Hi all Finally saved up , Which SLR shld i get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shien

Dec 20, 2003
Serangoon
greetings. new member here. finally saved up enough and looking to get my first SLR now. Torn between a Canon EOS500N and a EOS66 or Eos88 or EOS rebel X . Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. hope to be an active part in your community

ever think of 1v? :D

maybe you could tell us ur budget or how much you saved. so we can help u by giving u a better range of cameras? :p

If you are looking for a Canon SLR, EOS 30 is a good choice. You may also want to wait for the new EOS 30v. They should cost about $700

er budget around 4-500 . looking for 2nd hand camera as i have a lot of lenses from my grandfather mainly interested in body. looking for a prosumer or above class. possible with my budget? doesnt have to be canon any recommendations will do thanks

Shien said:
er budget around 4-500 . looking for 2nd hand camera as i have a lot of lenses from my grandfather mainly interested in body. looking for a prosumer or above class. possible with my budget? doesnt have to be canon any recommendations will do thanks

The EOS33 is a pretty good choice for your budget. It's the same as an EOS30, except without eye control.

Last I asked, it was going for $450 w/GST @ MS Color.

Shien said:

What sort of lenses are they? If they are old Canon FD mount manual lenses, you will have no luck mounting them on Canon EOS bodies without sourcing for an adaptor.

Other brand alternatives include the Nikon F80, or the Minolta Dynax 5 or 7

I second the EOS33. It is in the prosumer range. Like what imaginary number has said, it is equivalent to the EOS30 except that it doesn't come with the absolutely useless eye control focusing.

You can call up MS Colour for a quotation. My friend had a good deal from them a few months back.

thanks for the info. is the dynax 5 the dynax 505si?

he is a collector mostly but takes a lot of photos . think hes using a fujica st801 . pretty old camera

eos 30 /f80 / dynax 5....all ok one.

also consider what r the lenses u will predominatly need 2 use..the flash system also...

if u want to dig more, then maybe take soem time to study the history of canon/nikon/minolta...and see which side u r one..which company's style of doing things appeals to u more

on a fair note, if u r into manual, then nikon is a good bet

unless u want RF/MF...maybe thats a diff story liaoz =)

clive said:
eos 30 /f80 / dynax 5....all ok one.

if u want to dig more, then maybe take soem time to study the history of canon/nikon/minolta...and see which side u r one..which company's style of doing things appeals to u more

Ya...very true...like myself i chose Nikon (becos of my lecturer's recommendation) , so started with a F55, F75 till now a F80 and end up hooked on it, investing more n more $$ into the system and never thought of changing to another brand... :D

however thats my own preferences...maybe you have other favourites in mind already...

Shien said:
he is a collector mostly but takes a lot of photos . think hes using a fujica st801 . pretty old camera

i'm not familiar with the fujica st801 but a quick search on the web shows that it uses screw mount lenses, which wouldn't be compatible with modern AF bodies, so you are effectively starting from scratch.

Shien said:
thanks for the info. is the dynax 5 the dynax 505si?

For about $450 you can get a Dynax 60 with Lenses, I think, try Nelison at Konota .....

Dynax 60 is a pretty good camera, excellent metering.

Classified as Mid-class by Photozone, a class above Base class such as 500si or Dynax 5 ...

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/minoltacamera.htm

If u plan to expand your system and get serious in photography, I would suggest u choose only Nikon or Canon. Not saying that Minolta are inferior, just that not so popular and you will have hard time finding 2nd hand items/lens/accessories for it. Buying new isn't cheap.

With S$400 budget, I suggest u look in the 2nd hand market. You must take into consideration that u need some spare cash for a lens after u got a body.

Photography is an EXPENSIVE hobby...

Shien said:

I once own a F80. It is a great camera to hold and delivers good results. Perhaps your budget can get u a 2nd hand model.
If your grandfather have lots of lenses, you gotta make sure those lenses are compatible to whatever camera body you finally get.

justarius said:
What sort of lenses are they? If they are old Canon FD mount manual lenses, you will have no luck mounting them on Canon EOS bodies without sourcing for an adaptor.

Hi Shien, not to insult your intelligence, but did you catch justarius' question?

The bodies you are asking about are EF mount bodies; if your grandfather's lenses are pre-1986 Canons, they would be FD mounts. Original FD-EOS convertors are rare and expensive, region of US$400, even if you can find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.