Hey Guys. Help!!! Spotted a dust bunny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemystery

Mar 31, 2008
Heya Guys...Newbie here

I discovered a significant dust bunny in my photos while using my Nikon D60!!! Very Ironic I know, especially with the DUST CONTROL feature, image sensor cleaning everytime I start up and shut down.:eek:

Anyway, I did the standard procedure. Mirror locked up, used e blower to try to blow the dust particle off...However, to no avail. It just stayed there!!!

I'm starting to wonder if its really a dust particle or something else?

And how the hell did e dust particle get there, when I rarely change lenses?

Or is it e faulty body I got.

Oh no...I'm geting paranoid!

I'm so tempted to use e brush to flick whatever it is off e sensor...but e manual advised against it...Fear I'll scratch e lense, cause e brush is too coarse I guess?

:p

Any suggestions from the pros out there will be highly appreciated...:)

Thanks for taking the time...:D

Ah, you sound like you just spotted Mas Selamat :p Don't worry. A couple of them won't do much harm but if you are paranoid, just let the service centre take care of it. U said that you rarely change lens, this means you did change lenses before ... and that might be the cause. I send my cam in for cleaning maybe once every couple of years (or longer) ... a speck of dust here and there won't kill :p Do not try using brush ... or you might end up sending your sensor to hell.

as long as your body and lens are not air tight will have dust..

don't worry about it, part and parcel of having a dslr, and while your sensor is tougher than always touted by cleaning product companies, heavy handling is not recommended

firstly you can learn how to do it yourself, blowing aside, there is also artic butterfly (a bit expensive though), a cleaning brush which uses static electricity concept to remove stubborn dust. but here it sounds as if it is welded dust - highly common in singapore due to high humidity. this is due to the dust getting moisture and therefore "sticking" to your sensor.. you need WET cleaning methods to get rid of it, i.e. visible dust sensor solution and sensor swabs/pecpads

the newbies article section has a thread by azure detailing what all these are, go and read up, if you want to try, go and try, best if you get people who have done it before to guide you if you are not confident. if even after reading you do not want to take the risk (though i think it is actually not a risk unless you are butterfingers).. then send it into nikon for cleaning.. :)

The dust spot wouldn't show up unless you are shooting at F11 or more which in my case quite seldom. Just like you, I spotted dust bunnies and went to the CSC to get it clean the next day. However, some spots still remains so now I have learnt to live with it as it does not show in my daily pics.

Make a trip to Nikon service centre tomorrow or soonest. They will clean your sensor on the spot. Takes about 1/2 hour. If your camera is under warranty, then its FOC. No need to agro over it.

..:)

Ah, you sound like you just spotted Mas Selamat :p Don't worry. A couple of them won't do much harm but if you are paranoid, just let the service centre take care of it. U said that you rarely change lens, this means you did change lenses before ... and that might be the cause. I send my cam in for cleaning maybe once every couple of years (or longer) ... a speck of dust here and there won't kill :p Do not try using brush ... or you might end up sending your sensor to hell.

LOL. It does feel like that! Imagine u blow up your savings for a DSLR, take nice nice photo, n then discovered got one dot there...Will be damn bui song:(...Especially when it boasts about dust control...N lo and behold, there's dust!!!

Any idea how long e Nikon service centre will take to clean it?

And and, There's a minute dead pixel on the LCD screen. Should I do anything about it? Not very obvious, unless you squint. But you'll feel damn bui song knowing its there, n knowing its not "perfect"?

wow. e replies came in so fast... thanks you... hmm, it seems to turn up at higher ISOs?

should only turn up at SMALL APERTURES

because of depth of field factor

I see. Thanks fr enlightening me :).

Btw, how do you define small or large...mine max is like F3.5, min F36

a large aperture value is smthing like f1.4-f2.8

a small aperture value is smthing like f8-f16

just imagine a tap as your aperture, and water as your light.

the larger the fstop number, the smaller the aperture :)

Yup, That I know:D

Just wanted to know the range to be considered small or large.

It all depends on the lens really, isn't it?

Yup, That I know:D

Just wanted to know the range to be considered small or large.

It all depends on the lens really, isn't it?

anything above f/11 is small, you should start seeing dust already, especially when shooting clear skies

anything below f/6.7 or so (there is less consensus here)

but usually when one checks for dust, one uses at least f/22 and smaller to ensure that the dust shows up clearly :dunno:

Sigh. My house too dusty for my own good. haha. I see dust floating everywhere. I'd rather do the cleaning of my DSLR outside.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.