Heya! Where to get Dry Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemystery

Mar 31, 2008
Hi Guys, wonder if this is the right place to post.

Anyway, I am new to photography.

Got myself a Nikon D60 recently.

Having an exciting time researching and snapping photos,

Realised there are SOO many aspects and effort put in just to take a good photo.

Before I digress and blabber on,

Was wondering if someone could recommend a good dry box,

And where I could get it from?

I really want to keep my DSLR in good condition for a LONG time...Without fungus growing on my lens or anything.

Coz I spend ALOT of my savings on it. Might not seem alot to you, but it is to me:)

In the mean time, is it possible for me to keep it in an empty drawer?

Would placing "Thirsty Hippo" in there help reduce e moisture level...Coz these few days have been rather humid, rain and all...

Well, hope to learn more from you guys...Will be happy if you guys could recommend other ways of caring for your camera.

Thanks for taking your time!!! :)

If you stay somewhere in the north, i would suggest getting from MS Color at AMK central. Price is abt $30 for one which can store about 1 body plus 3-4 lenses..i think. However, the drawback with dry boxes is that you have to keep changing the silica gel in the box periodically.

If you can afford it, get a dry cabinet, 30L is going for about $109 at MS Color too. better humidity control, and less hassle. it'll be worth the investment..

If you stay somewhere in the north, i would suggest getting from MS Color at AMK central. Price is abt $30 for one which can store about 1 body plus 3-4 lenses..i think. However, the drawback with dry boxes is that you have to keep changing the silica gel in the box periodically.

If you can afford it, get a dry cabinet, 30L is going for about $109 at MS Color too. better humidity control, and less hassle. it'll be worth the investment..

Heya. Thanks for replying.:p Yeah, I was reading e other threads about the hassle with dry boxes, n changing e silica gel. Any idea how often i must change e silica?

Will "Thirsty Hippo" make do for e time being?

Because I'll have to save up...haha. I'm not that well to do.

Anyway, good thing. I stay at Bishan. Will consider a cabinet, and pop by that shop sometime soon. You have the adress? or I'll just google it...

there's an outlet in amk hub, #02-24.. or you can go to the one in amk central, next to s-11, blk 711, amk central ave 8, #01-3501C (tel. 64576380)

you can call up to check out the range of dryboxes/cabs and their prices. hope this helps!

GREAT!!! Thanks...The peeps here sure are helpful. haha.:D

The topic is a permanent one, searching the forum for 'drybox' reveals 195 threads. I'm sure you'll find the answers to your question there - and much more information.
Also, the location of reputable shops can be found in the Canon equipment section: Canon Photo Camera Lenses Price Guide

Got mine at Carrefour. Digi Cabi brand at slightly over $100 for a 30L one. Only thing is that it takes quite some time for the RH to reflect the adjustment made. As recommended, I'm trying to achieve between 45 to 55.

set the dial at about 8-9 o'clock position to get that reading

set the dial at about 8-9 o'clock position to get that reading

Think I should be around there already...only after 4 days of playing with the knot and waiting... :confused:

Hi,

I am new to the forum too. Using a D60. I got my dry cabinet from Rodex. you can find the e-store here - www.rodex.com/estore. The brand of dry-cabi normally not sold on the open market here. Its Value brand, 68L.

If you have a budget, the Digi cabi at carrefour not bad too. :)

Hi,

I am new to the forum too. Using a D60. I got my dry cabinet from Rodex. you can find the e-store here - www.rodex.com/estore. The brand of dry-cabi normally not sold on the open market here. Its Value brand, 68L.

If you have a budget, the Digi cabi at carrefour not bad too. :)

Hi. Great to know a fellow D60 user..Thanks. I'll consider the one at carrefour. hmm, 68L rodex alittle too much space fr me...Perhaps in the future, when I save up for more lenses to fill the dry cabinet with. Currently, just using kit lens...No $$$ :sweat:

Think I should be around there already...only after 4 days of playing with the knot and waiting... :confused:

I have the Digi Cabinet 50l, the reading is about 45-47% after 12h (ok, haven't checked in between). The dial is at about 3 o'clock in the section marked red.

What is this 45-47% about? can enlighten me a bit? Sorry for being noob.:cool: Does digi-cabi 50L come with local warranty? One fella at CP told last weekend, digi-cabi doesn't come with local warranty and instead he recommend to me Akarui Digi.

the position of the dial will differ if the capacity of the drycab is different.. the 9 o'clock position is for a 30L cab...

these percentages refer to the relative humidity, i.e. percentage of moisture in the air, in the cabinet. usual recommendation is to have it around 45-55% for your electronics/lenses.. too dry and your equipment might be damaged.

Anyone have any info about the Akarui Digi?

Does it come with digital controls? or issit the dial and guess method?

What is this 45-47% about? can enlighten me a bit? Sorry for being noob.:cool: Does digi-cabi 50L come with local warranty? One fella at CP told last weekend, digi-cabi doesn't come with local warranty and instead he recommend to me Akarui Digi.

This rather sounds like the SLS method of bringing buyers attraction to something more expensive. :nono:
Just checked the warranty card of the Digi Cabi AD-050: 5 years local warranty. The warranty card states "Digihub Singapore Pte Ltd" in 50 Tagore Lane.
The 45% is the Relative Humidity - you can read this as kind of saturation of the air with water, related to the current temperature. That's why the reading has the RH value and the temperature.
The Digi Cabi system is quite simple: the dial just regulates how much the drying unit works. There is not feedback or automatic regulation connected to the reading at the front door. You just check the reading and adjust the dial accordingly. This should be pretty sufficient for camera equipment. After a few days you'll know how to adjust the dial.

This rather sounds like the SLS method of bringing buyers attraction to something more expensive. :nono:
Just checked the warranty card of the Digi Cabi AD-050: 5 years local warranty. The warranty card states "Digihub Singapore Pte Ltd" in 50 Tagore Lane.
The 45% is the Relative Humidity - you can read this as kind of saturation of the air with water, related to the current temperature. That's why the reading has the RH value and the temperature.
The Digi Cabi system is quite simple: the dial just regulates how much the drying unit works. There is not feedback or automatic regulation connected to the reading at the front door. You just check the reading and adjust the dial accordingly. This should be pretty sufficient for camera equipment. After a few days you'll know how to adjust the dial.

Thank you very much for your info. :thumbsup: Glad to have people like you on this board.

If you are interested i am letting go my Digi Cabi drybox that was bought at TK Photo yesterday (30L). Reason for selling - my bro bought another same unit yesterday as well.
Come with reciept (03/04/08), unfilled warranty and box etc.......

Interested ppl PM me.

Thanks

Heyaa Guys!!! I've just gotten my dry box. Having second thoughts now, after reading how poisonous and carcinogenic the blue silica is. I followed the instructions and microwaved e silica pack (which was already pink), n there was water vapour and smoke coming out...:eek:

Is that normal?...and it was wet....

Are the fumes harmful to health??? carcinogenic??? I wouldn't want to save money at the expense of me or my family's health...:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.