help! ):

mellymelly

Nov 2, 2010
can someone tell me what's wrong with my canon 550D?

i don't remember tampering with any of the functions or settings, but something has gone wrong with my dslr.

even in normal daylight room conditions, my pictures turn out black! and i'm already tried meddling and adjusting the ISO, the aperture, the shutter speed and the exposure. but it still looks black. even when i put in on fully auto mode, the flash comes on in broad daylight!
and even the self timer for continuous shots mode has a problem. the shots are irregular.
usually, the shots are supposed to be constant. however, since 2 days ago, the shots have gone haywire. some shots probably have an interval of 2 seconds while others have an interval of even 10 seconds!

it just doesn't seem to capture the light!

i'm not sure if its the camera issue or the settings issue, but it wasn't like that before. can someone please advice? your help will be greatly appreciated ):

IMG_0984.jpg

and this was taken in my room in morning at like 12pm? and no, i don't live in a dark hole ):

thanks for the help in advance. :)

You're shooting at f4, iso200, 1/60, which explains why your photo is so dark. Try pumping up the iso, slow down your shutter speed or choose a wider aperture if possible. Eg. ISO 800, 1/30. The photo should be brighter.

Good luck! ;)

u shoot in auto? Then probably u accidentally changed the exposure value EV. See that meter in the viewfinder? from -2...-1...0....1....2

make sure its at 0

Go to your instruction manual page 144, reverting the camera to the default setting & see will it the same again.

Picture taken in shutter priority. Why? Use Auto or P and see the rtesults.
But considering all the other strange effects you mentioned .. maybe bring it to CSC for5 a check-up. Finally cameras have become computers with a lens, they are able to perform the same strange things as those 'buddies' on our desks.

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 550D
Image Date: 2010:11:02 13:08:09
Focal Length: 28.0mm
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

Suggest you reset the camera to Factory Default.

To reset the camera to factory settings, press the up or down cross key to select Clear all camera settings, and then press the Set button.

The Clear all camera settings confirmation screen appears.

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 550D
Image Date: 2010:11:02 13:08:09
Focal Length: 28.0mm
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

Well, for this particular pic, the problem is due to your mode selected.

You selected shutter priority here. The shutter speed is 1/60 ( you control this), your ISO is fixed since it stayed at ISO200. So the camera will try to get to the right exposure by opening the aperture as wide as possible. I am guessing that your lens has max aperture of F4 at 28mm focal length.

Please read this to get an idea of what is what.
Basics of camera operation:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

TS disappear??

Forgot to take off lens cover?

Some people do forget that still ... even for some old timers ... hehehehehe!

This is what I thought at first. :)

Or maybe ND filter is on?

Last edited:

unless her lens cap is translucent maybe. :bsmilie:

ok. thanks guys for all your help!

i think the restore factory settings did help. it's way brighter already. thanks!
i think someone must have meddled with my dslr and changed smth...i'm just wondering what setting they changed. :confused:

thanks for all your help!
and no! i didn't take it with the lens cap on. (though like many others, i've tried to take pictures w/o removing the cap first.) lols. :X

ありがとう~! :)

i believe TS accidentally adjusted the compensation exposure value ... sometime it's also happen to me.... :embrass:

most important --- read the manual :bsmilie:

is this better?

IMG_09841.jpg

Last edited: