Hey guys I nd some advice..

kenzefizz

Sep 4, 2011
Guys. I bought myself D7000 for close to a month.. Which I found something tt I wan..

- I really like the blur effect on the background which so I came across this lens (50mm 1.4 / 1.8 "D / G") <- which is better for money?
- I might take a few wide angle shots.. "landscape, group photo" will kit lens 18-105 wrk for me or should I sell away the kit lens and upgrade to 35mm?

Thx in adv..

I would think u r refering to 35mm 1.8 prime?
18-105mm is a good walkabout zoom which sometimes the 35mm alone is not able to suffice.
However prime qualities are superb, probably u can consider saving up another $300 to get the prime as complementary lens.

You can sell away your kit lens and try this combination.

Get a:
1) Nikkor AF-S 10-24 for ultra wide landscape shots/group photo on 24mm end
2) Nikkor AF-S 40mm DX macro value for $$ with more subject distance to play around
3) Nikkor AF-D 85mm F1.8 for real and good "Blur" background effect

Lastly to answer your question on 50mm F1.4/1.8 D or G, all the 4 lenses are good to produce better quality images then kit lens. depends on your budget but the new nikon AF-S 40mm F2.8 macro DX is a better choice as it offers a greater working subject distance as compared to the 50mm lenses.

The 50mm f/1.4G is definitely a better choice due to its 9 rounded blades which create smoother bokeh than the others.
Do you want wide angle lens ? Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is the best ! Plus Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, you can shoot both landscape or group photo.

That 3 lenses are good combo indeed ;)

Keep your Kit lens, then get the 50mm f/1.8. Use it for portrait shots first. Make sure that is really what you want. It could be just a moment of impulse that you think the blur effect (know as bokeh) is really what you want to do most of the time in photography. It could jolly well that you end up like sceneries more and you will love to have a UWA lens instead. Don't change your gears overnight. At the wide end, I see 18mm is still pretty useful for DX.

Guys. I bought myself D7000 for close to a month.. Which I found something tt I wan..

- I really like the blur effect on the background which so I came across this lens (50mm 1.4 / 1.8 "D / G") <- which is better for money?
- I might take a few wide angle shots.. "landscape, group photo" will kit lens 18-105 wrk for me or should I sell away the kit lens and upgrade to 35mm?

Thx in adv..

I think the 50mm f1.8G is not too bad compared to the 1.4G. If you have the dough, just go for the 1.4G and don't look back.

35mm f1.8G is a good lens too but you will not get the same bokeh as the 50mm simply due to the focal length.

For crop, a 35mm might give you better compositional freedom in restricted space constraints. I stopped (almost) using the 50 f1.8D when I got the 35mm f1.8G. But I think the 50mm f1.8D will be very functional on a FX camera.

Thx for the fast reply..! :)

1. I think I would nd to chk out the 50mm F1.8G & F1.4G pricing "if price dun jump tt far of cos I would go for F1.4G. "for portrait & bokeh pics" Hehe

2. As for wat I mention above 35mm I'm nt sure if it's prime lens.. But my point is if kit lens is better for all yrs use?? or 35mm or lens which bros recommend above? Which can use for most shoot out n indoor.. "for landscape, group photo etc.."

I'm trying to keep myself simple with the lesser kit / setup as possible..
If kit lens is better in tt case I would nt spend any extra cash on more lens.. :)

Last edited:

1. I think I would nd to chk out the 50mm F1.8G & F1.4G pricing "if price dun jump tt far of cos I would go for F1.4G. "for portrait & bokeh pics" Hehe

2. As for wat I mention above 35mm I'm nt sure if it's prime lens.. But my point is if kit lens is better for all yrs use?? or 35mm or lens which bros recommend above? Which can use for most shoot out n indoor.. "for landscape, group photo etc.."

If kit lens is better in tt case I would nt spend any extra cash on more lens.. :)

I don't think there is any lens that will suit all needs.

Depends on your usage.

