Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeWithoutCrutches

May 27, 2009
Hey Guys

I shot a picture at 3200 iso but the noise was like crazy

but it was +1 exposure when i took it

Now when i reduce it in DPP by 1 stop will it have the same amount of noise

Like when i first take a 1600 iso picture (Let say all setting are the same) ?

Should i have just stick with 1600 iso or is 3200 ok and i just need to reduce the exposure in DPP

Last edited:
Heya,

Which camera are you using? For some cameras, the "H" ISO is merely an in camera boost of 1 stop when you shoot ISO1600. That could explain why the noise level is the same.

But if you expose for it correctly, noise should be manageable, and try running noise ninja or some noise removal software, and you should be good to go. =)

This shot was taken at ISO 3200, and ran thru Noise Ninja..

Hope this helps!

haha Thank You Oh cool Its very clean haha Nice Picture xD

Gives me hope that i can buy a 30/40D and not worry about noise

Hi LifeWithoutCrutches

DPP is just post processing, the most important factor is still the settings when u took the picture.

As to which ISO to use will depend on the interplay of exposure and the scene u r taking.

If relatively static scenes u can try lower ISO ( which will turn out cleaner / less noise ) stabilised on a tripod with longer shutter speeds if possible.

Of course there will be really times when u need that high ISO shot to get the pic, and post processing wise , judicious use of noise reduction softwares can assist a little while balancing it with a loss of details

Ryan

Erm ok wait i'm confused ahaha

If my setting is at 3200 + 1 exposure will the noise = 1600 +0 exposure ( noise )

After DPP?

If my setting is at 3200 + 1 exposure will the noise = 1600 +0 exposure ( noise )

After DPP?

No.

And why the heck are you shooting at ISO 3200?

No.

And why the heck are you shooting at ISO 3200?
if the glass is not fast enought, there are times where iso 3200, even 6400 comes in real handy to freeze action with fast shutter speeds.

and to answer the Ts's question, "If my setting is at 3200 + 1 exposure will the noise = 1600 +0 exposure ( noise )" no, its not like that, there will be alot of variables that determine the amount of noise, like the lighting in the scene you are shooting. Scenes with more shadow areas will result in more noise compared to a scene which has better lighting shot with the same ISO setting.

if the glass is not fast enought, there are times where iso 3200, even 6400 comes in real handy to freeze action with fast shutter speeds.

Even for F1 i never went above ISO 800... :dunno:

ha i was overseas when the night race took place, but i understand that the floodlights were very bright? and as i mentioned, use of iso also depends how fast the glass u are using.

ERm ok hmmmmm icic wait i'm confused again

Let say i took the picture with the same lightings and setting ( ONLY Iso change to 1600 )
Will it be the same amount of noise as a 3200 Iso + 1 exposure ( i go DPP and Reduce it to 1600 ) will it have the same amount of Noise or will there be any Drop in my Image Quality ...??

Last edited:
Short answer is no. Since in camera processing would be different from software processing, and the results would differ. Which is better (in terms of noise).. it's difficult to say.

While there are other possibilities, let's assume that the shutter speed and Aperture setting is identical ( Using same shutter & aperture setting, a shot at ISO 3200 is 1 stop more than at ISO 1600 ).

Since the amount of light that enters the camera is the same, the one at ISO 3200 will have more noise since there is higher amplification or gain.

Comparing the 2 pictures with the same amount of light falling on the sensor, the one at ISO 3200 would have to go thru an additional step of processing, so probably the picture quality would be lower than the one w/o any additional processing (for JPEGs).

After DPP?

oh ok i understand thank you for explaining

Status
Not open for further replies.