Hey! You Are A Taxi Driver, You Should Know What!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was once early in the morning when I board a cab heading to some HDB in Jurong West which I am unfamiliar with. So upon boarding the cab, I told the cab driver.. "Uncle, Jurong West Street XX..

The cab happily drove off and before he exit PIE, I remind him the location again but this time with the Block Number.

"Uncle, Jurong West Street XX, block XXX" and guess what his reply :

"Aiya, don't tell me the block number la"..

Huh? I was like, what the hell.. Jurong West Street XX so big, don't tell you Block no, tell you what, unit number is it? what the $*#&$#*^.

Ha ha ha maybe he did want to know both. Door service ma. GEMS and all going around you know ;)

They always ask me which way i wanna go by.
I feel like telling them "the cheapest way pls"...

Actually, it is quite difficult to know which is the cheapest way, according to logic, the shortest route may not be the fastest route, the fastest route may not be the shortest route.

There are several factors involved, this particular route may be the shortest, but you may get jam along the way for 1/2 an hour or more before reaching your destination. On another, the longer route may actually be faster because it may be like kind of free flow traffic along the way.

But according to LTA regulation, taxi drivers are to go by the shortest and most direct route, unless the passenger chose to travel by other route which may be longer regardless whatever the reason is, but in this case, the passenger must bear his/her responsibility if traffic congestion is encounter.

It is not easy to predict traffic congestion, sometimes passenger don't even believe the driver.

I've once taken a cab which the driver honestly tell me that he's a new driver and hence not very sure with the routes. Luckily I'm not a road idiot and I guide him to my destination.

Then there was once, I took cab with my friends back home (each to diff location). One of my friends actually told the cab driver her block and unit number. hahaha. we had a good laugh in the cab.

Got once the cab driver just use the GPS for show only. Cos he wasn't referring to it. hahah. my mind just gave the -_-" look when i reach my destination.

One thing I noticed about S'porean taxi drivers: They die-die also won't refer to the street directory. Seriously, when was the last time you saw a taxi driver dunno how to get where you want to, and then pulled out the street directory?

I've taken 2 such cabs. They were honest to admit they just got their cab license and not entirely familiar with singapore roads. 1 of them I can direct him as I know the place, the other destination i just let him figure out. :thumbsup: As long as I reach my destination safely why bother if he refers to the st dir or not? :dunno:

Not like he gets paid less for using it or more if not using it.

I saw now comfort cabs got GPS+maps already le...
I see no harm directing them la... some places super ulu eg. ARmy camps...
Usu i will tell them roughly where the place is then when near there, direct them to the exact location.
Taxi drivers are not know-it-all... ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.