Heritage Railroad - Tangjong Pagar to Bukit Timah

Tango Wasp

Jul 31, 2007
Just did my railroad trip before it closes at Tanjong Pagar.

I really think that after July 1, the railroad stretch from Tanjong Pagar to Bukit Timah should be preserved as part of Singapore historical sites and it can turn into part of a Heritage Railroad - otherwise, everything in Singapore is too modern - where got fun.

I am not sure if there is a "business case" to running it. We tear down too many old stuff here.

I reaching 40, but I hardly can see those things which i saw in my life previous. Singapore got lesser n lesser historical building/area. More flood will be coming into our future, haha!

the tracks unlikely to be preserved in view of the hugh potential of adjacent 'new' land released thru the tearing of the tracks.

Last edited:

I really think that after July 1, the railroad stretch from Tanjong Pagar to Bukit Timah should be preserved as part of Singapore historical sites and it can turn into part of a Heritage Railroad - otherwise, everything in Singapore is too modern - where got fun.

I am not sure if there is a "business case" to running it. We tear down too many old stuff here.
Your proposal is not new and has already been mooted by the public multiple times in the mass media, in fact there is already an entire community in support of preserving the KTM railway stations and tracks in Singapore.

The Green Corridor

The Green Corridor: A Proposal to Keep the Railway Lands as a Continous Green Corridor by the Nature Society of Singapore (NSS)

Last edited:
Your proposal is not new and has already been mooted by the public multiple times in the mass media, in fact there is already an entire community in support of preserving the KTM railway stations and tracks in Singapore.

The Green Corridor

The Green Corridor: A Proposal to Keep the Railway Lands as a Continous Green Corridor by the Nature Society of Singapore (NSS)

Thanks! It is a good initiative.

Eighteen more days to makan and take photos of KTMB Tanjong Pagar Singapura before we declare it "close shop" for good.

4537679578_4aa5bcb1fa.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------

Thursday June 9, 2011
Party plans on track for last train ride to Tanjong Pagar

SINGAPORE: When the KTM Berhad train pulls into the Tanjong Pagar railway station for the last time on June 30, close to 70 passengers will be on board in party hats and popping bottles of champagne.

Friends and history buffs Jerome Lim, 46, Clarissa Tan, 39, and Pooja Makhijani, 33, are organising a sending-off party of sorts on board the train to commemorate the historic occasion.

The trio plan to take the last train into the Tanjong Pagar railway station, which departs from Segamat railway station in Johor at 5.59pm, and travel four hours back to Singapore.

The idea for the party was conceived online via a single tweet. After reading an entry on Lim's blog on May 18 about taking the final train ride into the station, Tan tweeted about the possibility of joining him and organising a “party”.

Both Pooja and Lim spread the word by blogging about the event and inviting members of the public.

They also started a Facebook page, The Last Train Into Tanjong Pagar, which has accumulated over 80 fans since it was created a week ago.

Tan said: “Everyone is responsible for getting his own ticket for the train ride and getting on that train. But once we're all on board, that's when the party starts.”

Approximately 70 people are expected to join them in the festivities which will include potluck finger food, champagne and singing.

It was announced last year that KTM will move its train services to the Woodlands train checkpoint from July 1.

The historic Tanjong Pagar railway station, which opened in 1932, holds many memories for Tan.

Born in Kuala Lumpur, the freelance journalist first came to Singapore at 15 to further her studies.

“It was here at the platform where my mother and I said our goodbyes to each other,” she recalled.

On the station's move to Woodlands, Lim said: “When the trains pull into Woodlands, we won't see the amazing landscape anymore. Especially those undiscovered parts of Singapore, such as the stretch between Holland Road and King Albert Park, which you would only get to experience when the train makes its way to the Tanjong Pagar station.” - The Straits Times/Asia News Network

Last edited:

I believe they will only preserve the two stations only, other lands to be redevelop

Honestly, I find all this attention and interest to the station and train taking to be unwarranted.
The damn thing has been there for ages and no S'porean gave a damn.
Now as with all things nowadays, driven by hype, ppl flock there to pay homage and what not.

Real users of the rail get problems with ticket availability, just because someone now wants to be part of the 'in-thing' to have a photograph taken at the station and train.
Anyway, those really interested, the rail will still be there. Just that it does not start from Tanjong Pagar, so still plenty of chances to take in the experience of rail travel from Woodlands onwards.
Station is another story of course, but that does not involve buying tickets (benefits all).

Only practical solution is to keep the station and probably a 1-2km portion of the rail.
I don't think many will be interested/fit/mentally prepared to trudge through the whole length of rail line from Tanjong Pagar to Woodlands under the tropical heat, so not practical to keep every inch of it.

Honestly, I find all this attention and interest to the station and train taking to be unwarranted.
The damn thing has been there for ages and no S'porean gave a damn.
Now as with all things nowadays, driven by hype, ppl flock there to pay homage and what not.

Real users of the rail get problems with ticket availability, just because someone now wants to be part of the 'in-thing' to have a photograph taken at the station and train.
Anyway, those really interested, the rail will still be there. Just that it does not start from Tanjong Pagar, so still plenty of chances to take in the experience of rail travel from Woodlands onwards.
Station is another story of course, but that does not involve buying tickets (benefits all).

