hi~ and needing help to look for that cute lil film camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yin

Jun 19, 2005
Singapore
yin.santay.net
firstly, hi!

i've been lurking around the forum for awhile now. my boyfriend, detrop's been linking me to pretty photographs all around the forum~ but it's only now that i think of registering :embrass:

(wth why is that blushing emoticon called embrass??? um... oh well...)

actually, i love to draw. i've been enjoying the few zoo trips and taxi trips...(yes i drew those taxi uncles... it's so interesting how different our head shapes can be!) but sometimes, there are moments where it's too short to capture with just pen and sketchbook. i've let plenty of such moments passed me by... pity!

i have a digital camera(can't remember model, but it's a 2.something megapix nikon) however, i prefer film cameras, although digital ones seem more convenient. i love how the colors turn out in film cameras :heart:

putting in mind that i'm almost a total newbie in photography, which film camera would you recommend? i don't need a high end camera. just a simple, decent film camera will do. hopefully it's not that big and heavy... so they can go into my bags :embrass:

i don't know whether this info will help you to advise me, but i want to take photographs of people, events, and animals. not so much about sceneries. unless maybe it's very intrigueing.

i'll ask detrop for opinions once he wake up, but i think diverse opinions would be nice :)

meanwhile waiting for response, i'll look for threads on how-to-take-pics-of-people-without-them-thinking-that-i'm-a-pedo-or-some-maniac

Yin said:
firstly, hi!

i don't know whether this info will help you to advise me, but i want to take photographs of people, events, and animals. not so much about sceneries. unless maybe it's very intrigueing.

Try an Olympys (if only because it's Weatherproof)

From what you're planning to take, you'd probably need something wide for events but zoomed for people and animals. Many compact cameras have zooms starting at 35mm but that isn't wide enough coverage sometimes. This one starts at 28mm: http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/195_mju_mju__-III_Wide_100.htm

Enjoy :)

If you can get hold of the Rollei Prego 90, it's a good film camera too. 28mm to 90mm and has various program modes. ie. Portraiture.. This mode's cool because it will determine where the person is and auto-zoom in..
Also has a Bulb mode where the camera displays how long you've been holding down the shutter for long exposures..
Besides that, you do get nice German optics. Sharp and rich colours..

hazekang>thank's for the welcome~ saw your gallery! i see you've been photographing living beings most of the time! <3

caras>i'm lookin at the brochure now! the weatherproof part is very attractive indeed... although i'm not sure about the wide coverage stuffs and what it means... i guess i'll look around the clubsnap neighbourhood for info :)

firefox>reading reviews on rollei... some unnerving feedbacks, but i'm tempted as soon as you mention sharp and rich colours!

Like film camera? how abt something totally manual do it yourself style? This way u will remember how you create that very moment just like draw with a pencil each time and can easily do it again for similar situation.

Female? maybe something small and light yet well build. Better still, something retro with lotsa character? Combine with the 40mm pancake len, you have a cute camera that work even w/o battery in your handbag.

Pentax MX :)
-
MX_si-bl.jpg

-
M40f2.8.jpg

-
Specification
User Review

i've been looking around the net for informations on recommended cameras in the replies on this thread/PM and found out that most of the recommended models with very, very good reviews(and wonderful photographs churned out from them) are...

older than i am!(altho i love their looks)

i like the idea of having manual stuffs, but...

what if it breaks down or something? can i get them nursed back to health? will people even know how to fix it? i have a lot of concern in the maintenance department...

came across selling threads for used cameras from the said recommended brands and models, however i need to make sure that they're not too hard to maintain, before i start clawing the seller of my desired camera for it.

whoelse> what? without batteries? huh? am i missing something? *nublet eyes* the pentax looks sexy though > 3<~~

First of all, welcome to CS!

As for your search of a film camera, can I interest you with the Canon EOS 300V? It's very compact and packed with sufficient features which IMO satisfy any serious amateurs. I won't be surprised that you can find used EOS 300/300V from camera shops which sell used ones (save some $$ for lenses and film).

Btw I like your drawing ... kids will love them!

good lord, i'm now spoiled for choice! i'm still comparing the cameras... it's quite hard to decide when i know near zilch about cameras...

adam goi>thank you, that's a very nice compliment! i wish i can publish a book someday :) (...but not in singapore i guess,unless i'm rowling.. or maybe madonna *grins*)

all in all, which camera is easiest to manage? i mean, in terms of finding the parts, lenses that's compatible with it, and of course... service-able...*coughs*

Hi.

One of the easiest ways is to visit some of these reputable shops, i.e. CP, AP, MS Color and such when they are not too crowded and try out the models which you're interested ... nothing beats the hands-on!

All the best!

umm... but since i know almost nothin bout cameras, i'd be some clueless girl at shops :( are they newbie-friendly? hahaha... i don't think many shops actually recommend people the things that they need... more like they will sorta choke me with products that they want to SELL(yes i've had such experiences... deterred me from visiting shops to ask) salesman-phobia!

assume you have artistic flair since you can draw
(better than most of us)
now with cameras you just draw with light
you can try my some of my cams and if you like one particular cam, then go to the shop and buy that one. ( I am not trying to sell you anything, so don't worry)
for a start you can try P&S (point and shoot) compacts

Hi again.

See it as a 'challenge' lor. If you can go to the shops with some specific models/makes in mind, then you ask to 'test-drive' them. That's why it helps when you go when they are not crowded ... the salespeople will tend to be more patient. As for the salespeople pushing their wares to you, well you can choose to say no right?

The bottomline is you're aware that you'll need to do some homework before you commit so you don't have to get it at the first shop you visit (at times this can be quite tempting though).

Bteer still, if you can get some friends who are familiar with equipment to tag along ...

since your boyfriend and you are both members here, why not get him along to help you out by checking out the Buy and Sell forum?

i'd suggest a 2nd-hand Nikon F65 or a F80 just to get you started. i'd expect these 2 to get you a long way ahead too. plus they're relatively a lot lighter, which is amazing. :)

i can help you out if u want, just don't tell your boyfriend. =X :devil: :bsmilie:
joking joking! detrop don't beat me!

but on a serious note, if you're a student and would rather get a brand new camera with all the warranty and stuff, feel free to contact me by PM, i MIGHT be able to help you out.

ricohflex>how do i exactly try out film cameras though? i'm rather clueless... but yes it'd be nice if you don't mind me fiddling with your cameras!

adam goi>some salesmen are very, very pushy. especially when they see you as a girl that knows nothing and easy to intimidate <_< but yes, i'll survive through that if necessary!

waffle>i'm waiting for my boyfriend to wake up T_T (he will be in boston for four days so i'm not able to contact him) i've been contemplating about photography for a long time, and too bad he's away and asleep in the other half of the globe when i made my decision :eek: after a few hours of fidgeting, i decided i could wait no longer, and here i am in the forums :)

my boyfriend would be the one that's more experienced than me in camera equipments... however, he's into digital photography, so i'm not sure about his experiences with film cameras. i will ask him stuffs when he comes to his senses.

planning to get a camera before august...(leaving singapore this august for further studies)

but with my swollen cheek(side effect from MMR vaccine) i won't be goin out till it goes away. so i'll be doing most of my research at home meanwhile :)

been noting down the models that's recommended and highlighting stuffs that i somewhat fancy, judging from user reviews(and looks :embrass:) but then sometimes the reviews are just so extreme...(either they love it, or they think its rubbish) so i guess you guys were right, hands on would still be the
best option there is...

edit: waffle>i'm not sure about brand new cameras... besides unless the warranty helps me with repairs and replacements in rhode island, i don't think i'll need one... :( but i'm still considering!

Hope I am not gonna add to your confusion by giving you some advice, hehe. Whoelse is right about a old manual SLR as I did bought one 15 years ago and learn everything from it the hard way but my at least my foundation is strong.

Instead of getting a old pentax camera you could get a new Cosina SLR with 28-70mm for $70 at camera that accepts the same pentax mount. ;)

Yin said:
... although i'm not sure about the wide coverage stuffs and what it means...

