Hi all, i'm new

Easternmoon

Jun 22, 2010
hi all.. i'm new to this hobby and just join today..

and i'm looking to get a DSLR next month.. my budget is around 1,500 cant decide between Cannon or Sony..

Can anyone advise me?

Welcome to CS:)

For entry level DSLRs you might wanna consider the following:

Canon 1000D/450D/500D/550D
Nikon D3000/5000
Sony A230/330/380
Pentax K-x
Oly E-450

Do a search on these cameras and go down to stores like Courts/Best Denki or Harvey Norman and get a feel of these cameras before getting one:)

After that,dun forget to get accessories like mem card,dry cabinet,cam bag.......

Hi

Welcome to CS :)

There's several cam models like 550D or A230 within ur budget..

Google for reviews online and compare them if they fit ur needs.

Hello...welcome.

You have a very decent budget there. I would recommend that you visit any shop to try the different cameras in your hands. All brands Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax produces very good cameras and each system has their strength and weaknesses. Do try them out to see which is more comfortable to you.

Welcome to CS :)
Take some time to read the reviews of the cameras that you are interested in. Then go down to the shops & feel it in your hands. Zero down to two or three models than decide ;)

Thanks.. i'm considering Sony and cannon because.....

Sony - have durable lens and the systems was from minota (duno if i got the spelling right)

Cannon - have wide range of product..

so far D550 have caught my eye but sony A230 seem abit light weight to me.. i'm doing more research as i have totally no exp on this.. so i hope to get more advice on this..

more of my shoot i will be doing will be more on nature shoot, animals, insects bird and fish.. is there any recommandation to any model that can do that?

Sony - have durable lens and the systems was from minota (duno if i got the spelling right)

so far D550 have caught my eye but sony A230 seem abit light weight to me.. i'm doing more research as i have totally no exp on this.. so i hope to get more advice on this..

more of my shoot i will be doing will be more on nature shoot, animals, insects bird and fish.. is there any recommandation to any model that can do that?

Durable lens??????:confused::confused:

Canon not Cannon

550D not D550

If you are into birding you might wanna get a 55-250 or 70-300 lens which costs about <$400

A230 is a very basic entry model, it shouldn't be compared to the 550D. Specs wise, I believe the 550D should be compared with the A550.

Both cams will be able to suit your needs, you would need to look at the lens and not the camera body for your needs. For birds, a longer range is required and for insects, a Macro lens would be good to have although you can use adapters. Not sure what aspects of nature and animals you would be taking. If you are talking about Safari, a long range lens would be required. If you are talking about animals in the zoo, the long kit lens would be able to do the job.

HTH.

Welcome:)

welcome..

haha cleon, why your reply like copy and paste from other newbie threads one LOL! xD ~
recommending all the entry level cams.

Canon 1000D
Nikon D5000

welcome..

haha cleon, why your reply like copy and paste from other newbie threads one LOL! xD ~
recommending all the entry level cams.

Then what you want me to post?

Entry level DSLRs

Canon 5D Mark II/1D Mark IV
Nikon D3/3s
Sony A850/900
Pentax K-x
Oly E30

Like this ar?

Then what you want me to post?

Entry level DSLRs

Canon 5D Mark II/1D Mark IV
Nikon D3/3s
Sony A850/900
Pentax K-x
Oly E30

Like this ar?

5D Mark 2:think: within 1.5k budget. U sell i buy.:bigeyes::bsmilie:

A230 is a very basic entry model, it shouldn't be compared to the 550D. Specs wise, I believe the 550D should be compared with the A550.

Both cams will be able to suit your needs, you would need to look at the lens and not the camera body for your needs. For birds, a longer range is required and for insects, a Macro lens would be good to have although you can use adapters. Not sure what aspects of nature and animals you would be taking. If you are talking about Safari, a long range lens would be required. If you are talking about animals in the zoo, the long kit lens would be able to do the job.

HTH.

thanks boss.. what lens do u recommend for 550D?

thanks boss.. what lens do u recommend for 550D?

Just stick with the kit lens first. It should be able to cover most situations and see what is lacking before considering getting addtional lenses.

BTW, do note that the image stabiliser is on the lens for Canon hence 3rd party lenses may be more expenisve and you may not be able to get good results from lenses w/o IS. That's why I rather get a camera with build in IS so that all my lenses will enjoy that feature cos I have shaky hands.

Kit lens will do.If you want longer range you might wanna consider the EF-S 55-250:)

thanks.. how about mirco shot? what lense do you recommend?

btw is dry box a must to buy for dslr and the len?

thanks.. how about mirco shot? what lense do you recommend?

btw is dry box a must to buy for dslr and the len?
Canon itself have a few macro lenses. You may want to check out in the price list section & pick your poison :devil:
As for the dry cab, yes, its a must in our very humid weather ;)