Hi All..Very new to photography

Kings

May 10, 2010
As I am new to photography. I have read some of the guidelines posted but sad to say still confused. If I want to take a far object and wide angle view eg. mountains. which lens can produce sharp images? Need your kind guidance. tks

All lenses can produce sharp images. What you need is a wide angle lens, then learn about aperture.

All lenses can produce sharp images. What you need is a wide angle lens, then learn about aperture.

tks for the tips. are they many types of wide angle lens?
and how to tell the capability of a lens..eg 18-55, 18-200

Welcome to CS:)A kit lens will do if you do not have a UWA lens.

tks for the tips. are they many types of wide angle lens?
and how to tell the capability of a lens..eg 18-55, 18-200

What system are u using?18-55 is kit lens.18-200 is a all-in-one lens(for travelling):)

you can google about the lens review.. some website shows sample images and explanation

What system are u using?18-55 is kit lens.18-200 is a all-in-one lens(for travelling):)

550d What is a kit lens? 18-200 is a wide angle lens? and take far objects?
sorry for the question

Last edited:
you can google about the lens review.. some website shows sample images and explanation

thats a good place to start with.
perhaps i surf around before coming back with my questions, if any
tks

Hi Kings, welcome to the club!

If you want to "take a far object and wide angle view eg. mountains" ... you'd need a telezoom and a wide angle or even ultra wide angle lens.

The Kit lens of 18-55 is sufficient but the limitations is the degree of zoom that you want. Why don't you try shooting with the 18-55 kit lens to understand the possibilities and limitations of the lens first. And oh yeah, a kit lens is the lens that comes with packaged with the camera body from the manufacturer for you to learn and practice your photography skills.

Yes, there are many, many types of wide angles from different manufacturers. The difference between an 18-55 and 18-200 is the distance that the 18-200 can zoom to as compared to the 18-55. As both starts at the wide angle of 18mm, they are similar in that end.

Click on this link to understand the concept of angle of view on lenses. Also, go through the all parts on that link from 1 to the Terminology section to give you a better understanding visually.

HTH.

Cheers!

Just bought my first DSLR camera, Canon 550D. So far...so good...

As I am new to photography. I have read some of the guidelines posted but sad to say still confused. If I want to take a far object and wide angle view eg. mountains. which lens can produce sharp images? Need your kind guidance. tks

Sharp image? Are you thomas123123 ? :D

sorry for the question

Kit lens is the lens that came with your camera.E.g 18-55mm,18-135mm or 18-200mm.

Wide angle lenses refer to 11-16mm,12-24mm or 11-18mm for landscapes.For far objects,you might wanna consider lenses like 70-200mm or fixed focal length lenses like 300mm or 600mm:)

Try googling hyperfocal focusing. It might be a matter of focus instead of lens sharpness after all. Even your kit lens + hyperfocal focusing can be sharper than lens that cost a few thousand when taking landscapes when you close your aperture.

sorry for the question

Have a look at Cambridge in Colour and the tutorials. You need to understand the very basics first before you even think about any different lens. Use your kit lens now, you have paid for it.