Hi Am New here (looking for a guide!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sputniknor

Sep 12, 2008
Hi,

I'm really new to photography and stuff. I hardly know Anything. And yes, I know such stuff can be read - but I was wondering if I could find a guide here?

Could someone guide me along the basic foundation??

: D

add me on msn! If you're a kind, kind soul

cherrys_realm@hotmail.com

Your best guides are your eyes. Use them to read the forum. You can find
- Tips and tricks from long-term members and experienced photographers
- Guidelines and tutorials (or links to them)h
- Information about workshops
- Recommendations for books and where to get them cheapest
- Reviews of equipment and lots of practical reports
To put it very blunt but honest: if you need somebody to spoon feed you will need to pay him. There is no free lunch. People here are active based for sharing information and contributing time and efforts for the common passion of photography. Your minimum contribution should be your brain to think for yourself.

Welcome on board and happy shooting!

Hi sputniknor

There are lots of material online and offline regarding photography. Sometimes can be overwhelming and confusing. You can pm me if there are any issues you have queries, will try to help within my knowledge.

Ryan.

I'm really new to photography and stuff. I hardly know Anything. And yes, I know such stuff can be read - but I was wondering if I could find a guide here?

you mean, you are looking for a spoonfeeder?

go and read books from the national library, there is a wealth of resources there. use your tax dollars!

go and read books from the national library, there is a wealth of resources there. use your tax dollars!

what he probably meant was not "i'm too lazy to read so give executive summary answers for me" but that instead of book knowledge, he prefers a practical guide. Which is an OK thing i guess. Different people like different ways of learning. I personally prefer books. Some people simply can't learn from books.

TS, if this is the case, one thing you can do is to tag alone with someone for a photo shoot, or BETTER, join a newbie outing. Most people (even those who reply "read a book" or "google") won't mind helping a newbie. I personally don't, if there's a convenient time. I'm not an expert though.

Last edited:

of cos is not looking for spoonfeeder, is always better for ppl to guide around.. Not all ppl can be like u, read all book or get any info u want n understand so easy. If everyone like u that easy to understand from book den all the primary, secondary, pre-u or even U student, no need TEACHERS liao lor... all can study n learn by themselves.

just wonder whether u can learn how to Drive, Swimming etc thought internet/books without people guide n teach?????

just wonder whether u can learn how to Drive, Swimming etc thought internet/books without people guide n teach?????

Yup. Taught myself both. And this was before the Internet. ;)

no need to get worked up :) night86mare is a very helpful guy for newbies who even wrote some newbie guides here.

You can also consider a canon free training if your camera is newly bought from Canon.

of cos is not looking for spoonfeeder, is always better for ppl to guide around.. Not all ppl can be like u, read all book or get any info u want n understand so easy. If everyone like u that easy to understand from book den all the primary, secondary, pre-u or even U student, no need TEACHERS liao lor... all can study n learn by themselves.

There are some things you can learn on your own, but most things are best learned through experience, through trying things out for yourself.

@TS: Sure, I can guide you, but I charge a fee. ;)

of course it is always good to have an outside perspective, but the journey to discovery of photography ALWAYS starts with yourself.

we have all been too mollycoddled by the style of education we're used to - elsewhere, when education is serious, students are supposed to read up before coming to class, so that the teacher can guide, rather than lead you by the nose.

which do you prefer? we always argue that we want the former, but in actuality we are desiring the latter. it is after all, an easier path.

chunliet - if you are not the threadstarter, no reason to get worked up over the thread just because i didn't give you a nice answer that you were looking for in another thread. it's NEVER personal, but if you insist on making it so, believe me, you are more than welcome to.

of course

the first man who learnt to drive and swim, who the hell taught him? a great shining ball of light? :bsmilie:

TS,

If you need practical guide, join a photoshoot or take up a course, it will help a lot.

From there you can know a few shooting buddy and learn from each other.

Do check out the gathering and course section in the forum.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

of course

the first man who learnt to drive and swim, who the hell taught him? a great shining ball of light? :bsmilie:

I don't know about you but I see a rising trend of the "teach less, learn more" approach, where teachers start students out on a learning journey, rather than spoonfeeding them the whole way. Spoonfeeding gives you knowledge; self-discovery gives you understanding and knowledge.

actually, it depends.

traditionally, in Asia culture, its considered rude to question a teacher.

eg, in ultra conservative karate class, students are prohibited in raising questions. total obedience and total conformity is demanded. students are supposed to ve complete faith in the teacher and the art.

actually, its true. without mastering the basic, how can one raise meaningful questions (or create something new)?

of course, modern approach encourages students to challenge and question their teachers.

Primary school examples aren't very valid. Necessity for teachers for one age group for one thing doesn't imply necessity of teachers for a different audience for a totally different thing.

But I don't think an academic discussion of pedagogy is necessary here. The existence of commercial/university photography courses and Canon's own free classes show that human teaching is of Photography has not been made obsolete by books and the Internet. Some people may prefer that and TS may be of that kind.

TS is silent though, may be he found someone to guide him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.