Only practical solution is to keep the station and probably a 1-2km portion of the rail.
I don't think many will be interested/fit/mentally prepared to trudge through the whole length of rail line from Tanjong Pagar to Woodlands under the tropical heat, so not practical to keep every inch of it.
Kind of ironic considering that for decades the railway was a sore thumb in Singapore-Malaysia bilateral ties and international relations, a remnant of the British colonial era that most people couldn't wait to see it go. :bsmilie:

Kind of ironic considering that for decades the railway was a sore thumb in Singapore-Malaysia bilateral ties and international relations, a remnant of the British colonial era that most people couldn't wait to see it go. :bsmilie:

I'd not be too quick to assume that "most" people wanted it gone. ;) The railway is a tangible part of our history and our heritage, which we can't deny.

It was crowded today with photogs and families on vacation to Malaysia.

Ten more days to go.

If you've been a frequent visitor to Tanjong Pagar, you'll know that it is the same situation like at Changi Airport.

There are quiet and busy time.

Cheers.

No doubt, just pointing out the irony in how the station was almost like a ghost town during weekdays before the closure was announced. :bsmilie:

Tickets snapped up for KTMB’s final Tanjong Pagar service

KUALA LUMPUR: More than 170 people will be on the last train out of Tanjong Pagar station in Singapore on June 30, but chances are, they will not be rushing to get aboard before the green flag signifying the start of the journey is waved.

Almost all of the 172 tickets for the final journey were snapped up after they went on sale at noon yesterday, pointing to the possibility that many wanted to be a part of the historic occasion.

Just five hours after the ticket counters opened for business, the second class sleeping coach tickets were sold out, while the first and second class coaches had only two and 56 tickets left, respectively.

The Ekspres Senandung Sutera locomotive will depart at 10pm from the Tanjong Pagar station, breaking the silence of the darkness of the night for one last time. The express train service ends at the Kuala Lumpur Sentral station.

Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd corporate communications executive Kelvin Khew said a sending-off celebration would be organised to commemorate the historic occasion. “The celebration will start at 11pm with many activities lined up, (including) selling the train’s memorabilia.” Besides that, said Khew, an exhibition would be held at the Tanjong Pagar station from June 26 to 29, in collaboration with Tourism Malaysia.

The Sultan of Johor, Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar, will drive a special train from Tanjong Pagar and stop at the Woodlands Immigration checkpoint, then continue to Johor Baru Sentral after getting a licence last year.

Meanwhile, a page has been set up by several people on social networking site Facebook.
Called “The Last Train Into Tanjong Pagar”, it has already accumulated 357 fans since it was created earlier this month.

Most of them expressed their sadness over the closure of the Tanjong Pagar station.

On July 1, the curtains will come down on the Tanjong Pagar and Bukit Timah stations in Singapore as KTMB terminates its rail services in the republic south of the Woodlands train checkpoint.

The Tanjong Pagar and Bukit Timah stations have been providing rail services for Malaysians and Singaporeans since 1932 and 1915, respectively. The Tanjong Pagar site and other KTMB land parcels in the island republic will be jointly developed by MS Pte Ltd, a company with a 60 per cent stake held by Khazanah Nasional Bhd and 40 per cent by Temasek Holdings Ltd.

This was agreed upon during a series of bilateral meetings which also involved Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak and his Singapore counterpart, Lee Hsien Loong, last year.

http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/TicketssnappedupforKTMB__8217_sfinalTanjongPagarservice/Article/

Last edited:
I already took 32,543 pictures of the rail way ...

google said:
I already took 32,543 pictures of the rail way ...

You do know how to spam ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I97y-c3WDw

I would like to share a short film i rushed through using iMovie. I'm a railway enthusiast and i thought i could do something special for people to remember this part of Singapore's history. What i did was to do this short film using skills learnt in my media course.

I happened to be invited onboard the last train by KTMB and i shot some videos of people waving at the train as it pulls out of Singapore.

I feel happy that people came out at night just to see this last train. I feel sad knowing that things i grew up with (my passion for trains especially KTM trains) are going to be wiped out by progress. It is made worse by the fact that i know some KTMB staff who worked in Singapore. This historic moment marked an end of their existence here in Singapore. It will be hard to find them in Malaysia as they will be redeployed to other areas within the KTMB network.

This short tribute is based on the emotion of reflection and nostalgia.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I97y-c3WDw

I would like to share a short film i rushed through using iMovie. I'm a railway enthusiast and i thought i could do something special for people to remember this part of Singapore's history. What i did was to do this short film using skills learnt in my media course.

I happened to be invited onboard the last train by KTMB and i shot some videos of people waving at the train as it pulls out of Singapore.

I feel happy that people came out at night just to see this last train. I feel sad knowing that things i grew up with (my passion for trains especially KTM trains) are going to be wiped out by progress. It is made worse by the fact that i know some KTMB staff who worked in Singapore. This historic moment marked an end of their existence here in Singapore. It will be hard to find them in Malaysia as they will be redeployed to other areas within the KTMB network.

This short tribute is based on the emotion of reflection and nostalgia.

Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing. :)

It is quite fast that the railway tracks have been removed.

I was passing Cold Storage Jelita today and the tracks were gone.