Hey'all~ Need Help Getting 1st CAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabz87

Jan 30, 2008
SG
Hey everyone! Virgin post! lol. A friend recommended me this site saying it's very infomative for a newbie/amateur photographer.

Anyways, long story shot, I'm interested in getting a prosumer cam. However I'm kinda on a very tight budget, max cap-ed @ $350 only. Hoping you guys/gals around here can help me out? Just an entry lvl cam will do. No need any fanciful or pattern pattern a lot kind, lol.

Any suggestions of makes/models with reason why would be very useful. Many thanks in advance! ;)

quite hard to get a prosumer camera with a budget of 350...
either you up the budget or look for a second hand one....

If you look in the Buy and Sell section, I think you could get a second hand Panasonic FZ7 for $350/-. :) It might even still be under warranty if you're lucky.

if you wanna get first hand.. the fuji s5800 should probably be at your budget..

the fuji has a small sensor and no superccd technology (i.e. bad at high ISO).. but the colour reproduction and exposure metering is generally quite good.. it's also the smaller sized prosumer around if you fancy lightweight and small footprint..

alternatively.. there should be a few "higher end" models selling second hand.. check out the buy and sell section and google.. =)

thanks for the replies guys!

did a search on the buy/sell forums..seems like a lot of all over my budget :(

anyways..thinking of gettin fuijifilm's S5800 or 5700..any comments on that? or maybe a canon powershot a720 IS?

just buy a canon300D or save up longer to get a decent cam.

just buy a canon300D or save up longer to get a decent cam.

there cam still can find meh? correct me if i'm wrong buy i saw dpreview saying it's a 2003 cam..saw the peeps selling in this forums over my budget for that particular cam..looks nice though the specs..except the MP..lol..;p

and ya..what do i have to look for if i were to get a 2nd hand cam?

the megapixel is a non-issue.

things to look out for include shutter count, picture output, lcd condition, read/write speed, batt conditions... etc...
basic electronics checking la...

suggest that with that budget, either buy a film camera and learn the basics or save up for a prosumer or buy a pns and enjoy shooting.

ok..cool~ think i'm gonna get myself a 1st hand fuijifilm s5700..play around with it 1st..get used to the basics..then when i wanna upgrade..can use that as a family cam or pass it on to my gf..haha..thanks for the help!

just got my cam! brand new s5700 @ $320..includes bag n 2GB card~
wanna share one of my 1st newbie pics taken by my new cam.

2231999439_e724169732.jpg

another pic. used fastest shutter speed n f 3.6 with flash. feel free to leave comments! :)

2232440119_402964f502_b.jpg

Erm... Perhaps you can try to explain what is the subject or theme of the photo?

I guess maybe posting at other section would get more attention.

Cheers :)

haha..no theme..just 1st few shots anyhow shot stuffs to try out the cam..lol

hi fabz87 - perhaps you might want to browse around clubsnap more, there is some sort of unwritten protocol with regards to posting here, like it or not

if you wish to get more constructive comments on your pictures, perhaps you could consider posting them up in the various sections appropriately, i.e. if it is of a cat, then world of nature or street/candid, if it is a landscape, then landscapes/city.. if unsure, just dump it into street/candid all the time. if you're looking for specific critique for a particular photo, the critique corner is good.

welcome to the world of photography, i trust you will enjoy, and keep posting and looking at pictures. cheers. as a matter of fact, if you're looking to improve in terms of photography, there are certain concepts with regards to how to arrange elements and aspects within your photograph, this is called composition, and there are many books/websites available (google for internet please, don't ask where where where, just search "photography composition" in google and you should get some immediately).

have fun with your camera, explore the possibilities that you can do with it. ;)

alright! thanks you guys for all the advise! lookin 4ward to improving my skills too! cheers!

i used S5700 b4
Very good price for prosumer camera!

The downside is the shutter speed, high noise at iso400, very obvious purple fringing

Status
Not open for further replies.