Hi and seeking advise on care/maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardrock

Jul 10, 2009
Hello all, i'm very new to DSLR and just got myself a Nikon D40 with 18-55 lens.

I would like to see advice/tips on how to take care of a camera, what are the key areas to watch out for like the mirror, tools to help in maintenance and lastly how to store it when not in use.

Also, anyone have a carrier/bag to recommend or sell off?
Pls let me know.
Hear from you all gurus

Hello...welcome.

You can get yourself a dry cabinet to store the cam & lenses when not in use, this will prevent the growth of fungus. Next get a lens pen and some filters to protect the lens and a proper camera bag to bring your cam around. Try not to have your cam come in contact with water/liquid also.

These should be enough and don't worry too much about taking extra care of your cam as it's just an equipment, better to concentrate in getting better pictures.

go to the BnS section of the forum, you should find many deals for bags over there=)

Yup. Just confirmed a deal on the bag. Now seeking a dry box cabinet - any brand recommendation? Budget < $100
I saw someone selling Akira Dry digital cabinet but i cant seem to find any reference to Akira dry cabinet.

if you want less than 100 dollars, i think you gotta go second hand. check out the BnS again lor...

I haven't heard of Akira before, heard of AKARUI only. cathay photo carries AKARUI. cheapest first hand ones are about 118 dollars. but i advise you not to get the smallest one cause you will run out of space very fast.

Try the DigiCabi dry cabinet range...

I would like to see advice/tips on how to take care of a camera, what are the key areas to watch out for like the mirror, tools to help in maintenance and lastly how to store it when not in use.

The inside of the camera should not be touched unless you know exactly what you are doing. The only tool you'll need there for now is a good blower (e.g. rocket blower) to remove dust from the mirror or sensor. Keep the tip of the blower always outside the mirror chamber. Check the manual, there is a sensor cleaning mode to open the shutter curtain and expose the sensor.

U can get a Lenspen too. Use it to wipe dust and fingerprint off the lens.

Just put it in your bag. It cost ard $11-$15. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.