Heron Hunting Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

szekiat

Jan 19, 2002
London
Visit site
Anyone keen to go heron hunting? I've got a few locations in mind, Sungei Buloh, Yishun Dam, Marina and West Coast Park being some of them. Anyone who has other locations pls fill me in! Time and place to be confirmed upon confirmation of participants!

Just finished a low tide shoot at yishun dam yesterday. Herons galore. However, be warned! be prepared to get dirty and sun burned. I'll be going there again soon. Kayaro, give me a call at 90698948. We can arrange to meet up.

szekiat said:
Just finished a low tide shoot at yishun dam yesterday. Herons galore. However, be warned! be prepared to get dirty and sun burned. I'll be going there again soon. Kayaro, give me a call at 90698948. We can arrange to meet up.
You should also try the Lower Seletar Reservoir on the sea-facing side.

At low tides, there is a group of Herons (could be Great Blue Herons) congregrating on the right at the sort of boat-parking area. Counted about 7-8 of them. The area is shaded from the road by a row of trees, so good opportunity to sneak up and snipe from behind the trees.

thats the yishun dam area daren. Great spot, but very inaccessible. Lots of climbing to be done and the ground is rather soft. Locals have also warned of cobras.

Darren said:
You should also try the Lower Seletar Reservoir on the sea-facing side.

At low tides, there is a group of Herons (could be Great Blue Herons) congregrating on the right at the sort of boat-parking area. Counted about 7-8 of them. The area is shaded from the road by a row of trees, so good opportunity to sneak up and snipe from behind the trees.
Those are Grey Herons (Ardea cinerea), the local variants of the Great Blue Herons found in America. At one time some months back there were a lot of them around the area, prolly around 30 or 40, however there seems to be much less this time round. From what I heard some of them were shot because that particular area is in close proximity to an air strip, the presence of the birds could pose a threat to safety of aircraft approaching or taking off. Also that area might be redeveloped soon so the herons may not be around for much longer.

Garion said:
... From what I heard some of them were shot because that particular area is in close proximity to an air strip, the presence of the birds could pose a threat to safety of aircraft approaching or taking off. Also that area might be redeveloped soon so the herons may not be around for much longer.

That is so sad. :cry:

Sad because if civilization cannot appreciate nature, one day, our children may have to refer to history books to learn about the beautiful flora and fauna around us ...

hmm...that would explain. Still, the grey herons are quite plentiful. I've just checked the tide timings, the next few days offer relatively low tides around mid day. I've shot during that time of the day and i can assure u that the lighting is excellent if scorching....anyone keen for friday tentatively? or sunday or monday? show of hands pls! Btw, u'll need 01xPCK yellow boots. The mud is no joke. Or army standard issue boots.

No wonder i saw a big white mama sticking out in the mud the other day.....
The grey herons population are dwindling down. But if you look closer, you might see my friend, the elusive Purple Heron. That is an even more beautiful bird than the Great Blue Heron.

err
actually, i saw one in sungei buloh the other day. The main hide when u walk in. The guy is always fishing there. I spent an entire day slacking there on friday. Just reading and enjoying the quietness..haha. I'm a bum at heart!

Status
Not open for further replies.