Any lens with a single focal length are fixed (prime) lens (ie. 24, 35, 50, 85, 105, 135, 180, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 so on and so forth). They usually allow you shallower DOF and so called bokeh then when you shoot with the kit lens. However, they limit you to needing to walk around to compose your pictures instead of just twisting your left hand.

As I say, a 50mm is very restricted on a crop sensor You should try both in a store and check it out. Also, check your pictures to see whichever focal length you usually shoot at. Another way is to twist your kit lens to 35mm, 50mm and fix it there. Go out and shoot and decide which is the better focal length that works for you.

kenzefizz said:

If you already find yourself to like shallow DOF shots with good bokeh, your setup will not be simple as you wished lo.
It's time to BBB!

kenzefizz said:

Thx in adv..

Hi kensefizz, as in most decisions in life, it's always a compromise between quality, price, convenience, weight, performance, etc.
You will need a general purpose kit lens for 'general purpose' shooting where convenience is higher priority than absolute image quality, creativity. Of course, even the kit lens can be used creatively.
Then there are 'special purpose' lenses. Now this will depend on your area of interest. Special purpose lenses are very good for their intended purposes but will have the limitations as well.
So my suggestion to you is to keep your kit lens, and just buy a 50mm/1.8 or 35mm/1.8 depends on whether you shoot full length or tighter people shots. These lenses are very good value for money while delivering very high quality images with good bokeh.
I shoot FX so I have the 50mm.
Fred

Hi kensefizz, welcome to cs =)

For me, 18-105 is a good to have day shoot lens =)

and when it comes to night i will change to either 50mm or 35mm prime.

so far no problem =)

Yep me too the 16 - 105 seems enough =)
Got myself a Nikkor AF-s 50mm 1.8G, feels good =D

facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2476063267075.2141257.1417283768&l=d6eae15d13&type=1
its public =D
have a look

Cheers =D

look up on digitalrev comparison on 50mm 1.4g vs the 1.8g.

Kai said 1.8g is sharper but the bokeh is definitely better on 1.4g

1.8g have aspherical element while 1.8g have none. i think price is roughly 500 difference tho.

I find 1.8g more value for money.

Yep me too the 16 - 105 seems enough =)
Got myself a Nikkor AF-s 50mm 1.8G, feels good =D

facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2476063267075.2141257.1417283768&l=d6eae15d13&type=1
its public =D
have a look

Cheers =D

haha 18-105 is good in the day =x (to me) haha...

Thx in adv..

My guess is you're new.

Go for the 50 1.8d. and Stick with your 18-105. Learn these lens first, your answers will come to you when you need to upgrade.

My guess is you're new.

Go for the 50 1.8d. and Stick with your 18-105. Learn these lens first, your answers will come to you when you need to upgrade.

i have these two lenses only on my D90 and they do the job for me.

like what many have mentioned (most speaking through experience), you need to be aware of what you want before getting gears on the fly. the 18-105 is a decent all-rounder, maybe you'll want it a bit wider, but how often would that be?

i'm using the 50mm now as a walk about. it's light, fast and decently sharp. plus it doesn't make the DSLR look so bulky, and when i feel like shooting a bit of street, it does not look as intimidating as the bigger lenses.

to each his own. so know what you want. if in doubt, borrow or rent the focal length of your choice.

Use Yr trusty 18-105 and zoom to 35mm and shoot then compare with 50mm see which focal u prefer.

I believe 18-105 with 35mm f1.8 are very good combo for anyone who like to travel.

This setup 18-105 and 50mm 1.8 is good enough, all you need is the 55-200 mm and cheap UWA lense and you are all set! less cost, more than acceptable image quality.

always buy the 1st one that you need then use it until you master it... then next move to another lens.

Last edited:
I will suggest to keep the kit lens and get a 35mm f1.8 prime.

35mm f1.8 is slightly more expensive than 50mm f1.8 but it is more versatile. There are people who just ventured into photography, bought the 50mm f1.8 lens (because it's inexpensive) and realized the difficulties in using the lens. Likely they turn to 35mm or wider primes.