Helsinki

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemesis32

Oct 16, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi guys

I may have the chance to go Helsinki sometime this month for a short business trip. Any suggestion on what to do if i was to extend say 2-3 days in Helsinki?

Any information will be much appreciated. I will try and post some links i found yesterday but yet to have time to go through them :)

The weather is most likely awful - bitterly cold with daylight only a few hours; say from 11am to 3pm and even so, it is very dull and depressing daylight. I had not ventured much in Finland other than some city sights and some nearby resorts for sauna/lake.

That aside, some suggestions:
1) St Petersburg in Russia for 2 or 3 days. Need to arrange visa in advance. It is an expensive city though and I hear the winter is quite magical there. It is a few hours train ride from Helsinki.
2) Tallinn of Estonia. Take a ferry for a day trip. It is mainly old town like scenery.
3) Stockholm by overnight ferry.

perhaps can see if you can travel up north a little to try and catch the northern lights.

This small nearby town called Porvoo is nice, accessible by bus. Prob take you one day.
Else can visit Suomelina Island, short ferry ride from Market Square jetty, it's one of the World Heritage sites. Plus the Grand Cathedral and other attractions. Take you one day also.
See some pics here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/muzikbug/sets/72157594169416166/

If you hv more days, then cruise to Stockholm would be nice, but you will need at least 2 nights.

The weather is most likely awful - bitterly cold with daylight only a few hours; say from 11am to 3pm and even so, it is very dull and depressing daylight. I had not ventured much in Finland other than some city sights and some nearby resorts for sauna/lake.

That aside, some suggestions:
1) St Petersburg in Russia for 2 or 3 days. Need to arrange visa in advance. It is an expensive city though and I hear the winter is quite magical there. It is a few hours train ride from Helsinki.
2) Tallinn of Estonia. Take a ferry for a day trip. It is mainly old town like scenery.
3) Stockholm by overnight ferry.
Haha.. i doubt i will have time to travel to other places.. thanks though :p i kinda expected the weather to suck... hopefully the project kicks off later then i don't have to go now!

perhaps can see if you can travel up north a little to try and catch the northern lights.
yeah, i was kinda hoping for that but it seems chances are better between jan-mar and i need to travel further north in order to catch it so unlikely able to do it for the short trip :p

This small nearby town called Porvoo is nice, accessible by bus. Prob take you one day.
Else can visit Suomelina Island, short ferry ride from Market Square jetty, it's one of the World Heritage sites. Plus the Grand Cathedral and other attractions. Take you one day also.
See some pics here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/muzikbug/sets/72157594169416166/

If you hv more days, then cruise to Stockholm would be nice, but you will need at least 2 nights.
Nice pictures! will look up more info on this place u mentioned :)

Status
Not open for further replies.