help!!!

walnutwalnut

Jul 9, 2010
Hey, I'm really new to photography and just recently purchased the Epl1, with the 14-42mm lens, which I really regret not buying the twin lens kit. I have a few questions here would really appreciate if someone can answer my queries.

1) What in the world are manual lenses? I've looked online and these lenses are so cheap compared to the specific m4/3 ones! Should I get one to try it out? Is manual focusing difficult to learn? By manual focus, does it mean that I would not be able to capture fast moving objects?
Also, if I get one of these lenses, can I still use the art filters along with these lenses? Lastly, is it possible to do without the VF2?

2) What is a good all in one lens? One that is good for taking shallow DOP (pls correct me if I am wrong here) & good zoom which isn't too pricey? I need a good zoom because I do sports and with the 14-42mm lens I can't ever seem to zoom enough. Yet, I would like the achieve the shallow DOP effect when I am out with friends. I have been reading up quite alot and reckon that 14-150mm is rather good? If I happen to get the 14-150mm lens, is my 14-42mm lens redundant now?
40-150mm with mmf2 is good too? Can manual lenses be a substitute? By the way, my budget is < S$300. Pls advice which lens shd I get. Thanks!

3) Should I get a VF2? or will I do fine with this?

Sorry for ignorance! Thanks in advance!

Did you do ANY searching online? At all? Google really would help you a lot...

1. Manual lenses are manual focus lenses. Of course you can still capture fast-moving subjects, assuming you've prefocused. That's how they did it before AF was invented. :p As for the art filters, you mean the in-camera effects? That has nothing to do with the lens.

2. Achieving shallow DOF (Depth of Field) is more a function of aperture. An "all in one lens" is a "master of none, but ok at all" lens. You won't get very good shallow DOF effects unless you're at the full 150mm setting (but then you need to stand faaaaar away). Best tolook for a large-aperture prime lens, but shallow DOF effects have long been an issue of m4/3 owners (who then usually buy a normal DSLR for such effects).

3. The VF-2 is just an EVF; up to you if you want it or not.

Thanks so much. Sorry, pardon me for my ignorance. So do you reckon I should get a manual lens to try out on my camera to get a hands on experience of what you are talking about? Or should I just stick to the lenses made specifically for m4/3s. If so, which lens is cheap to try out?

I read somewhere that without the evf, manual focusing is virtually impossible to do. Is the true? Oh and what's the difference between the VF1 and VF2. I know VF1 is an optical viewfinder whereas VF2 is an electronic one however what difference does it make?

One last question, what's the difference between manual lens,legacy lens and cctv lens?

Thanks again in advance! =)

Been playing with manual lenses after purchasing my gf-1. You should try it too.

Recommed to get the VF-2 for better focusing under bright sunny day.

Google for C mount lens, I think u will like the effect too.

One last question, what's the difference between manual lens,legacy lens and cctv lens?

Wah, you really never heard of google, huh? Manual is a manual focus lens, legacy lens is a very old lens (usually also manual) and CCTV lens is a lens made for CCTV cameras.

Then again, common sense would make that logical too...

Thanks so much. Sorry, pardon me for my ignorance. So do you reckon I should get a manual lens to try out on my camera to get a hands on experience of what you are talking about? Or should I just stick to the lenses made specifically for m4/3s. If so, which lens is cheap to try out?

I read somewhere that without the evf, manual focusing is virtually impossible to do. Is the true? Oh and what's the difference between the VF1 and VF2. I know VF1 is an optical viewfinder whereas VF2 is an electronic one however what difference does it make?

Thanks again in advance! =)

err... isn't that different enough for you?
the optical one is just a box with a window that approximates what you'll capture with the pancake lens (17mm) if I'm not mistaken. If you use the kit lens (14-42) and zoom, you'll probably see no difference through the viewfinder, since this isn't a DSLR (actually looking through the lens)

the electronic one is a miniature TV screen, basically.

If you ask me whether VF1 or VF2 is better, I say the viewfinder of a DSLR is better :D

Electronic Viewfinder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_viewfinder
Single Lens Reflex (SLR) camera: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera
(Hint: a DSLR is the same, just having a sensor instead of film.)
Happy reading.

Hey all, thanks for the help!! I just bought a manual lens i found off the internet just to give it a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/SLR-Magic-35.../250673066577?pt=Camera_Lenses#ht_1577wt_1021

Anybody had experience with this?

Eh did you also get the adapter to mount that manual lens on your camera ?

UPDATE: After looking at the link , you bought one that doesnt needs one. so ignore the question heh

Last edited: