Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Watched this movie last night. Visual effect is great. Those of you who are interested in visiting China in the future, should take specially looks at some scenery e.g. at Jiu Zhai Gou (water) and Dun Huang (desert). The director Zhang Yi Mo was a video cameraman, so you should also take note of his shooting style and angles. The story is not up to my expectation, but the actions are right there.

Highly recommended.

Originally posted by tomshen

Highly recommended.

Ok, I trust you, Tom. Will watch it tonight. :)

I was very disappointed though with Zhang Yi Mou's previous work, "Shanghai Triad" :bheart: which is totally different from his previous master pieces I know like "Ju Dou", "Farewell to my concubine", and "Raise the Red Lantern".

visual effects:thumbsup:

story::thumbsd: reminds me of run lola run with all the repititions...which i'm not sure what the movie was about till today

Watched it 3 hours ago. Excellent cinematography. I will definitely buy the DVD when it is available. Would love to watch it over and over again. Both Maggie Cheung and Zhang Zi Yi are as cool as ever. If I were Zhang Yi Mou, the movie director, I would improve the love making scene though. :devil:

The story line is perfectly okay with me.

Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

If one ever reads some Chinese hero novels before, he should be able to experience what's presented in the movie. Some actions are exactly what appeared in my dream when I was young, the falling leaves, the "Qi", just beautiful. It's the art of fight. :) But on the other hand, someone else may feel it's too common due to the ever increasing artificial visual effect created by Hollywood. By any means, dun miss it, even u may have complains here and there, hehe...

Originally posted by rty
Watched it 3 hours ago. Excellent cinematography. I will definitely buy the DVD when it is available. Would love to watch it over and over again. Both Maggie Cheung and Zhang Zi Yi are as cool as ever. If I were Zhang Yi Mou, the movie director, I would improve the love making scene though. :devil:

The story line is perfectly okay with me.

Highly recommended. :thumbsup:
erm? i always doubt how Zhang Zi Yi can survive till now... she really dun have impressive acting skill, from crounching tiger hidden dragon, till hero, her part seem like only got love making one... others just "arh.... ", "hahaaa....", no expression talking scene etc.... :thumbsd:

I liked crouching tiger, crouching dragon crouching elephant whatever...
it's amazing how a old-school old bird like yuen wo ping can break free of the old-school of budget waiyah choreography and return to the form imagined in the books.
the scenes on the trees, the night run on the roofs are so accurate, I couldn't understand why people laughed...
so if hero's like that, wowwowowowowwow I can't wait to watch it!

Actually I hated Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon coz it bored me so badly that I rather cut my toenails... Maybe I don't read chinese comics or am not into unrealistic martial arts. Maybe I will just catch "Hero" just to see how good/bad it is.

Run Lola run was good, it shared the same concept as "sliding doors" with some MTV influences.

I dunno. I really enjoyed Crouching whatever. Fell in love with Zhang Ziyi during the show. Such a spunky gal! And there were a lot of humourous digs at the old kung fu movies. And the ending... the ending was sublime! Not to mention Yoyo Ma's music.

Guess I'm a true blue banana - yellow outside and white inside, because Crouching whatever was supposed to be an Ang Moh movie.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll enjoy Hero. May watch it at midnight tonight (no need to send daughter to school tomorrow morning) then go street shooting after that. Got my cam loaded with Ilford 3200!

lee ang moh movie ;p? I thought they just had mo money hehe...
hk flicks have this tendency to inject either commercial humour (triad influence?) or melodrama or some manga-ish influence...

no pt arguing whether CTHD was good for everyone... it's subjective.. I like kungfu fantasies.. I like medieval fantasies, haha ok fantasies..

I like both "Hero" and "Hidden Dragon and Crouching Tiger" but if asked to choose among the two, I would definitely go for "Hero", mainly because of Maggie Cheung playing in it. Laugh as loud as you all wish, but I have to admit that she is one of my fantasy lovers for many years. Whenever she cries in the movie, I cry too.

To Chen Wei, Zhang Ziyi in Hero only played a minor role and she did quite well in it, so don't worry. Join the queue and watch it. ;)

To Streetshooter, if you like the music by Yoyo Ma in the Hidden Dragon, I am sure you would enjoy this one in "Hero" (minus Coco Lee) as well.

Oh.. by the way, I just realized that there's a flaw on the development of the ploys in "Hero" but for the sake of those who haven't watched the movie and are going to watch it, I won't mention what the flaw is now. Anyway, rest assured, "Hero" is a great movie which I highly recommend to everyone who appreciates the fine art of cinematography.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
I dunno. I really enjoyed Crouching whatever. Fell in love with Zhang Ziyi during the show. Such a spunky gal! And there were a lot of humourous digs at the old kung fu movies. And the ending... the ending was sublime! Not to mention Yoyo Ma's music.

Guess I'm a true blue banana - yellow outside and white inside, because Crouching whatever was supposed to be an Ang Moh movie.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll enjoy Hero. May watch it at midnight tonight (no need to send daughter to school tomorrow morning) then go street shooting after that. Got my cam loaded with Ilford 3200!

Bo jio! :D (For both movie and street shooting) :D

Originally posted by rty
Laugh as loud as you all wish, but I have to admit that she is one of my fantasy lovers for many years. Whenever she cries in the movie, I cry too.

Hey, nothing wrong there what. There are enough females going around with their hearts a-flutter over Legolas, i dont' see why we guys aren't allowed to indulge in our hormones. ;)

Originally posted by Wolfgang

When? Want to org a movoe outing for Hero? :p

Too late for me.. I just finalised a mobilisation with my Unimates..
In case you dunno what's Unimates, they are NOT Fembots. rather the opp... LOL

Originally posted by denizenx

Too late for me.. I just finalised a mobilisation with my Unimates..
In case you dunno what's Unimates, they are NOT Fembots. rather the opp... LOL

Well, even if it was fembots... :devil:

after all this while, they still haven't perfected a good way to portray defying gravity. in good old kungfu stuff, they weren't supposed to fly, just jump. yet all these modern movies still make it look as if it is physics-defying flight.

Originally posted by hyun
after all this while, they still haven't perfected a good way to portray defying gravity. in good old kungfu stuff, they weren't supposed to fly, just jump. yet all these modern movies still make it look as if it is physics-defying flight.

but the jumps in the book are like flight... no crouch or spring, just tap toes and go, then can reverse direction or go higher by *tapping ur own toes* super elegant and no physics whatsoever... :)
then the sprinting like CaoShangFei and ShuiShangPiao, is really like Tsui Hark's show, where the toes just tap on the stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.