 1st.
4. If you went for option#2 (ie. Sigma/Tamron 17-50/2.8), at least you spend money on a lens that is much better than the kit lens (or 18-200), and is a lens that you will not outgrow.

Does Canon have a budget lens around the 18-100mm focal range, something like Nikon's 18-105VR?
I think that sort of a focal range is quite ideal as a walkabout lens, at a fraction of the price of the 18-200.
Although I'd have to agree with pinholecam that the 18-55 would satisfy 80-85% of the walkabout requirements, and it's lighter too! :)

maybe TS could consider pairing that lens (18-135) with the 500D instead of the 18-55.
If it were totally my choice (and considering the kind of photography I like), it'd be 500D + 10-22 + tamron 17-50, but that pretty much blows the 2K budget ;) and that's even before getting to tripod, ext flash, dry cabinet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.