Check this out: http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fuseaction=digitalcamera&prod_type=tipsnhints#focal

Click on 28mm and 35mm to see the difference.

Yin said:
whoelse> what? without batteries? huh? am i missing something? *nublet eyes* the pentax looks sexy though > 3<~~

Not missing anything - No batteries is correct. Completely manual. As Adam Goi suggested, you might want to bring someone familiar while checking out the equipment.

Yin said:

what if it breaks down or something? can i get them nursed back to health? will people even know how to fix it? i have a lot of concern in the maintenance department...
Most second-hand dealers know how to repair cameras and lenses. You can ask them first before you buy. That may give you an idea.

Yin said:
all in all, which camera is easiest to manage? i mean, in terms of finding the parts, lenses that's compatible with it, and of course... service-able...*coughs*

If you're really looking at those manual cameras (and they're larger than compact cameras), Canon and Nikon seem to have the most second-hand bodies and lenses around. If I remember right, there are second-hand camera shops at Peninsula Plaza (two on the 1st floor (that's one floor up from the ground floor), and two more at The Adelphi diagonally across the road, in the basement - one near the escalators, another near the stairs (proprietor is helpful enough).

... can't figure what got me writing about second-hand cameras... there are brand new manual film cameras as well... ah, well..

... & cameras don't break down that easily.. don't remember ever having a camera body break down on me before (even after pretty rough handling sometimes)... maybe once many years ago (or maybe I stopped using that one because I upgraded... haha)

Good luck!

Yin said:
i've been looking around the net for informations on recommended cameras in the replies on this thread/PM and found out that most of the recommended models with very, very good reviews(and wonderful photographs churned out from them) are...

older than i am!(altho i love their looks)

came across selling threads for used cameras from the said recommended brands and models, however i need to make sure that they're not too hard to maintain, before i start clawing the seller of my desired camera for it.

Qns on maintenance. Manual cameras are easy to fix being mechanical. Most of the problem related to mechanical are age and lack of use + maintenance. That also explains why these camera are usuable even they are older then u :)

Part are plentiful and not difficult to service. Mechnical being mechnical need no battery to c-ock and fire the shutter except meter. Electronics camera are more precise but use electronic to operate the shutter etc. If the electronics is dead, u need to replace the electronics meaning taking old parts from another camera etc. Still electronics have fair bit of mechanical parts too. There are many other good camera, retro classic may not necessary be cheaper then modern camera which have more automation and features.

Basically understanding speed/aperture setting is not difficult. Program mode are mainly priority setting (preset program) like sport -> the camera select fastest shutter available and landscape mode the camera select the smallest aperture automatically etc. You can do these all by yourself ofcos with manual camera. using manual mode is like operating a device where modern camera make u feel like operating a computing device thats all.

I intro MX cos of more modern light meter and uses normal alkaline battery etc. I have this camera as well as many other more cameras both electronics and mechanical.

The answer is... u need more camera haha. Just kidding.

Enjoy. :)

hommie>wow that's a spiffy price! but which of cosina? i've tried googling and it's confusing me @_@

went thru the buy/sell threads and most of em offer so many things that i don't really need i guess... do i really need to buy the body+various lenses+bag+blabla for starters? :( i'll try to pm them to see whether they'd cut a deal if i want just part of the package... hahaha

caras>that's really helpful! thank you~ a camera without battery sounds like gift from god for the ailing environment(i think) i'm trying to dig out information regarding this camera at the moment.

i wouldn't mind second hand as long as it's in good condition and performs well. brand does not matter as well. if a S$20 performs as well as S$200, i guess you'll know which one i'll be lusting at :)

as far as e-research goes, i'm laying my eyes on minolta x-700 and rollei prego 90 for the moment. but i'm not through with the research yet, so there might be more... (the pentax MX is lookin good... altho i'm struggling to find more information on it)

i heard canon and nikon tend to be on the pricey side though? is that true?

another concern... regarding those cameras that you need to roll manually(to take another photograph) although quality of photograph might be orgasmic, what if i need to take successive photos quickly? wouldn't that be a problem? :( unless i have magical rotating fingers or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.