LR Tips Hermann Zapf Sketchbook Kickstarter Project

RSSNewsRobot

Sep 27, 2006
I’ve been known to fall down the rabbit hole of Kickstarter projects, and this past week I chased many a white rabbit. This time, however, I climbed back out not with a strange feeling from drinking out of bottles labeled “DRINK ME,” but with a rare gem. I stumbled upon the Hermann Zapf Sketchbook Project. Zapf—master calligrapher and creator of renowned typefaces such as Palatino, Optima, and Zapfino—is directly involved in this project to reproduce some of his sketchbooks, which include examples of his calligraphic skill, pencil sketches, and watercolor paintings. To maintain his skills as a budding graphic artist, Zapf faithfully kept a sketchbook with him during his time with the German army during World War II. This project is a complete reproduction of the three sketchbooks produced during that time. Zapf would not, understandably, let the originals leave his possession, so Akira Kobayashi of Linotype GmBH went to Zapf to make high-resolution scans of the cloth-bound sketchbooks for reproduction. The finished project will be offset-printed at the sketchbooks’ original size of 8.25 x 6 inches on archival paper, with a sewn binding, and cloth-bound to keep the feel of the originals. The 160-page book will feature artwork on [...]

More...