Hi all! New to DSLR & choosing between 550D & 60D

ctxx83

Nov 29, 2010
Hi to all the pple here :cool: i am new to the DSLR realm and hope all the good pple here can guide me. I am thinking between 550D and 60D and still couldnt make up my mind. I've try 550D however the camera is too small for my hand, and i prefer the 60D though.
After studying between 550D and 60D, i find that there isnt much difference between this 2 camera and to fork out the exra cash for 60D is quite painful. hee. I've tried to go through some of the post in this forum but seldom i see pple commenting about 60D..
hmmm i really need some help here. i hope you good pple here can help me out. Million thanks in advance :D

there is quite some difference in the sense that the 60d would offer more features.

build-wise, i think the 60d is touted to be plastic, but probably would still have a slightly superior build to the entry level offering from canon.

one important point to note is that the 60d AF is likely to be more accurate (and faster) than 550d. of course, this is subject to tests to determine if this is the case, but that is a consistent trend to separate what is considered as a semi-prosumer dslr from the entry level dslrs.

as you also point out, the size and handling of the camera is likely to be different as well.

you can use this for a side by side comparison:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

looking quickly, same megapixels (meaningless, frankly), same iso range, 60d allows kelvin WB adjustments, faster max shutter speed (1/8000 sec versus 1/4000 sec) , faster fps (5.3 versus 3.7), pentaprism VF versus pentamirror (pentaprism is brighter, larger, better magnification, please google for more comparisons).

Thanks alot night86mare! ;)

By the way, what is kelvin WB adjustment?

Hi to all the pple here :cool: i am new to the DSLR realm and hope all the good pple here can guide me. I am thinking between 550D and 60D and still couldnt make up my mind. I've try 550D however the camera is too small for my hand, and i prefer the 60D though.
After studying between 550D and 60D, i find that there isnt much difference between this 2 camera and to fork out the exra cash for 60D is quite painful. hee. I've tried to go through some of the post in this forum but seldom i see pple commenting about 60D..
hmmm i really need some help here. i hope you good pple here can help me out. Million thanks in advance :D

seems like you have your answer :)
I'm pretty sure this DSLR is not the most expensive item you've purchased. You're likely to have made decisions on more expensive products with less prior analysis :)

I've try 550D however the camera is too small for my hand, and i prefer the 60D though.

If you find the 550D too small for your hands and the 60D more comfortable, then pay the extra $ and get the 60D.

FYI, I was trying to decide between the two as well... and chose the 550D cos I found it more comfortable to handle. I guess my hands are a little on the small side. :p

Last edited:
Other than what night86mare has said, the 60D is a camera with more 'creature comforts' (ie. top lcd; more buttons for faster access). These do translate to faster work around or the functions during a photoshoot. Its up to you to decide if you need these features.

You should get the 60D, but if the pain is too much, then 550D.

and to fork out the exra cash for 60D is quite painful. hee. :D

Hi there, welcome to CS... I am also new to CS and also photography... hope to learn from all... experienced or not... :D

The thing I like about 60D is the navigation dial. The swivel lcd is good if you really need this feature. And it has a top led panel, for those who needs this, as well. Both are good cams. Ergonomics will be important as you will be using this cam often.

Déjà vu hehehe i was asking myself the same thing a couple of months ago before finally settling on the 60D... :)

for me, the 550D was good enough being a beginner. But after experiencing trying to take a really low angle shot with my cousin's 400D, it made me crave the swivel screen of the 60D...hehehe so far it made it easier to experiment with different angle shots and shooting above the crowd... plus easier to take videos...

it feels solid even though it's made of plastic... although i admit i was worried about the build at first... my friend simply said this, "i think even if your camera was made of glass, it still depends on how you handle and care for it"... not completely reassuring considering that more often than not, sh*t happens hehe but enough to set my mind at ease...

all in all, it depends on your budget plus what you foresee yourself doing in the future... you also need to ask yourself, are the extra features that you're getting with the 60D worth the extra cash? are you actually going to benefit from those features and does it make a difference if they're there or not?

good luck! ;)