helpppppppppppppppppp

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhammedtaufiq

Nov 18, 2004
east
hey guys....i have a shoot coming up in a couple of days...wedding....in a hotel...im currently using a d70 with lens ed18-70mm and an sb800 flash..

my worries are that i will be using settings of P with the jpeg setting at medium fine settings...and to revert to large fine for group shots...my flash....since im not a very flash person...ive set it ti ttl bL......

as for the iso was thinking to set it at auto.....

so all u guys with experience on this cam...so far what do you think and pleeeeaaassseee....help....am i worried for nothing....oh btw..shot mostly on manual cams...and this is my new foray into the digital business...though i am very adapt with graphic softwares....its just that the image sizes settings are worrying me...and the flash....any tips guys??.....i humbly beg you...

muhammedtaufiq said:
hey guys....i have a shoot coming up in a couple of days...wedding....in a hotel...im currently using a d70 with lens ed18-70mm and an sb800 flash..

my worries are that i will be using settings of P with the jpeg setting at medium fine settings...and to revert to large fine for group shots...my flash....since im not a very flash person...ive set it ti ttl bL......

so all u guys with experience on this cam...so far what do you think and pleeeeaaassseee....help....am i worried for nothing....oh btw..shot mostly on manual cams...and this is my new foray into the digital business...though i am very adapt with graphic softwares....its just that the image sizes settings are worrying me...and the flash....any tips guys??.....i humbly beg you...
Shoot RAW...you'll be glad you did....those whites :eek:! Skip the auto...it's for dummies. Bracket, bracket, bracket exposure.............

Aiyah, you should have tested your camera and know what it can or cannot do, and what settings gives YOU the best results, it is YOUR photos, and YOUR work, only YOU know what tickles your fancy.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

better spend these 2 days testing then. ;)

you will most probably get dark backgrounds with P mode. Av mode may give you very slow shutter speeds. try manual metering 1/30s or 1/60s f/5.6.

for the iso setting, do some test shots and see the noise level. Test the shots in the same settings and light to get a clearer test, you don't want to have any suprises and spoil someone's wedding pictures.

I don't advise JPEG for weddings. You're going to regret it.

ISO 200 to 800 with i-TTL should be fine. I won't advise auto-ISO as well.

Btw, let me know if I can tag along as your PA :)

espn said:
I don't advise JPEG for weddings. You're going to regret it.

ISO 200 to 800 with i-TTL should be fine. I won't advise auto-ISO as well.

Btw, let me know if I can tag along as your PA :)

If you shoot RAW in an event like wedding when you can have up to hundreds of images, where got time to do the convert and correction?

Pro-New said:
If you shoot RAW in an event like wedding when you can have up to hundreds of images, where got time to do the convert and correction?

It's your job to ensure that the couple gets what they want, if you're a professional photographer, where got time to worry about WB settings during events?

RAWs are the safest way to get your images saved (in this case if I may be crude - YOUR ASS).

Believe it or not, this is the part and parcel of digital life, you can either do a batch process, or like me, I'll adjust each and every one personally. Tiring but it's safer than missing the WB & unable to push/pull more than 1EV on JPEG.

Hundreds of images are natural for a wedding, and it's up to the individual perference on how to deliver.

Btw, even if JPEG you also have to post process, and with each saving of the file, you lose details. And if the WB is wrong, you waste the shot and probably other shots that come in the same WB. With RAW I can edit and edit and produce different styles of the same images.

From the thread starter's post, he has already shown that he's not really confident of the camera and settings, I don't think he can pick up WB in a matter of days to his wedding.

RAW is his only best bet.

Just my 2c :)

muhammedtaufiq said:

If you are the main photographer, I suggest you turn down the job as you are going to destory someone's wedding. How can you be so irresponsible to take someone's wedding when you do not even have the confidence for your own camera and skill?

What are you taking about?? WB just set to daylight, he WILL be using a Flash. If that goes wrong, please tell me and I will stick to my slr and films. A pro must know his/her camera, how to charge if you don't even know what will happen once you press the shutter, any monkey can press the button, a pro knows what the picture WILL look like. I agree with Pro-New, RAW is just too much work, but I also agree with espn, every picture MUST be checked and edited, so shoot at the highest quality and size, this is so that you have that little bit extra to work with during post processing. For example shoot at 6MP , edit and resize to 5MP and save as in a different folder.

If he is NOT confident, then he better NOT be the only photographer covering the wedding, I suggest getting some experience first before you mess up.

I am about to purchase a DSLR and WILL extensively test the camera out for a month before putting it in for some pro work. There is NO reshoot for a wedding.

Blurblock not so blur afterall. Good call. Maybe he should be the backup photographer to gain experience first.

Wedding event is fast moving, where got time for you to wait for the camera to write the raw files? Unless you have a second camera, or another photographer.

If the final output is 4R prints, med fine jpg is good, iso 400 or 800 is fine, manual, 1/30 or 1/60, f5.6, watch out for spotlight when it hit the couple, keep the subject in your flash working distance, check the histogram for every shot, believe it or not, many pro wedding shooters shoot on auto white balance.

Get it right on site, don't bring home garbage and try to savage it.

ortega said:
What are you taking about?? WB just set to daylight, he WILL be using a Flash. If that goes wrong, please tell me and I will stick to my slr and films. A pro must know his/her camera, how to charge if you don't even know what will happen once you press the shutter, any monkey can press the button, a pro knows what the picture WILL look like. I agree with Pro-New, RAW is just too much work, but I also agree with espn, every picture MUST be checked and edited, so shoot at the highest quality and size, this is so that you have that little bit extra to work with during post processing. For example shoot at 6MP , edit and resize to 5MP and save as in a different folder.

If he is NOT confident, then he better NOT be the only photographer covering the wedding, I suggest getting some experience first before you mess up.

I am about to purchase a DSLR and WILL extensively test the camera out for a month before putting it in for some pro work. There is NO reshoot for a wedding.

Urm... daylight WB is not god. It will not work for outdoors, you would likely to get a reddy cast on your images. Yellow cast if inside dinner restaurant.

RAW is a lot of work, I don't deny, but when you see how it can save your ass, you'll be kneeling and worhsipping it in no time. Effort is a must, no one expects a no-frills/processing job after shooting. If it's like that everybody can become pro already :) just shoot and not worry about image quality.

Shooting at highest resolution doesn't mean that you don't have to post-process or less post processing. You still have to post-process. If you're conscious of your images, you'd want the best, RAW + post processing is a must. If you're just shooting for fun, then JPEG would be good. If it goes wrong, just convert it to black & white.

Before one uses it for any shoot, one must understand his equipment, even if you give me a 1Ds MK II or D2H, I also can produce crap shot. Equipment understanding is very important. Pro-new, good for you if you can think that way.

catchlights said:
Wedding event is fast moving, where got time for you to wait for the camera to write the raw files? Unless you have a second camera, or another photographer.

If the final output is 4R prints, med fine jpg is good, iso 400 or 800 is fine, manual, 1/30 or 1/60, f5.6, watch out for spotlight when it hit the couple, keep the subject in your flash working distance, check the histogram for every shot, believe it or not, many pro wedding shooters shoot on auto white balance.

DSLRs write RAWs MUCH faster than Digital Cameras (DC) this is due to their IO, D70 writes compress RAW much faster with a Lexar WA card than even D100. It takes about the same time to write a JPEG Large to the card.

You cannot assume 4R prints, what if the couples want a larger 8R print? :) I don't suggest manual because I trust Nikon's metering. I would prefer aperture mode (A) so that I can play with DOF and let TTL and Nikon's metering to calculate the exposure for me.

WB is not important when you shoot RAW. I can set it to incandescent and shoot all shots, I just tweak it when I get home. I still can get the WB changed. No difference.

You can't get it right on site, there's no way to get a perfect shot. Post processing is necesary, don't try to evade it. Even for studios, they do touch up the negs before printing, what makes you think digital doesn't require post processing? :)

You can bring home garbage, and it can be salvaged, better than throwing it away. It's all about professionalism & ethics. Some things, sometimes cannot be avoided.

It's a lot of work for wedding photographers, ask iamasaint & joho, I don't think they shoot JPEG :)

catchlights said:

weddings may be fast, but not that fast like sports. i dont think d70 writes raw files that slowly. shouldnt be a problem.

catchlights said:

thats exactly right. but bad things do happen like flash not firing at the critical moment. you have a better chance salvaging that one important shot with raw. with jpeg you better be spot on.

Pro-New said:

you dont have to deliver the photos immediately after the wedding reception ends do you?

processing raw is time consuming but may be easier that you think. using adobe raw plugin, you can apply raw settings to a set of similar photos in one go. everything is done, you can easily batch process the raws to what whatever format your desire. after that its individual edits where necessary. maybe i simplified the process, but thats basically it.

espn said:
DSLRs write RAWs MUCH faster than Digital Cameras (DC) this is due to their IO, D70 writes compress RAW much faster with a Lexar WA card than even D100. It takes about the same time to write a JPEG Large to the card.

You cannot assume 4R prints, what if the couples want a larger 8R print? :) I don't suggest manual because I trust Nikon's metering. I would prefer aperture mode (A) so that I can play with DOF and let TTL and Nikon's metering to calculate the exposure for me.

WB is not important when you shoot RAW. I can set it to incandescent and shoot all shots, I just tweak it when I get home. I still can get the WB changed. No difference.

You can't get it right on site, there's no way to get a perfect shot. Post processing is necesary, don't try to evade it. Even for studios, they do touch up the negs before printing, what makes you think digital doesn't require post processing? :)

You can bring home garbage, and it can be salvaged, better than throwing it away. It's all about professionalism & ethics. Some things, sometimes cannot be avoided.

It's a lot of work for wedding photographers, ask iamasaint & joho, I don't think they shoot JPEG :)

:thumbsup: except for the metering part ;)

espn said:

Your workflow is correct. I share what works for me, muhammedtaufiq please find a method and workflow will work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.