Help3x...Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO DG HSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitewolf

Oct 3, 2008
HI GUYS

Merry Xmas to all and wishing all the Best in the coming New Year...

I had just bought myself a Sigma Lens as stated on the title. Anybody using this same lens? Have read Reviews after Reviews about this lens before buying it and how sharp and great value for money this lens is but unfortunately it has not been a good experience for me.

Firstly what I would like to know is: What is the MAXIMUM Distance between Subject and Camera for it to have a SHARP Focus at 200mm???
I have tried at approx. 30 mtrs (200mm) and 0 Sharpness, 5 mtrs (200mm) still 0 Sharpness.
Even at Variable Focal Lengths I still have difficulties at having Sharp Images.
All shots were taken using a tri-pod and 10sec timer to avoid camera shake.
Hellllllppppppp:dunno::dunno::eek::eek::thumbsd::cry

Hmmmm

Anybody....out there....help....:bheart::sweat:
Isn't anybody out there using this lens?
I guess I'm too Cheap....:cry:

Maybe you should show some sample pictures to see. For me shooting wide open at 200mm its a bit soft but its reasonably sharp up to 150mm, this was reported in a few reviews i saw before i got it.

frankly i don't understand how you bought this thing home... i guess you never tried it on the spot...

what i guess you could do now is
1. Check AF is on properly (haven't seen any lens would return 0 sharpness)
2. Try MF for testing (eliminate lens front / back focus issues)

all these are guessings... maybe you could post a few photos to show...

p/s: where did you got the review saying that lens is sharp? i couldn't find reliable full frame tests for it... lens tests on sub-frame versus full frame could be significant...

i)what is ur reference of a sharp photo? how sharp u want it to be without any pp? any photo taken by ur present lense?

ii)what is ur camera settings when u take the photo? this is important for any further assessment

if u camera allow micro-adjustment & LiveView, u can fine tune to its optimum sharpness

Hi jaRv1s...check out Dyxum.com for the reviews...yeah you're right about how I did not test the lens before bringing it home( dumb of me wasn't it) Infact the test was only at short distances between Subject n Camera. At Short distances, 1-3mtrs between Camera n subject, pic was reasonably sharp. But, increase that distance, the sharpness is just not there. I would not call it soft either.
AF switched ON=Confirmed, Manual Focus= Tried that but still it did not help... Camera=Sony a900

Hi blaz7...How far away were u, Between Subject n Camera, when u took the shot. (Check Dyxum.com)
Hey Guys..Do you think that I am taking the Pic that are just too Far for the Lens to Focus? I don't think so, after all it's a Telephoto Zoom Lens, right? Correct me if I'm wrong pls.

I will try to upload some pics I took this afternoon at the Kallang River where I was. Though I am a newbie, and self thought, I have been practising with the a200+70-210 f2.8 for more than a year and have understood the meaning of Sharp Images n blah blah blah. Have been playing with the a900+24-105(kit lens)about 2 weeks, and have got great results. Hence I got the Sigma for Sports and Wildlife and took it out for practice today. Hope u guys can help me out...Cheers buddy

Last edited:
i)what is ur reference of a sharp photo? how sharp u want it to be without any pp? any photo taken by ur present lense?

ii)what is ur camera settings when u take the photo? this is important for any further assessment

if u camera allow micro-adjustment & LiveView, u can fine tune to its optimum sharpness

Honestly, I don't like to pp my pics bro as I like it original. Will try to upload some pics once i find out how to.
Camera was set at Manual Mode and also tried A Mode at f2.8, 8-11.
How would I go about Fine Tuning the Camera bro??? Care to Share pls...Tanx
Camera=Sony a900

Sample pics with full EXIF will really help.

Honestly, I don't like to pp my pics bro as I like it original. Will try to upload some pics once i find out how to.
Camera was set at Manual Mode and also tried A Mode at f2.8, 8-11.
How would I go about Fine Tuning the Camera bro??? Care to Share pls...Tanx
Camera=Sony a900

At long distances, you should not need to worry about front/back focus. The A900 can do AF microadjustment, but this applies more to lenses with a very shallow DOF, like the CZ 135 at 1.8

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr17/whtewolf_2008/DSC01460.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr17/whtewolf_2008/DSC01458.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr17/whtewolf_2008/DSC01464.jpg

Hi Guys...
Here are the pics I took...
1. DSCO1460.jpg= at 200mm, f9, exp 1/2...10sec timer used (Sigma)
2. DSCO1458.jpg= at 105mm, f9, exp 1/6...10sec timer used (24-105 kit lens)
3. DSCO1464.jpg= at 200mm, f2.8, exp 1/25...10sec timer used (Sigma)(nice bokeh though hehehehe)

Notice the diferrence? Is this acceptable? or Am I just being fussy with the Pics and just not being Happy with the Lens? or Am I just doing it all wrong?
Note... *On the other Reviews that I have read, the Lenses were sent Back for Calibration by Sigma...

Last edited:
Hi dexpense

Tanx for the suggestion will try it out...

BTW aren't we supposed to switch off the IS when a tri-pod is being used?
A little thinker !!!! Hmmm...:think:

definitely shutter shake in your photos, do with proper long lens technique. Search on long lens technique. Everything applies and works together for a sharp picture even with very slow shutter speed like 2secs.

Hi Rashkae

You might just have answered my problems. Different Reviews from different sites.
These are really disappointing hehehehehe.....
Tanx Rashkae

can say much as i don't have the 100% view of it... but this is definitely not zero sharpness as per described... it's soft but i bet some AF fine adjustment via in-body setting might help... you might need this to set the AF fine adjustment right... http://www.lensalign.com/

from the site given... it's tested on almost all Sony sensors but not the one in your camera... i guess i could say you're eff'ed in the a because sub-frame versus full frame reviews are totally different... better sensor expose tiniest flaw of lens... e.g. here http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1236/cat/31 noticed that the blur index is totally acceptable in 20D but turned to totally unusable in 5D?

don't print to the max size you'll be fine... i bet you print these out on a4 size it would be still very acceptable to most...

Hmmm....Long Lens technique !!! Do U have any sites in mind?

Will definitely look into it buddy. Tanx KNPAN

Don't think this Sigma lens has OS.

2nd-ly, I really don't understand the logic behind refusing to post-process files, a technicality which is an accepted part of any photographic workflow process.

Lastly, look up proper lens sharpness testing techniques. It involves far, far more than placing a camera on an unknown tripod and head and using a 10-sec timer.

can say much as i don't have the 100% view of it... but this is definitely not zero sharpness as per described... it's soft but i bet some AF fine adjustment via in-body setting might help... you might need this to set the AF fine adjustment right... http://www.lensalign.com/

from the site given... it's tested on almost all Sony sensors but not the one in your camera... i guess i could say you're eff'ed in the a because sub-frame versus full frame reviews are totally different... better sensor expose tiniest flaw of lens... e.g. here http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1236/cat/31 noticed that the blur index is totally acceptable in 20D but turned to totally unusable in 5D?

don't print to the max size you'll be fine... i bet you print these out on a4 size it would be still very acceptable to most...

Actually have had high hopes of using the lens for full use and printing it into poster size. But i will check out the links tomorrow for further understanding on AF fine adjustmants via the in-body settings, and pro and cons of using this lens on a full frame.
Million tanx ... jaRv1s
I just hope that all will be patient in helping out....hehehehe...Cheers to all and Happy New Year guys

Don't think this Sigma lens has OS.

2nd-ly, I really don't understand the logic behind refusing to post-process files, a technicality which is an accepted part of any photographic workflow process.

Lastly, look up proper lens sharpness testing techniques. It involves far, far more than placing a camera on an unknown tripod and head and using a 10-sec timer.

1.No this Sigma does not have any OS, but it is Built In to the Body itself (Sony).
2ndly. With all the Technologies a Camera has to offer for Sharp Vibrant and Colourful Images, why should we even take pics and have it Post-Processed later.
We take so much time in Learning n Understanding A mode, S mode and blah blah blah, Investing in Expensive/Not Expensive Equipment for that Ultimate Pic but we still end up doing PP, hmmm, don't u think we should just buy any DSLR and not worry about the Image produced since we are going to PP it later. A little thinker there...hehehehe

n Lastly, yes I will look into further improving the techniques for Sharper Images hence the reason I joined ClubSnap to further my knowledge on Photography thru the communication and feedback I have thru all the kind souls out here.
Thank You so much to all for the help/feedback/suggestions I'm getting now.

1.No this Sigma does not have any OS, but it is Built In to the Body itself (Sony).
2ndly. With all the Technologies a Camera has to offer for Sharp Vibrant and Colourful Images, why should we even take pics and have it Post-Processed later.
We take so much time in Learning n Understanding A mode, S mode and blah blah blah, Investing in Expensive/Not Expensive Equipment for that Ultimate Pic but we still end up doing PP, hmmm, don't u think we should just buy any DSLR and not worry about the Image produced since we are going to PP it later. A little thinker there...hehehehe

n Lastly, yes I will look into further improving the techniques for Sharper Images hence the reason I joined ClubSnap to further my knowledge on Photography thru the communication and feedback I have thru all the kind souls out here.
Thank You so much to all for the help/feedback/suggestions I'm getting now.

The PC or Mac is a far more powerful and capable processor than any DSLR could ever be.

Which would you prefer to manage your files, especially if you need optimum quality for poster sized prints?

CHEERS!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.