Helping a friend look for a camera (budget ~$300 - $500)


Status
Not open for further replies.

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
38
Visit site
#1
hi ppl,

i'm trying to help a friend buy a new camera. but i myself am not very good at it. i'm personally using a finepix 2600z :(.

She kinda likes the olympus c350 but because she doesn't want to spend to much on it, I am not recommending it to her (coz it uses only xd cards).

anything around that range that would be a better choice? trying to get something that uses more easily available and cheaper accessories (mmc/sd/cf cards, AA batt etc).

thanks for any help.
 

C-720

New Member
Jan 6, 2004
108
0
0
Singapore
#2
i got one C-300 Olympus for sell , still under warranty. Willing to sell it at S$330. the body is 99% like new and come with standard accessories like USB cable, CR-Rom, Olympus Cover beg, Manuals, box & etc.

The C-350 is using Xd card but C-300 is using SmartMedia Card which is more economic than Xd. You can get the Smart Media Card 128mb at S$60 :D :thumbsup: Again , the C-300 is using normal AA battery that you can easily buy battery from elsewhere when the battery is flat.

If your friend are keen, pls email me at mymamasay@hotmail.com :cool:
 

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
38
Visit site
#3
C-720 said:
i got one C-300 Olympus for sell , still under warranty. Willing to sell it at S$330. the body is 99% like new and come with standard accessories like USB cable, CR-Rom, Olympus Cover beg, Manuals, box & etc.

The C-350 is using Xd card but C-300 is using SmartMedia Card which is more economic than Xd. You can get the Smart Media Card 128mb at S$60 :D :thumbsup: Again , the C-300 is using normal AA battery that you can easily buy battery from elsewhere when the battery is flat.

If your friend are keen, pls email me at mymamasay@hotmail.com :cool:
thanks for the info... but i think she's looking for a brand new one.. :) any idea whats the retail price for the c-300 now (if it is still being sold)?

any other models/brands to recommend?

thanks.
 

#4
how about a Canon A80 or A70?
A80 is around 4 meg pixels and A70 is around 3 meg pixels.
both uses AA size batteries.

perhaps u like to find out more about these 2 cameras by searching for the A70 or A80 thread in Canon's forum.
 

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
38
Visit site
#5
Cheesecake said:
how about a Canon A80 or A70?
A80 is around 4 meg pixels and A70 is around 3 meg pixels.
both uses AA size batteries.

perhaps u like to find out more about these 2 cameras by searching for the A70 or A80 thread in Canon's forum.
thanks bro,
how much is it retailing right now? read up the specs in the canon forum.. looks pretty decent.. :)
 

showtime

New Member
May 2, 2003
984
0
0
39
Singapore
Visit site
#6
Cheesecake said:
how about a Canon A80 or A70?
A80 is around 4 meg pixels and A70 is around 3 meg pixels.
both uses AA size batteries.

perhaps u like to find out more about these 2 cameras by searching for the A70 or A80 thread in Canon's forum.
i second your recomendation. ;)
 

SuRfTeC

New Member
Oct 17, 2003
371
0
0
Singapore, East
Visit site
#7
Cheesecake said:
how about a Canon A80 or A70?
A80 is around 4 meg pixels and A70 is around 3 meg pixels.
both uses AA size batteries.

perhaps u like to find out more about these 2 cameras by searching for the A70 or A80 thread in Canon's forum.
with the budget of $300 ~ $500... definitely canon A series digi cam :thumbsup:

maybe quite difficult to get a brand new A80... can try the MarketPlace if there's any second hand for sale!
but should be able to get a brand new A70 at that price range...which i think is pretty good for beginners...!

cheers
 

drafting88

New Member
Feb 17, 2002
227
0
0
Woodlands
Visit site
#8
I assume $500 is the maximum amount she is willing to spend.

If that is the case, and if she would mostly be printing the photos in 4R-size. I would recommend the Canon A60 which is a 2 MP camera but has similar specifications to the A70; other than the megapixel count.

If I may, here is the breakdown of the items that would fit within the $500 budget (all brand new):
Canon A60 - ~$350 (with GST at MS Color)
Battery Charger - $30 (from Eastgear)
2 sets (8 pcs) of Sanyo 2100 rechargeable batteries - $24 (from Eastgear)
Hagiwara 128MB card - $61 (from flashcard-bestbuy.com)
CF card reader - $15 (from South Asia Computers, Funan)

Total = $480

Hope this helps.
 

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
38
Visit site
#9
drafting88 said:
I assume $500 is the maximum amount she is willing to spend.

If that is the case, and if she would mostly be printing the photos in 4R-size. I would recommend the Canon A60 which is a 2 MP camera but has similar specifications to the A70; other than the megapixel count.

If I may, here is the breakdown of the items that would fit within the $500 budget (all brand new):
Canon A60 - ~$350 (with GST at MS Color)
Battery Charger - $30 (from Eastgear)
2 sets (8 pcs) of Sanyo 2100 rechargeable batteries - $24 (from Eastgear)
Hagiwara 128MB card - $61 (from flashcard-bestbuy.com)
CF card reader - $15 (from South Asia Computers, Funan)

Total = $480

Hope this helps.
WOW!! thanks so much for the info... i'll definitely recommend this to her.. thanks for your help.. really appreciate it.. :)
 

ukey

New Member
Dec 4, 2003
35
0
0
#10
maybe can look at minolta X20 if small + light + AA is more impt to u than functions ;p

just a suggestion....final choice depends on whats ur criterion
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom